March 21st 1975 Matrix

chef free

Look what I down loaded!  Sounds GREAT too! I can't believe that there are no postings about this Cuztard Pi matrix remaster! (My apologies if there IS a thread about this remaster already going...) 

Here's what the txt file says:

Led Zeppelin - Seattle Center Coliseum 1975-03-21 (SBD/AUD Matrix) 

Matrix/Remaster using independant SBD & AUD recordings to add life to the original SBD. 

Note: This is an edited/remastered/SBD-AUD Matrix version using both the original "Led Zeppelin 1975-03-21 Seattle - Deus Ex Machina SB (EVSD)" soundboard recording that was quickly withdrawn from Dime on 2017-08-02 and immediately replaced by a reseed care of jupiter2101 as below; plus an audience recording from Dime in 2008: "LZ1975-03-21 Seattle Mix CD" (no longer listed on Dime). 
Contrast Clause #1: 
This is different from the following: 
http://www.../torrents-details.php?id=597827 
Led Zeppelin 1975-03-21 Seattle, WA, USA - Deus Ex Machina SB (EVSD) - RESEED -: a reseed of the original SBD used in this matrix 

Contrast Clause #2: 
http://www.../torrents-details.php?id=597994 
Led Zeppelin -- March 21, 1975 -- Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, WA -- Seamingless Version (fade-outs/-ins removed); which is a reworked version SBD recording with the fade-outs/-ins at the end and start of the discs to seamingless crossfades. 

Contrast Clause #3: 
http://www.../torrents-details.php?id=598563 
Led Zeppelin - 1975-03-21 - Seattle, WA (Deus Ex Machina - EVSD - Audience); which is an independant EVSD audience recording of the same show. 

Contrast Clause #4: 
http://www.../torrents-details.php?id=588565 
Led Zeppelin - 1975-03-21 - Seattle, WA, USA (The Hammer Of The Gods) (LSD) [AUD]; which is an independant LSD audience recording of the same show. 

Band: Led Zeppelin 
Venue: Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, Washington, USA 
Date: Friday 21st March 1975 

Original source recording information from Dime torrents: 
Source 1: SBD: Silvers > Exact Audio Copy (Secure Mode) > Flac level 8 (TLH) 

Source 2: AUD: 2 source mix: Both sources: 2a & 2b, mixed and edited at 24bit / 96000kHz. Finished wav files downsampled to 16 bit / 44100kHz CD quality wav files and SBE corrected > flac 
2a: Stan Gutoski's/JEMS master reels x2 @ full-track mono @ 7.5 ips > Bill Bratton's 1st gen reels x2 @ full-track mono @ 7.5 ips > wav (24/96) 
2b: Mike Tate and Mark Gorelick's master cassettes x4 > Bill Bratton's 1st gen reels x2 ( reel 1 @ 3 3/4 ips and reel 2 @ 7 1/2 ips) > wav (24/96) 

This Matrix/Remaster (Cuztard Pi): 
Lineage: HD (*.flac from Dime) -> Foobar2000 -> *.wav -> Audition & Wavelab6 -> *.wav (16bit/44.1kHz) -> Foobar2000 (level 8) -> *.flac -> Dime 

Title: Seattle Center Coliseum (SBD/AUD Matrix)(1975) 

File size: WAV = 2.16GB; flac = 1.28MB 

Set List (3h 40min): 
Intro 
Rock And Roll 
Sick Again 
Over The Hills And Far Away 
In My Time Of Dying 
The Song Remains The Same 
The Rain Song 
Kashmir *** 
No Quarter 
Since I've Been Loving You 
Trampled Underfoot *** 
Moby Dick 
Dazed And Confused *** 
Stairway To Heaven 
~~encore 1~~ 
Whole Lotta Love/The Crunge 
Black Dog 
~~encore 2~~ 
Communication Breakdown 
Heartbreaker 

flac tags, fingerprints, MD5 & folder art files are included. 

*** Note - the recording is continuous but if you want to put it on 4xCDRs then you could split it after: 
Kashmir, Trampled Underfoot, Dazed And Confused. 

Notes: 
I guess we are all becoming (or are already) well spoiled by the various pieces of rare treasure that pop-up now & again on Dime; The SBD of this show that 1st appeared on Dime on 1st Aug 2017 was such a gift.. but then it was suddenly gone (i.e. withdrawn) just 1 day later! ... & then immediately back again as a "reseed". Wow! So it is free for all to listen to free of charge .. isn't Dime great! And what a great show it is! ... over 3 and a half hours of Zeppelin SBD from 1975 (just 2 months earlier than when I first saw them at Earls Court London; so a very welcome addition to my ever expanding collection). 

