The O2 In Retrospect...

As we come up to nearly 11 years since the Concert for Ahmet Ertegun, co-founder of Atlantic Records, at the O2 Venue in London,

I am reminded of how self-centered Robert was to not want to do another handful of shows for that Tribute and re-union of Led Zep.

Over the years since that famous night in December 2007, I have come to the conclusion that a "one off" concert for Ahmet and Zeppelin

was not only a selfish decision on Robert's behalf, but a real travesty to us as fans, the music world, and personally to the other members of Zeppelin

and their families.

For all the rehearsals, time away from families and projects, and all the logistical aspects for that Night, they all now seem like a looming shadow

over Robert's insistence not to continue that energy and good will. A shadow that grows longer and darker as the years pass and a Zeppelin

reunion, for whatever reason, becomes nearly impossible.

That Night at the O2 was so incredibly great and magical, can one imagine if they continued for even a handful of shows in different parts of the world

where Ahmet and Zeppelin had such over-whelming influence and support.

Let's take North America for instance. A show would have certainly been well received in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Tampa, and say Dallas.

All places where Zeppelin was noted for Tour stops back in their hey-day. All famous for their sold out venues and amazing, if not crazed, fans.

Not only would that have been the right thing to do, I believe that with time and more shows - the Band would have gotten even better and tighter

as a unit! Imagine...

But no. Robert would have none of it. And we as fans, and the music world, are lesser for his decision. Ahmet made Atlantic Records famous in the 

US first. That's where his real market was. That's where he passed away and a tribute by Zeppelin would have been well suited in those and other cities.

Jimmy, John Paul, and Jason were all on board, fired up, and ready to continue their success from that Night at the O2.

All the pieces were in place. Everything. The Band was so rehearsed and even Jason was more than ready to fill his dad's big boots.

But Robert held his ground and denied himself, and the members, and the fans that couldn't attend the O2 concert, a once in a lifetime chance to see Zeppelin

reach new heights, a new audience, and make certain that Ahmet was given his due in the United States. His home away from home.

Looking back, for what did Robert prove. 11 years almost gone - what was the point in not giving 6 months more in 2007 - 2008 to a Band's legacy.

The Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary has come and gone now - with nothing new or exciting to talk about....

Robert, I love you beyond words. Thank you for all of your artistry and true inspiration. Your integrity will never be second guessed.

However, your insistence on not continuing that magical Zeppelin resurgence at the O2, will also be a chapter in any historical accounting of the mighty

Led Zeppelin. Maybe you don't care, but we do; and I'm certain the other Band members do as well now that Time has marched onward from that Night.

Edited by nirvana
spelling

It was well filmed.  A great performance. It is the only way the millions of fans can enjoy it.  Even a handful of additional shows would have been impossible for all but the very lucky to see.

Be grateful for what we got.  It was way more than we thought we would ever get. 

I, for one, am grateful to Robert Plant for not agreeing to any more shows. Would anyone in their right mind want Zep to end up like The Stones or The Who? Very old men trading on past glories? The 02 was much needed to cement the legacy of Zeppelin in history after the horror of Live Aid and other subsequent reunions. Plant gets a lot of stick about not wanting to reform the group when it would have been so easy for him to say yes from a purely financial point of view because a Zep tour would have raked in hundreds of millions. And, in any case, Plant's last four years with Led Zeppelin were unbelievably traumatic and tragic. Would you want to revisit that, if that were you?

It's time to give Percy a break. The man broke his voice singing for the best band that ever lived and lost even more on a personal level. I think he is the greatest vocalist and front man of any group that has ever existed. And he was Bonzo's best mate. 

11 minutes ago, morningson said:

I, for one, am grateful to Robert Plant for not agreeing to any more shows. Would anyone in their right mind want Zep to end up like The Stones or The Who? Very old men trading on past glories? The 02 was much needed to cement the legacy of Zeppelin in history after the horror of Live Aid and other subsequent reunions. Plant gets a lot of stick about not wanting to reform the group when it would have been so easy for him to say yes from a purely financial point of view because a Zep tour would have raked in hundreds of millions. And, in any case, Plant's last four years with Led Zeppelin were unbelievably traumatic and tragic. Would you want to revisit that, if that were you?

It's time to give Percy a break. The man broke his voice singing for the best band that ever lived and lost even more on a personal level. I think he is the greatest vocalist and front man of any group that has ever existed. And he was Bonzo's best mate. 

Just because they’re old doesn’t mean they can’t still rock and roll. Rock and roll isn’t about age, it’s about the music. Sure the Stones aren’t as fast and pretty on stage as they were in the 60’s and 70’s but you’ll still buy a ticket to see the greatest play. However, Zeppelin should do one last tour for their 50th anniversary to end it all on a high note. 

