From the vault - My front row pix from the 1975 tour

18strings

Hi everyone,

I was up in my attic and discovered a gold mine... I found the slides I had taken in the final nights of the North American tour in March of 1975.

I was 21 and determined to get great seats to see Led Zeppelin. As crazy as it sounds (and it was), we camped out for 3 nights at the Forum in Los Angeles to be first in line when tickets went on sale for the final 3 shows of their tour. My friends and I had it all planned out. We wanted to be sure to end up with tickets to all three shows, so we each were to buy tickets for a specific date. When the ticket windows opened, I asked for the best possible seats for my date. I was stunned when she handed me Section B, Row 1. Front row, almost dead center. She had no idea why I was yelling and jumping up and down and why there were hundreds of people lined up to get tickets to these shows. Our seats for all three nights were in the first two rows. The top ticket price was $8.75. That was 45 years ago. I snuck my camera in. I was sure they'd confiscate it. Fortunately, they didn't.

This was way before cell phones and digital cameras. I had a Honeywell Pentax with a zoom lens and three rolls of Ektachrome for the first two nights. Real SLR camera. Real slide film. I left my camera home on the final night so that I could totally take in the spectacle. 

I hope you can see these well enough here. I've had to reduce the size of the images to meet the upload limit. I'll divide them over two posts. Here's the first batch. The rest will follow right after this. 

vs01PICT0054 (2).jpg

vs02PICT0052.jpg

vs03PICT0040 (2).jpg

vs04PICT0096.jpg

vs05PICT0042 (3).jpg

vs06PICT0043.jpg

vs08PICT0102 (2).jpg

vs09PICT0120.jpg

vs10PICT0094.jpg

vs11PICT0093.jpg

vs12PICT0053 (2).jpg

vs13PICT0107.jpg

vs14PICT0024 (4).jpg

15 hours ago, VioletVernet said:

What treasures! Thanks for sharing. And no, I do not think it was crazy to camp out for three days to get tickets to see Zeppelin! I'd do it in a heartbeat but alas I was born too late. 

I hear ya...why couldn't I be a '55 instead of a '95 😒

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I hear ya...why couldn't I be a '55 instead of a '95 😒

Take from this 66 year old guy... You play the hand you're dealt. You'll get opportunities that I'll never get. If there's a lesson to be learned here, it's to recognize special opportunities and pounce on them, because they don't come along too often.

20 minutes ago, gcczep said:

$8.75 for a ticket...boggles the mind. The pics are priceless.

Yeah, concert ticket inflation, especially for great seats has been ridiculous. I think a gallon of gas was something like 60 cents a gallon here in California. Now, it's about $3.50, almost 6X more than it was then. If those spectacular seats were only 6X more now, it would be about $53. Good luck getting nosebleeds for that now. Supply and demand, I guess. 

1 hour ago, 18strings said:

Yeah, concert ticket inflation, especially for great seats has been ridiculous. I think a gallon of gas was something like 60 cents a gallon here in California. Now, it's about $3.50, almost 6X more than it was then. If those spectacular seats were only 6X more now, it would be about $53. Good luck getting nosebleeds for that now. Supply and demand, I guess. 

With inflation, $8.75 in 1975 is $41.93 today. Assume $1.25 in taxes and box offices fees and that $10.00 is equal to $47.92 today. So US$50 or so to see a band of Zep's stature doesn't sound bad. However, getting those seats meant sleeping out for a few days and being lucky enough to be at the front of the line. Assuming you couldn't do that but still wanted to see the band, you were probably looking at paying at least double that price from a scalper, so $20, which is almost $100 today. Still a bargain when the Stones and other big bands now charge five times that. The thing is, the reason they can do that is because their main audience today is old people who have the money to pay that much for a seat. Back in Zep's day, the tickets were mostly going to young people, and they typically don't have as much money as older people. So if Zep tried to charge $100 back then (around $500 today), they'd have been playing to mostly empty arenas because their primary audience couldn't afford to see them.

Inflation calculator: https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1975?amount=8.75