What ever happened to the rumored new live albums Page had talked about?

Wolfman

Hoping since Led Zeppelin have Finally won the Stairway lawsuit that JP would be working on the live releases in studio, but with covid-19 quarantine going on, it’s anyone’s guess. 

R😎

Jimmy's stated desire was to release something we hadn't heard before, and I personally believe some sort of How The East Was Won release was seriously considered. However, the Osaka soundboard was leaked and I can see where that alone may have dulled his enthusiasm for doing anything further with those multi-track recordings. Aside from all of that, Jimmy under self management seldom yields anything of consequence. 

The Jimmy Page in his heyday would have had those released within a week after feverishly working on them 18 hours a day until they were perfected.

Page today...don't hold your breath.  The only item I hope he keeps his word on his biography which he said would be released posthumously.  

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy's stated desire was to release something we hadn't heard before, and I personally believe some sort of How The East Was Won release was seriously considered. However, the Osaka soundboard was leaked and I can see where that alone may have dulled his enthusiasm for doing anything further with those multi-track recordings. Aside from all of that, Jimmy under self management seldom yields anything of consequence. 

Mr. SAJ and Wolfman, I apologize if this should not be asked on this thread. With respect to Jimmy’s live albums that he has talked about over the years. Do you guys know if he recorded pretty much all of their live shows? I guess what I am asking is, he talked about the chronological album through the years. Is it a good guess that he has a ton of, if not all of their shows in storage or somewhere and it is a matter of cleaning them up for release? Again sorry if this is not on topic. 

9 hours ago, Santa Cruz said:

Mr. SAJ and Wolfman, I apologize if this should not be asked on this thread. With respect to Jimmy’s live albums that he has talked about over the years. Do you guys know if he recorded pretty much all of their live shows? I guess what I am asking is, he talked about the chronological album through the years. Is it a good guess that he has a ton of, if not all of their shows in storage or somewhere and it is a matter of cleaning them up for release? Again sorry if this is not on topic. 

Most shows were recorded but most are not multi-tracks. This means Page would never release them.

9 hours ago, Santa Cruz said:

He definitely did NOT record ALL of their shows and he definitely does NOT have a recording of every show. He does own a fair amount of multi-track recordings that could conceivably be used for either a live chronological album or a live concert release. 

59 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

He definitely did NOT record ALL of their shows and he definitely does NOT have a recording of every show. He does own a fair amount of multi-track recordings that could conceivably be used for either a live chronological album or a live concert release. 

Add to this that recent improvements in audio processing technology have also increased the possibility that multitrack recordings once dismissed as unusable for various reasons could now be rendered viable.
Other innovations have opened the possibility that stereo recordings (soundboards for example) can now be remixed (to a certain degree).
However...
If there's not enough enthusiasm within the remaining band members, they're not going to see the light of day.
If the sales figures versus effort involved don't add up, they're not going to see the light of day.
Jimmy Page has a tremendous amount of inertia, and at the moment he's standing still.

Edited by woz70

17 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Do you think the 929 board was leaked from an official source? Maybe some attempt at a reference mix of the board tapes they had on hand for the potential release?

1 hour ago, 1998giventofly said:

Do you think the 929 board was leaked from an official source? Maybe some attempt at a reference mix of the board tapes they had on hand for the potential release?

Personally, I do. You may recall the 02 rehearsals and show were also leaked while being prepared for an official release.

33 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Personally, I do. You may recall the 02 rehearsals and show were also leaked while being prepared for an official release.

Can you shed some light on why this would even matter? So what if someone leaked it as a boot? An official release would be of far better quality, just like the O2 release was and would still sell very well. 

55 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Can you shed some light on why this would even matter? So what if someone leaked it as a boot? An official release would be of far better quality, just like the O2 release was and would still sell very well. 

It's a breach of trust and it's enough to make a now 76 year old guitarist throw his hands up and say the hell with it.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

It's a breach of trust and it's enough to make a now 76 year old guitarist throw his hands up and say the hell with it.