12 minutes ago, TheMadIrishman said:

Just because they’re old doesn’t mean they can’t still rock and roll. Rock and roll isn’t about age, it’s about the music. Sure the Stones aren’t as fast and pretty on stage as they were in the 60’s and 70’s but you’ll still buy a ticket to see the greatest play. However, Zeppelin should do one last tour for their 50th anniversary to end it all on a high note. 

Didn’t they end it on a high note back in 2007? 

You know, since you mention it, I believe ALL the remaining members were selfish pricks for not playing the O2 in Turkey, Ahmet's country of birth. I mean, why would the lads want to play this incredible one-off (it was always supposed to be a one-off per the contract, Page, Jones, and Bonham wanted to change the terms after the gig) in the UK of all places? C'mon, just because it was their home country, just because they rarely toured there compared to North America is NO EXCUSE not to have performed in Turkey...maybe the Hagia Sophia? Talk about the Hammer of the Gods, or at least the Mallet of Allah :D

1 minute ago, IpMan said:

You know, since you mention it, I believe ALL the remaining members were selfish pricks for not playing the O2 in Turkey, Ahmet's country of birth. I mean, why would the lads want to play this incredible one-off (it was always supposed to be a one-off per the contract, Page, Jones, and Bonham wanted to change the terms after the gig) in the UK of all places? C'mon, just because it was their home country, just because they rarely toured there compared to North America is NO EXCUSE not to have performed in Turkey...maybe the Hagia Sophia? Talk about the Hammer of the Gods, or at least the Mallet of Allah :D

And it was getting close to Christmas as well

Plant participated actively in 2 Page & Plant tours as I recall,  of which virtually the entire show consisted of Zeppelin music.  I saw them twice and it was glorious,  especially since I was too young to have seen Zeppelin.  The 02 show was the perfect live finale for the band.   I have no complaints with Mr. Plant

Nirvana, I couldn't even read your whole post!  "Robert's "selfish" because he won't go on tour with Zeppelin so I can see them, boo hoo..."  Come on dude!  Who's selfish?  Is it you because you want RP to go on tour with "Led Zeppelin"?  That band cost Robert dearly! He lost his voice, his best mate AND HIS ONLY SON!!!!

We got one last very good show, be grateful!  Watch the video again! Listen to some new music!

But quit whining...

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

This topic: :zzz:

LOL. .  Agreed

11 hours ago, nirvana said:

The Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary has come and gone now

What?  See the Led Zeppelin 50th banner every time you come on the forum?  It's been up for a week. . Slow down Nirvana. . None of us are privy to what might be in store so lets see what happens but concerts are definitely not gonna happen (Id love to be wrong about this). .   

We did not see Led Zeppelin at the 02, It's not enough to "play" Zepplin songs and have Jason on the drums. The music was different, The de-tunings, Jimmy's finger, Roberts Voice. Really, the only member that was 100% was Jones. It's not right to blame Robert for not wanting to continue in a Walking Zeppelin show. They should have done something Different and went back to the knobs for a name.

It was a cool tribute and we should see and leave it at that.

16 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

We did not see Led Zeppelin at the 02, It's not enough to "play" Zepplin songs and have Jason on the drums. The music was different, The de-tunings, Jimmy's finger, Roberts Voice. Really, the only member that was 100% was Jones. It's not right to blame Robert for not wanting to continue in a Walking Zeppelin show. They should have done something Different and went back to the knobs for a name.

Even Robert would beg to differ...it WAS a Led Zeppelin reunion.

Robert Plant 

13 hours ago, chef free said:

Nirvana, I couldn't even read your whole post!  "Robert's "selfish" because he won't go on tour with Zeppelin so I can see them, boo hoo..."  Come on dude!  Who's selfish?  Is it you because you want RP to go on tour with "Led Zeppelin"?  That band cost Robert dearly! He lost his voice, his best mate AND HIS ONLY SON!!!!

We got one last very good show, be grateful!  Watch the video again! Listen to some new music!

But quit whining...

Robert did have his loses for sure. But they had nothing to do with him being in Led Zeppelin. Karac had a virus, John drank too much, and Robert never took good

care of his vocal chords in those days.

Robert is "Robert" ONLY because of being in Led Zeppelin. Otherwise he would have led an ordinary life in the country side. A total unknown, like yourself.

The most telling moment of the O2 show was after it ended.  Three of them went backstage to bask in the glory, celebrating with families, friends, guests, etc.  Plant left immediately. He had his driver take him to a very modest kebab restaurant where I'm sure he thought about what he had just done.  

