Cell Phone Etiquette

59LesPaul

You've seen them everywhere.....those little ear pieces for talking on your cell phone...EVERY FUCKING WHERE!

So what's your opinion for people overdoing it? FK's friend bought her one and it drives me fucking nuts! Her friend won't leave her alone now! All she fucking does is call her no matter where we are. If FK doesn't respond, she goes ape shit! So what's too much????

For the record, FK doesn't do the obnoxious talking when she's checking out. Its not her, its her friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see people walking down the street with those earpieces and all I keep thinking of is "why are they talking to themselves outloud" :lol: Some people have indeed become obsesssed with calling people or checking their phones constantly. I see them at the gym ON a stairmaster yapping away. I ask how they think they're working out anything more than their jaws :rolleyes:

People still talk on their cell phones with speaker or ear pieces even though we have that law here. I once served jury duty and the guy running it was a riot. He said you couldn't use your cell phones in a particular area because the clerks don't want to hear your one sided conversation and neither does anyone else :hysterical:

I entertained the thought of getting one...but declined. A computer is enough for me....or a really LOUD YELL !!!!

I've never had a beeper or pager either......I've managed.

I find it rude when people look at their cellphone when it rings and then don't answer it because they don't recognize the number. It may be someone trying to get a hold of them and it's important to the CALLER. But the non-responder to me...INSULTS whoever it may be...cause it just might be IMPORTANT ! So if you have one..have the courtesy to answer it.....It's so ELITIST to have one..and then act like someone else's call coming thru isn't worth your time.

As I said, I just do without...not necessary in my life. Not in anyone's really. What the hell did you do before cell's ? You managed !!!

I saw a bum a few years back that had a mobile phone (I think), he had it in a crisp packet next to his ear and he was talking to someone. I say I think because he could have been crazy and been talking to a crisp packet. :lol: Just a bit of a wierd experience I thought I would share.

But yeah, those earpieces have there uses but can be annoying.

There is no cell phone etiquette where I work, that's for sure. I work at General Motors HQ in Detroit, and you'd think there would some sort of standards regarding cell phones in the office, but there's not. I sit in a cube, and this lady on the other side of the wall has the LOUDEST ring tone. Her phone plays "Love Me Do" by The Beatles, which is a good song and all, but it's an electronic version of the song, and she has it turned up to the loudest setting. Then she proceeds to leave it at her desk when she's in meetings and it rings all the damn time, REALLY LOUD. I'll be on my work phone at my desk, and her phone will go off, and the person I'm on the phone with will say "What the hell is that??", and I'll say "that's a cell phone in the next aisle". Fucking annoying as hell. I always turn my phone to vibrate when I arrive at the office, but most people do not.

I was sitting on a bench one day in Central Park...a girl walks by with her dog. The dog comes up to me, I pet it and give it a hug and look and remark to the girl about how nice her dog is. She looks down at me and says...I'M ON THE PHONE !!

I'm like....NO YOU'RE NOT ! You're not home, your not in a phone booth, you're walking your dog !!!

I'll never get used to it....basically, I hate how people use them like that....go into a corner, or something away from people.....it's just so 'detached' to me.....so detach !!!

Some people take to playing their music through their cell phones on speaker loudly so we all have to hear it which is annoying in and of itself, but it's so distorted that it just sounds like garbled noise.

I also can't stand those nextel phones. Why do we need to hear your entire conversation, again, loudly and distorted.

Some people take to playing their music through their cell phones on speaker loudly so we all have to hear it which is annoying in and of itself, but it's so distorted that it just sounds like garbled noise.

Enter the Chav.

On another note, my boss at my last job (construction) had a bluetooth thing in all the time, so he could work with his hands and manage the site at the same time. We'd make fun of him all the time. It'd catch me all the time too, he'd just start talking and I'd think he's talking to me.

I'd say they're useful, but when you're in a store or the house, take the stupid thing out of your ear, so the people around know when you're talking to them or not.

Enter the Chav.

On another note, my boss at my last job (construction) had a bluetooth thing in all the time, so he could work with his hands and manage the site at the same time. We'd make fun of him all the time. It'd catch me all the time too, he'd just start talking and I'd think he's talking to me.

I'd say they're useful, but when you're in a store or the house, take the stupid thing out of your ear, so the people around know when you're talking to them or not.

Oh I do think they're useful in certain situations but I do agree there's a time and place for it.

Oh god, I hate those fucking Bluetooth things.