I thought someone might put up a SBD/AUD matrix of this show to try & add a bit of life to the great but just a bit dry SBD, there were several requests for such a matrix .. but so far it has not happened. So ... having put such a matrix together myself using an old AUD recording that I also got from Dime back in 2008, I thought I would post it on Dime for any who fancy it; a nice alternate to the original. 
Producing SBD/AUD matrix mixes using modern digital recordings is relatively easy .. but doing the same with old (i.e. '70's) analogue recordings (especially with 3+1/2 hours length!) is a bit more difficult .. bottom line, it has taken me well over a week to sync up the SBD & AUD recordings and produce the matrix. ... but it came out very nice & well worth sharing back via Dime .. so here it is. 
Check out the samples posted in the thread below to hear whether you want to grab this alternative version of this fine show or not. I think it sounds GREAT & I prefer it to the original SBD! 

For those interested - basic details of the mixing & mastering applied to the original 2 Dime sources (using Wavelab6 & HarBal) are as follows: 
A: Balance left & right channel volume & frequency response for the SBD source 
B: Apply balancing EQ to both SBD & AUD sources 
C: Mix 2 sources with adjustments to the stereo image 
D: Finalise matrix mix EQ plus apply light compression & limiting (~ -1dB max; -12.4dBrms average) 
E: Adjust final volume levels to balance out dynamics 
F: Add silent lead-in & -out plus fade ins & outs 
G: track split 

A note for any finicky audiophiles out there: 
Mixing & remastering of the original sources has been done with the aim of enhancing the listening experience. If you prefer virgin recordings, unspoiled by any such amateur 'dabbling' then do not join in on this one. Be warned now ... I don't want any whingeing! ;-). 
... and don't forget that the original SBD is currently still available on Dime; see link above. 

But for the rest of you Dime'ers I recommend that you GO FOR THIS ONE ... you won't be disappointed! I score the sound quality as 9 out of 10 ( = A- ); but hey! ... don't flame me if you don't agree ... & at least keep it friendly ;-) 

If you have any comments, whether positive, negative or otherwise, I would love to read them ... don't be a lurker! 
SUPPORT THE ARTIST BY BUYING THEIR STUFF! 

IF YOU LIKE IT SHARE IT!! 

FREE TRADE ONLY - NOT FOR SALE!!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
A CURSE ON ANYONE SELLING THIS RECORDING!!!!! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Enjoy - Cuztard Pi - 19th August 2017

Edited by chef free

There's been a mention of it on the New Mystery Soundboard thread, but I think this is worthy of its own discussion. I just got done listening to Heartbreaker and it sounds 1000% better than the soundboard. Much more lively, brutal, and in your face. For some reason, many of the 75 boards have left me feeling cold. I guess it was a combination of Plant's weak voice and Page's clean tone. I can definitely say that I'm going to be blasting this one repeatedly though. The matrix really makes the guitar come across rather loudly and I'm consistently blown away by Plant's voice at this show. He sounds almost as good as he did in 77 (or a good night in 73).

Edited by ZepHead315

Its a good effort, but I think this project could use a version 2.0 from the maker of this matrix. IDK who made it, they came close, but I think they should run back through it, sync the audio a tiny bit more, maybe reduce the amount of audience recording 25%, and pan the soundboard slightly right and the audience recording a tiny bit more than that to the left. It does sound flangey, but all the good matrixes only have a touch of audience recording. They're nowhere near 50/50% sbd/aud. Not the good ones. Just hoping this guy gives it a little more time bc honestly it could come out REALLY good. I give it a 7/10 at the moment, only because the flanging sound. Just being honest, if I knew how to do these well I'd do them too...

So basically, to whoever made this matrix, give it a couple months of work then release version 2.0. You might be surprised how popular that matrix could become. Just a little less audience tape. IMO.

Edited by Dirty Work

2 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

There's been a mention of it on the New Mystery Soundboard thread, but I think this is worthy of its own discussion. I just got done listening to Heartbreaker and it sounds 1000% better than the soundboard. Much more lively, brutal, and in your face. For some reason, many of the 75 boards have left me feeling cold. I guess it was a combination of Plant's weak voice and Page's clean tone. I can definitely say that I'm going to be blasting this one repeatedly though. The matrix really makes the guitar come across rather loudly and I'm consistently blown away by Plant's voice at this show. He sounds almost as good as he did in 77 (or a good night in 73).

