the two most important bands of the 70s

osoz

Ok you get it name the two bands of the 1970s you think were the most important for whatever reason you like. Mine are easy enough, Sex Pistols and those Led Zeppelin dudes.

Zeppelin & Floyd, however a very close second would be Jim Croce.

Since when was Jim Croce a band or in a (name) band? I like Jim Croce but he was a "solo" artist, and a damn great solo artist. I can think of at least 25 more bands and "names" that were more important in the 1970's. I am going with the topic headline. Which is bands.

Besides the obvious of Led Zeppelin and the regular other fixtures, (RS. DP. BS. PF. Q.etc..) I would have to go with a real band and not a "solo" name.

RUSH.

... and possibly the Eagles. I realize that this may be a controversial pick (and I Myself had a hard time thinking of it), but this is an opinion ?

Its obvious who the most important (influential) band is, given whom this forum is for.

While all of the other bands mentioned are very good choices, they are subjective personal opinions.

For me it was Crazy Horse.

Another band worth mentioning was the Doors.

The Beatles breaking up in 1970 had a dramatic effect on and caused a dynamic shift in the way music (especially played live), evolved in the seventies and that cannot be understated.

Page and Plant even said as much in an interview at that time.

So they are an important band too, in a roundabout sort of way.

Important in what way, album sales, concert ticket sales, radio plays, personal favourites, genre, locally, nationally, worldwide, opinion in the press, impact over the whole decade.

Impossible to choose just two bands.

Important in any way you like. It is of course just a bit of entirely subjective fun.

I chose LZ as being the most likely candidate for collecting together musical influences from the past and giving them to a new generation and many that followed and also for making them sound better than anyone else could have.

I chose the Pistols for throwing everything out of the window and being themselves.

There were plenty more I thought about and I did choose bands on purpose over 'artists' which could be a whole different thing. Then Iggy Pop/David Bowie would have got the place instead of the Pistols for example in my picks.

I read "important" as "influential." I think Zep and Sabbath have to be it, and not just because they're my favorite two bands :D So many bands have copied their styles. In all honesty I think Sabbath was inspired by Zeppelin, but their sound still is unique (it has been copied very badly by numerous bands, as I've ranted about before). I love the Doors but they were just really good songwriters...no more influential than numerous other bands of the 60s. The Sex Pistols? they were unique in marrying the garage rock sound with political lyrics that were borderline offensive. Sadly few have followed in their footsteps and thus they were not influential..but perhaps they are important for just that reason.

Since when was Jim Croce a band or in a (name) band? I like Jim Croce but he was a "solo" artist, and a damn great solo artist. I can think of at least 25 more bands and "names" that were more important in the 1970's. I am going with the topic headline. Which is bands.

Besides the obvious of Led Zeppelin and the regular other fixtures, (RS. DP. BS. PF. Q.etc..) I would have to go with a real band and not a "solo" name.

RUSH.

... and possibly the Eagles. I realize that this may be a controversial pick (and I Myself had a hard time thinking of it), but this is an opinion ?

My bad, I tried to correct that after I posted it but the edit function would not work, but I agree.

Led Zeppelin are obviously #1.

They were to the 70's what The BEATLES were to the 60's

number 2 is much tougher..

so many to consider.. The 70's was imo the greatest music decade

Pink Floyd gets my vote for #2

but ..Elton John

David Bowie

Black Sabbath

Deep Purple

Rolling Stones

Kiss

Queen

Aerosmith

Sweet

Yes

Todd Rundgren

Ramones

ELP

The Who

Aerosmith

Sex Pistols

Alice Cooper

Cat Stevens

Eagles

Grand Funk Railroad

Kraftwerk etc could all be equally considered #2 by some and it wouldn't bother me one bit.

The number one spot is inarguable if you ask me..

The Beatles breaking up in 1970 had a dramatic effect on and caused a dynamic shift in the way music (especially played live), evolved in the seventies and that cannot be understated.

Indeed...The Beatles were a hard act to follow...shit, fourty five years after they broke up, they're still a hard act to follow!

Led Zeppelin are obviously #1.

They were to the 70's what The BEATLES were to the 60's

Led Zeppelin were the Beatles of the 70's, no question. I reckon they're still second in popularity to the Fabs, even after all these years. The Stones, Who, Pink Floyd etc have always had their moments of being in and out of fashion, Zep and The Beatles' popularity has never waned.

I chose the Pistols for throwing everything out of the window and being themselves.

The Sex Pistols are great -especially considering their true legacy consists of exactly one album- but in reality they were as manufactured as any 'boy band'. If Johnny Rotten was 'being himself' he would have stuck with being John Lydon.

But I digress...

Two most important bands of the seventies, for me? Led Zeppelin and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Zeppelin for obvious reasons; CSNY because they sorta begat the whole 70's singer/songwriter movement which culminated in The Eagles and their ilk.

I do not believe so much in the Sex Pistols being manufactured.

There was the reality, then came the Malcolm McLaren story of the 'chaos' he created.

Truth be told he had minimal input and the Pistols wrote much of their own material. McLaren did not have the first clue how to manage the band. I think he was quite shocked that they got better over time and had enough material for an album.

Indeed...The Beatles were a hard act to follow...shit, fourty five years after they broke up, they're still a hard act to follow!

Two most important bands of the seventies, for me? Led Zeppelin and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Zeppelin for obvious reasons; CSNY because they sorta begat the whole 70's singer/songwriter movement which culminated in The Eagles and their ilk.

This is one of the reasons I picked the Eagles. If the Beatles were the singer/songwriter band of the Sixties, the Eagles filled that role in the Seventies. Bands with multiple lead singer/songwriters usually don't stay together very long due to clashing egos and artistic differences. The Beatles and Eagles both managed to hold it together for roughly a decade.

Archived