Movie Critics. Do you pay attention to them?

spats

I have noticed that quite often movies that get just horrible reviews will still draw big bucks. And then movies that get nothing but glowing reviews will do nothing at the box office.

Do you pay attention to the movie critics or do you just ignore them. I find that i am influenced by them.

Do you pay attention to the movie critics or do you just ignore them. I find that i am influenced by them.

I somehow doubt that.....

I never listen to critics, they aren't listening with my ears, not seeing through my eyes, nor registering thoughts within my brain.

Pretty useless.

I don't listen to large amounts of moviegoers either.....otherwise Borat would actually be funny.

I somehow doubt that.....

I never listen to critics, they aren't listening with my ears, not seeing through my eyes, nor registering thoughts within my brain.

Pretty useless.

I don't listen to large amounts of moviegoers either.....otherwise Borat would actually be funny.

:lol:

No.I've gotten much better reviews here than from any "Critic"

I trust my local critics on the artier stuff (like today I read a review of Cassandra's Dream that makes me want to go see it), but not on the lighter stuff like, say, Pirates of the Caribbean or The Matrix (I'm still pissed that I didn't see The Matrix in theaters all because I listened to a bad review of it). These guys are waaaay too snooty to understand the appeal of fun movies, but they do know a good "high-brow" film when they see one.

Big-time critics like Ebert, eh. Ebert's so off the wall compared to my taste in movies. Sometimes I agree with him on every word he says about a movie, but other times I think, where did he get that from - he's totally missing the point! Baffling...with most of them you can get a feel for their personality and what they like/dislike, so you can make a good guess about how they're going to rate something, but Ebert's just all over the place if you ask me.

I totally love the Internet for this. Like here, you can ask people on a message board who you know are at least somewhat like-minded, or you can look at Rotten Tomatoes and get a general consensus... Much better than listening to one guy who's on a totally different plane of existence than you spout out his personal opinion.

Edited by Footsteps of Dawn

No. Sometimes movie critics really get it wrong....I've went to a movie that had gotten bad reviews, and really enjoyed the movie. Then, there have been times where I've read really great things about a movie, went to see the movie, and the movie was dreadful.

There are certain critics whose opinions I respect, I think Roger Ebert has forgotten more about movies than I'll ever know. And I think Rottentomatoes.com is a good gauge, because it compiles ALL reviews, so it's not skewed by any one critic. I figure if 95 out of 100 critics say a movie is great, there's probably something to it.

I have noticed that quite often movies that get just horrible reviews will still draw big bucks. And then movies that get nothing but glowing reviews will do nothing at the box office.

It depends on whether or not the critic is "hot".

• 1 year later...
We're all movie critics! Take a minute to think about that... :P

Good point. And we all see movies differently, from different tastes and perspectives. Which is why critics are generally meaningless. What makes their opinions any more valid than ours?

Damn, Spats! Good topic there, bud. B)

I don't listen to the Critics either. If I read the book, I don't go see the movie and if I see the movie, I don't read the book.

I generally prefer to read a book versus seeing a movie and I do like to try to read it before it is out on screen. But I don't have a hard fast rule on it.

I generally prefer to read a book versus seeing a movie and I do like to try to read it before it is out on screen. But I don't have a hard fast rule on it.

Most of the time, the movie destroys the book. Although there are exceptions, as jimmie ray pointed out. Another example would be The Godfather.

When I read a book, I like to visualize what all the characters look like, what they sound like.....how they carry themselves. Too often the movie ruins that for me and then I can't read the book anymore because my vision of what I thought it was doesn't exist anymore.

I'm weird like that I guess.

Edited by Electrophile