He'd done it.  Sang Stairway, even.  Surely this would finally shut the masses up now.

3 hours ago, nirvana said:

Robert Plant 

Robert did have his loses for sure. But they had nothing to do with him being in Led Zeppelin. Karac had a virus, John drank too much, and Robert never took good

Robert is "Robert" ONLY because of being in Led Zeppelin. Otherwise he would have led an ordinary life in the country side. A total unknown, like yourself.

This was debated here some time ago I think. We will never know how Robert's career would have evolved if Jimmy didn't ask him to join LZ. However, one think is quite obvious: He wouldn't have the same privileged life hadn't he been in Zep.

5 hours ago, nirvana said:

Robert Plant 

No matter what you think, Robert Plant owes you nothing.  I imagine that you have already gotten years of pleasure listening to him sing. All things must pass.  It's a good thing to learn how to accept this painful truth gracefully...

3 hours ago, chef free said:

No matter what you think, Robert Plant owes you nothing.  I imagine that you have already gotten years of pleasure listening to him sing. All things must pass.  It's a good thing to learn how to accept this painful truth gracefully...

+1

15 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

We did not see Led Zeppelin at the 02, It's not enough to "play" Zeppelin songs and have Jason on the drums. The music was different, The de-tunings, Jimmy's finger, Roberts Voice. Really, the only member that was 100% was Jones. It's not right to blame Robert for not wanting to continue in a Walking Zeppelin show. They should have done something Different and went back to the knobs for a name.

The O2 was very much a Led Zeppelin Reunion. Robert sang the Led Zeppelin songs in the vocal style that he sung them when Led Zeppelin was touring and recording from 1968-1980. Which was a break from every other tour that Robert Plant has been a part of post 1980.

And that includes the Page & Plant Tours... those were very much *not* Led Zeppelin tours. Robert was singing the Led Zeppelin songs with a different vocal style, as he does today... many different vocal styles that Robert uses today, but one he *does not*, and that's the 1968-1980 style, and he does that very intentionally.

Finally having a professional multi-track recording of the very powerful "Kashmir" performed well live is worth the price of admission. "Kashmir" was the apex of Led Zeppelin live in 1977 and not ALS as many like to claim. Fate prevented the 1977 shows from being multi-tracked, and I gladly and happily accept the O2 to rectify some of that.

Robert Plant is done with the Robert Plant vocal style of 1968-1980. For me, that's the only Led Zeppelin that I care about. I completely pass on all Robert Plant performances of Led Zeppelin songs post 1980, with the O2 being the only exception.

I don't begrudge Robert for putting away the 1968-1980 vocal styles. He's chosen to do that. He did not sign a lifetime contract with Led Zeppelin! I have chosen to not hear him sing LZ songs in any style but the 1968-1980. So no RP shows for me. :)

15 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Even Robert would beg to differ...it WAS a Led Zeppelin reunion.

Yes, and the O2 album is an official "Led Zeppelin" release.

6 hours ago, The Rover said:

The O2 was very much a Led Zeppelin Reunion. Robert sang the Led Zeppelin songs in the vocal style that he sung them when Led Zeppelin was touring and recording from 1968-1980. Which was a break from every other tour that Robert Plant has been a part of post 1980.

And that includes the Page & Plant Tours... those were very much *not* Led Zeppelin tours. Robert was singing the Led Zeppelin songs with a different vocal style, as he does today... many different vocal styles that Robert uses today, but one he *does not*, and that's the 1968-1980 style, and he does that very intentionally.

Finally having a professional multi-track recording of the very powerful "Kashmir" performed well live is worth the price of admission. "Kashmir" was the apex of Led Zeppelin live in 1977 and not ALS as many like to claim. Fate prevented the 1977 shows from being multi-tracked, and I gladly and happily accept the O2 to rectify some of that.

Robert Plant is done with the Robert Plant vocal style of 1968-1980. For me, that's the only Led Zeppelin that I care about. I completely pass on all Robert Plant performances of Led Zeppelin songs post 1980, with the O2 being the only exception.

I don't begrudge Robert for putting away the 1968-1980 vocal styles. He's chosen to do that. He did not sign a lifetime contract with Led Zeppelin! I have chosen to not hear him sing LZ songs in any style but the 1968-1980. So no RP shows for me. :)

Yes, and the O2 album is an official "Led Zeppelin" release.

I have been listening to Led Zeppelin for 45 years and I have 35 years listening to all the live stuff I could get my hands on. So, whether you like my opinion or not it is at the very least informed.   I will take Zeppelin from any year or a Page and Plant show before I go to the 02 for listening pleasure.