RIP Muhammad Ali 1942-2016

SuperDave

Now being reported that one of the great boxing champions of all time Muhammad Ali has passed away.  I had heard yesterday that he was hospitalized but for something that was not that serious and perhaps pneumonia  (spelling now corrected for those , who saw original).  Will correct later.  One of the all time greats and did originate the rope a dope in the ring.  So much we can say about him and not without some controversy and especially in his early years. 

The first boxer I remember from my childhood with so many great memories and watching so many of his matches, before it became just a big money event as it was a time you could see him compete in a match and not have to pay extra like now for some PPV event!

Plenty of links I'm sure on this and will be easy to find.  Will be plenty of coverage and won't be able to avoid this over the weekend!

Edited by SuperDave

“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality. If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail, so what? We’ve been in jail for 400 years.”

Muhammad Ali

download.jpg

Ali was not just a master boxer, but a master self-promoter, and a giant who most importantly stood up for an important cause at the risk of ending his career. Love him or hate him, Ali had balls the size of grapefruits and never sacrificed his integrity.

Rest in peace

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Ali was not just a master boxer, but a master self-promoter, and a giant who most importantly stood up for an important cause at the risk of ending his career. Love him or hate him, Ali had balls the size of grapefruits and never sacrificed his integrity.

Rest in peace

Very true and well put!   And also to Chef Free for the great Ali quote, which sums up a lot of this as well!

e3080d582fba6617770f6a7067005d84.jpg

Cassius Clay. Muhammad Ali. The Louisville Lip. The Greatest. G.O.A.T.

It has been coming for some time but damn if the news of Ali's death still didn't knock me cold when I heard about it coming out of a show tonight. I can't sleep and am reading articles and watching news coverage...ESPN is wall to wall Ali. As it should be.

Yes, people die every day...even stars and celebrities are mortal. We are getting older and so are our icons. It is a sign of how debased the words 'legend' and 'icon' have become when they are thrown around on unworthy people such as Kanye West, Lebron James, Peyton Manning, Kobe Bryant, the Kardashians. Their mark and legacy is puny compared to the impact Muhammad Ali had on the world.

Ali & The Beatles5.jpg

Whether as Cassius Clay or as Muhammad Ali, he shook up the world. First of all, he was the greatest wordsmith anyone had ever seen in the world of sports. Loquacious. Voluminous. Witty. He was must-see TV...and this was in a time when you could see athletes on regular TV instead of pay TV or cable. If you were alive in the 1970s you have vivid memories of watching Ali verbally spar with Howard Cosell on ABC's "Wide World of Sports".

He backed up his words, too, beating all the great fighters of his era. Even his fights had memorable titles: "The Fight". "The Rumble in the Jungle". "The Thrilla in Manila". He took on all comers, including the U.S. Government. While he technically lost that battle, he won in the hearts and minds of millions and millions of people around the world who were appalled by the Vietnam War.

He was a giant cultural figure in my life and I was a white suburban kid. I can't imagine the impact he had on the black kids growing up then. Every black athlete alive owes a debt of gratitude to Muhammad Ali. He paved the way.

3596.jpg

As sad as the news of Ali's passing is, with the Alzheimer's he has been suffering with for the past 20 years or so, maybe it is a silver lining that he will suffer no more. Goodbye Champ. Thanks for the memories.

Rest in Peace G.O.A.T.

A must-see for those who haven't seen it, "When We Were Kings" is an outstanding documentary on "The Rumble in the Jungle", Ali vs. Foreman in Zaire 1974.

250px-SupermanVsMuhammadAli.jpg

Edited by Strider

Long live the Champ. I remember being at the Rose parade when he was grand marshal and people went fucking NUTS when he drove by! They showered him with love, it was great. Those Howard Cosell interviews will live forever, comedy gold

23 hours ago, IpMan said:

Rest in peace

Calling Joe Frazier an Uncle Tom and a gorilla to promote himself was shameful. Please don't say he never sacrificed his integrity.

37 minutes ago, zooma said:

Calling Joe Frazier an Uncle Tom and a gorilla to promote himself was shameful. Please don't say he never sacrificed his integrity.

I just heard that he was also a member of a anti Semitic group.  I just can't get behind that kind of thing, sorry.  I hope he at least died in peace. 

Why do you two feel the need to disrespect someone who has made a great contribution to the world?  And after he's dead and unable to set the record straight.  Does it make you feel cool or superior?  Especially repeating unfounded claims of antisemitism.  Why come to a place where we are mourning his loss and offer your negative opinions?  

Very classless guys.

Who can ever forget that electrifying moment he appeared at the opening of the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, shaking with Parkinsons yet still holding the torch aloft. THAT was an incredible moment. 

Edited by SteveAJones

i remember those pay fights like they were yesterday.  You could only see Ali and Foreman or Frazier live if you paid to go downtown on a big screen at the War Memorial here or whatever venue you lived near in the day.  The win by Frazier in the first fight likely had much to do with Ali's 5 year ban.  But take nothing from Joe, he was great too.  The 'Rumble in the Jungle" was a real surprise.  I think Foreman had just knocked Frazier out?  If I have the timeline correct?  Its been a while so correct me if that is not right.

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Who can ever forget that electrifying moment he appeared at the opening of the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, shaking with Parkinsons yet still holding the torch aloft. THAT was an incredible moment. 

Definitely was an unforgettable electrifying moment! RIP Muhammad Ali.

Edited by luvlz2

This got posted on the FB site of the band BANG:

“Bow to the King” was written about Muhammad Ali, who we met one day in the Philadelphia airport. We told him about the album and that we had mailed him a copy after it’s release. Ali told us he wold look for it when he got home. (that’s where he was headed). Later that night Tony answered the phone to ” this is Mrs Mohammad Ali, we found the album and my husband says he will listen to it tonight. Later we received an autographed picture and note from the champ signed Muhammad “Cassius Clay” Ali. What we remember most is how “The Greatest” had the softest hand shake you could imagine.

"Bow to the King" (Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay at the time)

Bow to the King, He's marching down the aisle
His subjects start to scream, they've waited quite a while
The King is dressed in red, His fist are hard as lead
He's waited months to meet, the man he's going to beat
Bow to the King!

He slowly steps inside, across the canvas hide
He hears the bell to fight, He's blinded by the light
Bow to the King!

The King begins to move, His movements are so smooth
The man moves to his right, his eye's are filled with fright
The King connects a right! The man is turning white!
A jab has crushed his jaw, the man begins to fall

In fifteen seconds flat, he's put him on the mat
The man is counted out, the King has won the bout
As the bell begins to ring, the crowd salutes their king
With fist up high, they jab the sky, He's won again they sing!

Bow to the King! Bow to the King! He's won again!
Bow to the King! He's won again!

Song starts at 28.22

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2016 at 11:04 PM, chef free said:

Why do you two feel the need to disrespect someone who has made a great contribution to the world?  And after he's dead and unable to set the record straight.  Does it make you feel cool or superior?  Especially repeating unfounded claims of antisemitism.  Why come to a place where we are mourning his loss and offer your negative opinions?  

Very classless guys.

If this was directed at me, the record shows he used to be part of a group like that which I heard on the news last week. If he evolved from that, then he became a better person and I am glad for that. No need to call names.

My late step father, who boxed when he was young, was fortunate enough to have shook hands with both Ali and Marciano both.   I remember how he talked about Marciano's hands and it was his opinion that Joe Louis was the greatest fighter ever in his prime

Edited by LedZeppfan1977
adding