Yes a breech of trust but what better way to get them back than an official release sounding 1000x better than the crap some bootlegger puts out. Plus, it would immediately destroy the market for that boot. Of course hard core fans would still want the warts and all boot but even they would also buy the official release.

Business is business

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

When you put it like that; Page being 76 - that's just a couple of years younger than my dad. And he doesn't want to do anything except chill in the high desert of Arizona. If Page put any sort of investment into a How The East Was Won project and got burned - I could see him easily walking away. Why through good money (and a lot of it) after bad. Throw in this C19 bullshit with no one working. I'd say Page and the lot are retired - possibly forever. That makes me sad. 

Jimmy has for the last 20 years been all about Zeps legacy. 

I have to believe Jimmy would want Live Zep at their absolute peak as part of that legacy.  I still am hopeful for Japan 71 set, his playing is simply stunning, the whole band was just on fire.  

19 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Gotcha, I really wondered about it since the quality so great; I'm curious about your opinion on the 928 board tape too. The quality is still great but not superb like the 929 tape, and I doubt the botch job noise reduction was something that any decent sound engineer would do to the tape. Do you think that was leaked too and EV just messed around with it more than 929?

22 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Yes a breech of trust but what better way to get them back than an official release sounding 1000x better than the crap some bootlegger puts out. 

A 1000x better than this? I don't think so. 😉

Edited by SteveAJones

6 hours ago, 1998giventofly said:

Gotcha, I really wondered about it since the quality so great; I'm curious about your opinion on the 928 board tape too. The quality is still great but not superb like the 929 tape, and I doubt the botch job noise reduction was something that any decent sound engineer would do to the tape. Do you think that was leaked too and EV just messed around with it more than 929?

Yes, I personally believe it too was leaked. 9/28 does have slightly less sound quality for whatever reason. Inevitably, there will be a knock off release on another label or a fan mix that attempts to improve it.  

23 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

A 1000x better than this? I don't think so. 😉

I understand what you are saying but an official release would sound even better, and have the advantage of true professional distribution. The only people looking for boots are hard core fans. 95% of LZ fans are not looking for boots, they want an official release.

I did not get my first LZ boot until the mid-80's and that was the Ally Pally December 72' (last show). I had not acquired bootleg ears so after one listen I threw it away as I thought the sound was absolute shit. Did not get another boot for almost 25 years I was so disappointed in the quality of that Alexandria Palace show.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

8 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Yes, I personally believe it too was leaked. 9/28 does have slightly less sound quality for whatever reason. Inevitably, there will be a knock off release on another label or a fan mix that attempts to improve it.  

I still believe that all of the "soundboard revolution" boards have been leaked from those connected to the official camp. Too much high quality stuff "coincidentally" leaked after Kevin Shirley started working on the Zep archival stuff in 2002. Flying Circus 75, Southampton 73, Orlando 71, upgraded videos from Earls Court. He was putting everything on harddrives via protools. 

Like I mentioned in the Hampton 71 thread, there is a big difference in the quality of items that were shared in the 80s-90s vs post-2003.

18 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I understand what you are saying but an official release would sound even better, and have the advantage of true professional distribution. The only people looking for boots are hard core fans. 95% of LZ fans are not looking for boots, they want an official release.

I did not get my first LZ boot until the mid-80's and that was the Ally Pally December 72' (last show). I had not acquired bootleg ears so after one listen I threw it away as I thought the sound was absolute shit. Did not get another boot for almost 25 years I was so disappointed in the quality of that Alexandria Palace show.

What a shame!  The 2 (22nd-23rd) shows were awesome!

25 minutes ago, pluribus said:

I still believe that all of the "soundboard revolution" boards have been leaked from those connected to the official camp. Like I mentioned in the Hampton 71 thread, there is a big difference in the quality of items that were shared in the 80s-90s vs post-2003.

Yep. No one sits on board tapes for 40+ years and then starts periodically releasing them. They gain access to them circa 2003 and then start periodically releasing them.