No Quarter

Man! you guys are some hard core zepplinites. I've always been a fan but never knew about all these recordings. Guess I've been out of the loop awhile.

Kinda Ironic that my favorite zep song is WLL. "I'm gonna send ya back to school ay.

:D

My list

1. For Badgeholders only 6/23/1977

2. Snow Jobs Vancouver 3/19/1975

3. Earls Court 75 5/24/1975

4. Conspiacy Theory San Diego 3/14/1975

These are the rest i have and i have to give each one a couple more listens, but the top won't change.

Listen to This Eddie 6/21/1977

Dallas 1975 3/4/1975

Days Confused Dallas 3/5/1975

The Destroyer Cleveland 1977

Lousiville 1977

Flying Circus MSG 1975

Im still looking for seattle 73,75

My list

1. For Badgeholders only 6/23/1977

2. Snow Jobs Vancouver 3/19/1975

3. Earls Court 75 5/24/1975

4. Conspiacy Theory San Diego 3/14/1975

These are the rest i have and i have to give each one a couple more listens, but the top won't change.

Listen to This Eddie 6/21/1977

Dallas 1975 3/4/1975

Days Confused Dallas 3/5/1975

The Destroyer Cleveland 1977

Lousiville 1977

Flying Circus MSG 1975

Im still looking for seattle 73,75

Seattle '75 is awesome man as is the whole show. Probably the best show of the '75 US tour. It's well worth seeking out.

What a run of shows they had in 75 maybe better then the forum 77.from dallas to earl court. what seattle show should i look for the 17th or 21st. and what tape. They only one i can find is a DVD audio and i want just striaght flac. im am looking for the BLowjobs one.

• 3 months later...
Page and Plant 98 tour Vancouver. Without a doubt the best version I've heard. Just long enough, and Page's playing made the hair on my neck stand up. Brilliant stuff :)

THANK YOU.

My Clarksdale stuff I managed to rip from Napster in 2000 or so blew my mind, No Quarter live being the flagship of the blowing of the mind...

Don't have a favorite No Quarter but almost any version from '75 suits me just fine.

NQ is performed normally under the 20 minute mark and it's length is just perfect. Not too long (as in '77) and not too short (as in '73).

1975 is just right.

Too bad Page can't find one multitrack from '75 to release commercially (in it's entirety). Heck, Earl's Court is the definitive '75 performance (next to LA and Seattle).

3.19.75 is great too. The best 25 minute jam I've ever heard!! :lol: Seriously, I don't think anything trumps the studio version. They always played the song 1 semitone higher live than they did on the studio version. This makes it a heluva lot less ominous in my opinion.

You know, with the slowed tape speed of the studio version, it's really hard to compare the two. I know that the first time I ever heard No Quarter - during a midnight broadcast of the album Houses of the Holy, sometime around 12:35 or so - it scared the bejesus out of me for how freaking scary and dark it is.

You know, with the slowed tape speed of the studio version, it's really hard to compare the two. I know that the first time I ever heard No Quarter - during a midnight broadcast of the album Houses of the Holy, sometime around 12:35 or so - it scared the bejesus out of me for how freaking scary and dark it is.

The song was actually originally performed a semitone higher (like they do it live), but Page slowed the tape with Vari-Speed, and got an even more ominous version.

PS - Try listening to it in the dark when you're nine years old (which is when I first heard the song)! THEN you can tell me about it scaring you!

• 3 weeks later...

2-12-1975 MSG - Flying Circus

I'll explain why:

Even if I find better quality versions, this version will always have much sentimental value to me because it was the first live Zeppelin song that really got me hooked on them. Ive only listened to 5-7 other versions, Im in the middle of collecting more. But something about this 75 show, Pages guitar is just so loud/high pitched and he does this same chord/melody in almost every solo (Ive heard it on some other shows too) that I just love. (Hear it at around 9:45). JPJ's solo was just the right length / mood to go right into Pages solo and they continue throughout. This is currently my fav live Zeppelin song ever.

I will post if I change my mind once ive heard many other bootlegs im acquiring.

The 05-25-75 Earls Court version.

I have never heard anything so exquisite as Jonesy's and Jimmy's solos played simultaneously. Just magical. Surely, Jimmy can make his guitar cry in that solo.

Only one word: poetry translated in music.

I mentioned this on the FBO list some years ago but I love the solos during "No Quarter". It makes you dream you're adrift out to sea on a sailboat. The solos are very liquid and expressive.

Meg

The 05-25-75 Earls Court version.

I have never heard anything so exquisite as Jonesy's and Jimmy's solos played simultaneously. Just magical. Surely, Jimmy can make his guitar cry in that solo.

Only one word: poetry translated in music.

I mentioned this on the FBO list some years ago but I love the solos during "No Quarter". It makes you dream you're adrift out to sea on a sailboat. The solos are very liquid and expressive.

Meg

Yes, very evocative feeling. I have never thought about the feeling of sailing adrift to sea. Interesting.

The solos still makes me think of horse riding in the Scottish moors with ancient castles and ruins as background in a night with a full moon!

Very much in line with the TSRTS fantasy scene... :D

Yes, very evocative feeling. I have never thought about the feeling of sailing adrift to sea. Interesting.

The solos still makes me think of horse riding in the Scottish moors with ancient castles and ruins as background in a night with a full moon!

Very much in line with the TSRTS fantasy scene... :D

When I hear it, I´m always like hypnotised. Sometimes I nearly fall asleep, because it has such a calming effect... it is just so beautiful. I only close my eyes and dream. And Jimmy´s improvisation- it comes from the deepest corner of his heart and his soul... :wub:

Page and Plant, Shepherds Bush, 1998. Hear it on the Shining In The Light CD single. Definitive version for me, perhaps helped by the fact that I was at the show, I dunno

As far as post-Zep, this version might be the best. I remember when I got the cd single of Shining in The Light, and when I listened to this version, I was floored. It is just about pretty much perfect in it's construction and the way it builds, amazing for '98 !!! Boy, what Page is capable of doing when he plays on a regular basis!!!! Blew away the 'O2 version by far for me, as did most of the live stuff in '98.

I will post if I change my mind once ive heard many other bootlegs im acquiring.

Literally two hours after I posted this I listened to Dallas show from 3-5-75 (Days Confused) and was blown away. The NQ was like Flying Circus on weed (much clearer). Can't wait to hear the Earls Court everyone is talking about.

• 1 year later...
That's another great version, though I fely Jimmy was a bit flat. The NQ from San Diego 3-14-75 (Conspiracy Theory) is my favorite of all the 1975 versions. Fantastic jam!!

Just finished listening to that, all 31mins of it !!, and have to agree, best '75 version for me too...

Archived