San Diego at Minnesota

Tampa Bay at Houston 

San Francisco at Arizona

Buffalo at Miami 

Chicago at Seattle

Denver at Detroit

MON. SEPT. 28

Kansas City at Green Bay

Dallas...I think Dallas can easily go .500 during Romo's absence...no need to panic.

Baltimore...so tempted to pick the Bungles but Cincy history is littered with them losing these types of games...especially in the Marvin Lewis era.

Tennessee...Never believed the hype about Luck being an elite QB but I didn't think he would be this bad...not that I mind as it is easy to hate the Colts.

New England...the schedule has been kind early in the season for the Patriots...they get two weeks to rest up and prepare for Dallas, too.

Carolina..No Brees equals big trouble for New Orleans and Sean Payton...things have not been the same for the Saints since Bountygate. Poor Brett.

Oakland...man, I was hoping it would be Carr vs. Johnny Football...but Manziel is back on the bench and McCown gets the start a little too soon after that concussion, I think.

NYJets...another team that I revel in seeing lose is Philadelphia...and Chip Kelly reminds me of Mangini in that he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and doesn't realize the NFL is different than the NCAA.

Pittsburgh...both offenses can score so this may be a shootout.

Minnesota...glad to see the Vikings remembered they had Adrian Peterson.

Houston...why not? They've gotta win at least once game.

Arizona...as long as Carson Palmer can remain upright, the Cardinals are a playoff team.

Miami...just when things look bleakest, Miami usually turns around and surprises people with a win when you least suspect it...but either way, this will be a close, ugly game.

Seattle...look what the schedule gods gifted to the Seahawks...Da Stinking Bears.

Denver...is it too early to give up on the Lions?

Green Bay...Rogers at Lambeau is pretty unbeatable the last few years.

Washington at NY Giants

Atlanta at Dallas

Cincinnati at Baltimore

Indianapolis at Tennessee

Jacksonville at New England

New Orleans at Camolina

Oakland at Cleveland 

Philadelphia at NY Jets

Pittsburgh at St. Louis

San Diego at Minnesota

Tampa Bay at Houston 

San Francisco at Arizona 

Buffalo at Miami 

Chicago at Seattle

Denver at Detroit

Kansas City at Green Bay

It's a 3-way race this week between in_the_eveningjabe, and Steal Away Now Baby Rose. All three are at 12-3 and ite and jabe have Green Bay tonight and SANBR has KC.

Ooops...I made a clerical error. apantherfrommd is also 12-3, so it is a 4-way tie...Andy also has Green Bay.

:party::drinks: Congratulations and drinks all around to our three winners this week: apantherfrommdin_the_evening, and jabe! Their pick of the Packers allowed them to finish on top this week at 13-3. Andy has now finished first two of the first three weeks...break up the panther! And unlike last week, with a few exceptions, all of us had a pretty good week. May Week 4 be so kind to us.

Week 4 Results:

apantherfrommd: 13-3*

in_the_evening: 13-3*

jabe: 13-3*

Anjin-san: 12-4

ebk: 12-4

jb126: 12-4

Steal Away Now Baby Rose: 12-4

Walter: 12-4

zepscoda: 12-4

paul carruthers: 11-5

Strider: 11-5

LedZeppfan77: 10-6

Reggie29: 9-7

Bong-Man: 8-8

Season Standings After 48 games:

1. apantherfrommd: 33-15**

2. jb126: 30-18

2. Walter: 30-18

3. Anjin-san: 29-19*

3. in_the_evening: 29-19*

4. Strider: 28-20

4. zepscoda: 28-19

5. Bong-Man: 27-21

5. ebk: 27-21

5. jabe: 27-21*

5. paul carruthers: 27-21

6. Reggie29: 26-22

7. LedZeppfan77: 22-26

8. Steal Away Now Baby Rose: 17-14

* = Weekly wins

Week 4 Schedule

THUR. OCT. 1 TIME (ET) 

Baltimore at Pittsburgh 8:25 PM

SUN. OCT. 4 TIME (ET) 

NY Jets at Miami (@ Wembley Stadium, London, England) 9:30 AM 

Jacksonville at Indianapolis 1:00 PM 

NY Giants at Buffalo 1:00 PM 

Carolina at Tampa Bay 1:00 PM 

Philadelphia at Washington 1:00 PM 

Oakland at Chicago 1:00 PM 

Houston at Atlanta 1:00 PM 

Kansas City at Cincinnati 1:00 PM 

Cleveland at San Diego 4:05 PM 

Green Bay at San Francisco 4:25 PM 

St. Louis at Arizona 4:25 PM 

Minnesota at Denver 4:25 PM 

Dallas at New Orleans 8:30 PM 

MON. OCT. 5 TIME (ET) 

Detroit at Seattle 8:30 PM 

Bye: New England, Tennessee

Off to a bad start with the Thursday night loss and the Niners got their arse kicked, again.