I was buying a magazine the other day, and this guy says, (I thought he was talking to me, because he was looking right at me) "Do you want to go to Jamaica?" and I was kind of thinking he was a bit of a creep at this point, so I walked over to the music DVD's, where I ran into him again, and he says, "I think it's a nice spot for a vacation," and then I realised he was talking into his Bluetooth earpiece.

Not only does it make the person wearing it look like an idiot, but it also is a bit annoying, especially when you think people are talking to you.

I understand it's convenient for when you're driving, but outside of the car it's just stupid.

Also, I used to work at a supermarket, and people would come to the checkout on their phones. I'm trying to get their savings card, and they're like, "SHH! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M ON THE PHONE?" I'm not one to get angry, but WHY THE HELL ARE YOU FOOD SHOPPING IF YOU ARE ON THE PHONE?

Also, I used to work at a supermarket, and people would come to the checkout on their phones. I'm trying to get their savings card, and they're like, "SHH! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M ON THE PHONE?" I'm not one to get angry, but WHY THE HELL ARE YOU FOOD SHOPPING IF YOU ARE ON THE PHONE?

I've noticed where some places of business now have signs up that very clearly state they will refuse to do business with you if you aren't polite enough to put away your cellphone during transactions. I imagine we'll be seeing more and more of that has things like the bluetooth phenomenon spread far and wide.

I thought about using a bluetooth device for driving, but those things concentrate the unhealthful aspects of cell phone use right into your earhole, or so they sa

y....

Biggest peeve?  People whose phones ring at a quiet gathering of some sort, then let it go on ringing because they don't want to out themselves as the culprit. :angry:

I only purchased one a few years ago out of sheer necessity. If I'm at a concert, the movies, a bar, etc. I don't even bring it in with me. If I feel like I need to, it definitely goes on "vibrate". Why, oh why people feel compelled to call someone (or take a call) during a concert is beyond me. When I see (and hear) that shit I wanna snatch it from 'em and smash it to smithereens. I read something recently that said cellphones had replaced lighters during encores at concerts. Just how fucking sad is that.

lighter-phone.jpg

cell_phones_are_the_new_cigarette_l.jpg

On the upside I've heard of more than one instance where having a cellphone was responsible for saving someone's life. Still, I don't feel compelled to take mine everywhere I go. Then, on the other hand you never know when it might come in handy. Yes, they're a nuisance when in the wrong hands but they could also help save your life (or someone else's). That alone makes them a pretty important advancement in technology.

I've had a cell since 1997. I has a home phone for a few years, but since I also had a cell, no one ever called me on the home phone--I was paying $40 a month for a phone that I never used. I hate it when people talk on their phones when they're expecting to be helped by a service person at the store, post office, dr. office, etc. Since I work at a grocery store, the etiquitte my boss made standard at our store is "if they're on the phone, don't talk to them. Obviously whatever they're talking about is MUCH more important than anything we could help them with." I use this, too. I don't say anything to them if they come through my line on the phone. I admit, I'll use the phone in public, but I try hard to make sure I step out if I MUST take the call, which most of the time, since no one ever calls me, it's important.

I hate it when people talk on their phones and share information the entire world doesn't need to know--like one girl at school (the university, not the junior high) who was talking about being possibly pregnant and not knowing who the father was... get a grip!

I've had a cell since 1997. I has a home phone for a few years, but since I also had a cell, no one ever called me on the home phone--I was paying $40 a month for a phone that I never used. I hate it when people talk on their phones when they're expecting to be helped by a service person at the store, post office, dr. office, etc. Since I work at a grocery store, the etiquitte my boss made standard at our store is "if they're on the phone, don't talk to them. Obviously whatever they're talking about is MUCH more important than anything we could help them with." I use this, too. I don't say anything to them if they come through my line on the phone. I admit, I'll use the phone in public, but I try hard to make sure I step out if I MUST take the call, which most of the time, since no one ever calls me, it's important.

I hate it when people talk on their phones and share information the entire world doesn't need to know--like one girl at school (the university, not the junior high) who was talking about being possibly pregnant and not knowing who the father was... get a grip!

I'm always running into these jackasses who walk around with the ear thing and are talking too loudly as they are shopping or standing behind me in the checkout line. So I've started doing this thing where I take out my cell phone and start talking loudly (loud enough to annoy the person having their conversation behind me). And the best thing is I pretend like I am ordering prostitues or talking to a drug dealer or something.

Archived