Just an FYI. It's not so much that Page used a clean tone during the 75' tour, but rather the soundboard does not pick up a good portion of the effects as that is the purpose of a soundboard. The whole purpose of a soundboard recording is so the band have a document of which they can reference as a tool to polish their performance. They use this to hear what worked and what did not; where the mistakes and missteps were; pacing of the show etc. They prefer a board reference to an audience source as it will expose every little flaw whereas an aud recording is a much more accurate portrayal of what was heard live by the audience and is more forgiving. However, even the best aud recording is a mere shadow of what is actually experienced live. The combination of volume, effects, and ambient sound will mask most mistakes made on guitar and even voice as they are in a higher register compared to the drums and bass. You have a off night for the drummer or bass player and the show will sound like shit experienced live. The lower the frequency, the more difficult to hide the flaws. One would think it would be the opposite but that is sound waves for ya.

I figure this is the reason why Page in interviews always said he "brought it" every night because in a sense he did. If you were there in 77' for an off night like some of the Landover gig's etc. you would not have noticed a thing. However, Tempe is a different story as the show is not only technically deficient on Page's part but also sluggish which cannot be glossed over.

These new 21-3-75' matrix's are amazing, almost official release quality but without the editing...bonus!

I listened to this over the weekend and was more or less blown away! The detail of a soundboard but the liveliness of an audience recording. There's a moment where the aud drops out during Black Dog and you can hear how sterile the sbd is on its own. My only complaint would be that on the mellotron songs, the guitar is drowned out. Particularly Kashmir, you can barely hear the guitar. Fantastic show. Especially Dazed and Confused, which has loads of inventive improvs, through the end of the show the band is on fire. But good vibes throughout. The only thing approaching a turkey is Trampled Underfoot, where they lose their place, but make up for it during the jam.

I've been listening all weekend and I'm ready to pronounce this the best 1975 tape! I just can't get over how good this matrix sounds! It's got the great sound quality of Four Blocks in the Snow with what, in my opinion, is a much better show.  Best'75 Dazed and Confused for sure, I love the Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Pigs reference at about 9 min!

Man, I'm just giddy over this! What more can u ask for? A spectacular show captured and 40 yrs later displayed in a manner such as this is pure fucking bliss for me and the sole reason I still obsess over Led Zeppelin...it all about the live stuff. There's too many hair raising moments here to count but I'm having a blast cranking the shit out of this beauty and will be for many years to come, no doubt. IMO Jimmy's solo on STH is one of his most inspired ever. There's so many licks and phrases I've never heard him do before or since such as that fast repeating run at 9:08 to 9:25, or the quick pull offs at 9:30 to 9:43. Then, there's Bonham dropping the hammer and pushing Jimmy into unexplored terrain all along the way. Its fucking glorious, any way you look at it. 

Good times :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think a good title for this show would be "No Lighted Material", which the MC says right before the show starts.

Is that Jimmy who says "get it together Bonzo" while Plant is introducing No Quarter? 

Man, that 1975 set list - an epic NQ right after Kashmir.  Dig the borderline avant garde piano near the end of the No Quarter jam where Jones piles up the dissonances. 

One other note - what other rock singer would say something like "somber intonations" ?   

Hi all. Does anyone know if there are other matrix versions of this show out there? I have the Cuztard Pi one. Dadgad did a remaster but I think that’s the soundboard only. Eat a Peach released a matrix but I think I read somewhere that they just issued the Cuztard Pi version, but with the artwork and silvers etc

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed, can't understand why there isn't more of a buzz about this. An incredible show in quality I never thought was possible for a boot. The whole band are killing it here. This will be my 'go-to' '75 show for a long time to come.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I hate to necro this thread, but I also don't want to start a new topic, and am unsure which of y'all I should PM, as a start. Does anybody have a FLAC link to this, in 2022? (I found the 320-mp3 version on a Japanese archive site, but the gaps between songs are ALL sorts of messed-up, and I can't just cut the silence in Audacity because the actual lines of the waveforms necessary to bridge the tracks seem to be cut off, also.) Pretty please and thank you, all.

26 minutes ago, EmpireFaust said:

I hate to necro this thread, but I also don't want to start a new topic, and am unsure which of y'all I should PM, as a start. Does anybody have a FLAC link to this, in 2022? (I found the 320-mp3 version on a Japanese archive site, but the gaps between songs are ALL sorts of messed-up, and I can't just cut the silence in Audacity because the actual lines of the waveforms necessary to bridge the tracks seem to be cut off, also.) Pretty please and thank you, all.

PM'd you.