I'm sticking solid with them though, never, ever, do I tip or bet against my team. Sometimes to the detriment of my ranking and wallet.The only bright spark in the game was Hayne's return of 37 yards that led to a TD and what turned out to be their only points. I hope Jarryd plays the Packers this week with more game time and against a legendary side like Green Bay. I would love to see how he goes. No-one has seen his sidestep yet and with the blockers protecting the backs he can run 100 yds in even time. I don't get to see all of the games because of time zones and that ain't improving too soon as we go into daylight saving on Sunday.

Anyway on to the next round and with all the injuries I feel a couple of upsets in the wind.

BTW, our National Rugby League Grand Final is on Sunday 5th October (the fourth for all on the other side of the dateline), Some of you may have heard of Cold Chisel, they will be reforming for a rare pre-game set (after the death of their drummer).

Baltimore at Pittsburgh (No Big Ben equals Ravens win)

Miami (I have zero interest in this game--just waiting for the axe to fall on Joe Philbin)

Indianapolis 

Buffalo 

Carolina 

Washington (A real tough pick, but I'm going to roll with the Taters)

Oakland (Raiders should whoop some ass in this one)

Atlanta

Cincinnati 

San Diego 

Green Bay

Arizona 

Denver 

Dallas (What a dud of a Sunday Night game this could potentially be--I'm expecting the Boys to put the hurt on dem Saints)

Seattle 

THUR. OCT. 1 TIME (ET) 

Baltimore

SUN. OCT. 4 TIME (ET) 

NY Jets 

Jacksonville

NY Giants 

Carolina 

Philadelphia

Oakland 

Houston 

Kansas City

Cleveland

San Francisco 

Arizona 

Minnesota 

Dallas

MON. OCT. 5 TIME (ET) 

Seattle 

Do byes count as wins or null and void?

Why isn't every state in the US represented in the NFL, is there a promotion / relegation system in place?

What happened to the Baltimore Colts and Houston Oilers and has LA ever fielded a team?

As for playing games outside the US, there are pros and cons.

If the NFL wants to promote the game internationally with a view to expansion then it is a good idea.

However, supporters may be (justifiably), annoyed that they are missing out.

Maybe exhibition games in the pre-season would be better timed? 

I heard a rumour that the powers that be are working on a plan for the '49ers to play a game in Sydney at ANZ Stadium, that seats 83,500 and would sell out. Interest here has risen mostly because Jarryd Hayne is the first Australian to play in the backs and ANZ was a home ground for him when he played for NSW Blues in State of Origin and Parramatta's big games. In the past Aussies have mostly been imported for their kick / punt skills, so to have a local ball player would be a TV ratings winner too.

The reason behind it all is to reignite the long link between Sister Cities, Sydney and San Francisco that was formally recognised in 1968 to strengthen civic, cultural, business, trade, tourism and sporting ties between the 2 ports on opposite sides of the Pacific. They have similar climates and surfing beaches etc. In 1977, cooperation between gay activists in both cities started the first Sydney Gay Mardi Gras the following year.

Reggie I am with you as for not going against my team.  Those Rugby guys never seem to get injured as easy as NFL guys with all their protective gear.  Tough guys.  How is Russel Crowe's team  doing?  I see you picked the Giants.  Mistake bro.  Paul, so are you picking the Jets or what?  You have to make a pick.

My picks for week 4

Baltimore

NY Jets

Jacksonville

Buffalo

Carolina

Philly

Oakland

Atlanta

Cincy

San Diego

Green Bay

Arizona

Minnesota (upset)

New Orleans     (was it a fluke what Atlanta did to them late?  I think not.  Even though NO has their own big problems, this is a low scoring stinker)

Seattle  (oh you damned Lions.  Another year you disappoint me.  I like Stafford and wanted this team to move forward.  Their coach and Miami's will be first two fired)

Reggie I am with you as for not going against my team.  Those Rugby guys never seem to get injured as easy as NFL guys with all their protective gear.  Tough guys.  How is Russel Crowe's team  doing?  I see you picked the Giants.  Mistake bro.  Paul, so are you picking the Jets or what?  You have to make a pick.

Loyalty is priceless.

They get injured sometimes mostly upper body (shoulder) and leg / groin / hip. South Sydney got knocked out in the finals (playoffs). This Sunday will be the first time two Queensland teams play off in a Grand Final, anywhere let alone Sydney and one of those rare times a NSW team isn't at the big dance.

I figure with a lot of fitness questions on key players and the fact that losing teams are closer to a win and visa versa and teams sometimes think all they have to do is turn up and the win will just happen for them, upsets are on the cards. Some match ups are each way propositions Bills and Giants for example and my tip is with no great confidence while others are expected wins / losses. As long as the Niners win all their home and the occasional away games they are a chance of at least being a nuisance team if not going further in the competition.  

^^ I saw my error in not picking the Fins game--it's fixed now, but honestly, I could give 2 shits about Miami right now. Go Mets!

I sense you now feel the way I felt about the Bills many of the last 19 years or so.  Well, you got the Mets in and back in April who would have guessed?  You.   I  cannot buy into the "I do not care about this game".  Its your team so of course you care, admit it or not.  You are pissed off and after the abomination vs my Bills I would be also.  I wonder who gets whacked first?  Miami's coach or Detroit's.  I say Miami because Detroit has a history of allowing bad coaches to hang around too long

Baltimore at Pittsburgh  (they gotta win at some point, right?)

NY Jets at Miami 

Jacksonville at Indianapolis 

NY Giants at Buffalo 

Carolina at Tampa Bay 

Philadelphia at Washington  (sure, why not...)

Oakland at Chicago

Houston at Atlanta

Kansas City at Cincinnati

Cleveland at San Diego 

Green Bay at San Francisco 

St. Louis at Arizona  

Minnesota at Denver 

Dallas at New Orleans

Detroit at Seattle 

Do byes count as wins or null and void?

Why isn't every state in the US represented in the NFL, is there a promotion / relegation system in place?

What happened to the Baltimore Colts and Houston Oilers and has LA ever fielded a team?

1) The season schedule is set up so that every team gets a "bye week", meaning they get an extra week where they practice/rest and don't play a game.

Hence, every team plays 16 games in the regular season, and also has a bye week, which equals the regular season length of 17 weeks.

They don't get a win/loss/tie for the bye week because everything equalizes at the end of the season, after everyone has had a bye week. No matter when a team's bye week is, every one plays 16 games in a season.

2) The NFL revolves around money. You've gotta have a lot of cash to start a football team, and you have to have a large enough population to buy your tickets so that your team can stay afloat. States with small populations, like Vermont, simply don't have the money/people to sustain a pro football team.

However, it also depends on logistics. The NFL has an even number of teams right now, which makes things perfect and easy to divide. An odd number of teams would greatly complicate the inner workings of the NFL, like scheduling and regulations.

But, in the end, its really about money. That's why every state isn't represented in all the other sports as well.

3) a. The Baltimore Colts, in an infamous event that still angers Baltimore natives (and Baltimore Raven fans) to this very day, moved to Indianapolis, Indiana in the middle of the night on March 29, 1984, without announcing the move. They are now the Indianapolis Colts.

b. The Houston Oilers moved to Nashville, Tennessee in 1997, became the Tennessee Oilers for two seasons, and then arrived at their current name of the Tennessee Titans in 1999.

c. There is another interesting relocation that happened. In 1996, the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Baltimore Ravens. However, it was eventually decided that while a team's personnel could move to another city, their heritage (records & stats) stayed in the original city, and the franchise would be reactivated with new personnel. Which is exactly what happened, and which is how we got the Ravens after the Colts left.

4) LA had two teams: the Los Angeles Rams, who moved to Anaheim, California, and then St. Louis, Missouri; and the Los Angeles Raiders, who moved back to Oakland, California after originally starting out there.

Archived