whats the best live shows you've been to?

boogie

Hands down the best show I've ever been to was seeing The White Stripes at the Cannery Ballroom in Nashville back in May.

I live less than 2 miles from The Cannery ! :)

Haven't been to a show there since about '89 though...Neville Brothers, The O'kanes and Steve Earle...

A couple more favorite goodies I saw...

Ten Years After Nov. 1971

Santana Jan. 1972

PFM Feb. 1974

Los Lobos Oct. 1995

John Abercrombie 1991

Govt Mule/Allman Bros. 2000

hears a few i'll never forget. frank zappa, philadelphia spectrum 1976

rush same place same year

blue oyster cult, phil, 1976

robert plant dade county arena 1985

jimmy page outrider tour miami 1990

stone temple pilots, wash. d.c. 1998?

the who/plant a few years ago

van halen a few months ago

i've been to hundreds of shows. but these stand out. zappa was the most fun.

I'd have to say, the band, Chicago. 1979. My sister and I were at the L.A. street scene. There was a lot going on that day, and everything was free, so we went and stayed for the concert. It was great. Although, before that, led Zeppelin came to the area a few times. I remember, because the radio station was GIVING away tickets. It seems ironic to me, because, these days, we need to enter a lottery just to be picked to go see them. My brother wanted to ga in the 70's, but he didn't know the radio station was giving away tickets. So sad!

I've been attending concerts since 1980 (missed Zeppelin first time around). Here are some highlights, not in any order:

Pink Floyd - Wembley 1988, Knebworth 1990 (Plant & Page on the bill), Earls Court 1994, Live 8 (at the front!). Also David Gilmour, Glasgow 2006 - equally good.

Queen - 3 times with Freddie, including the last ever show at Knebworth.

The Who - 6 times in all, always great.

Rush - twice. The 1981 show at Stafford Bingley Hall was amazing. Full-length Xanadu etc.

Foo Fighters - 4 times. Always good. Completely blew Oasis offstage at the Millennium Stadium.

Radiohead - 4 times, soon to be 5. The best contemporary band around IMHO, apart from....

Super Furry Animals - er, 17 times. Rock, pop, psych, folk. They do the lot, very well, and always sound only like themselves. The most under-rated band IMHO.

Genesis - I was at Milton Keynes for the reunion concert with Peter Gabriel in 1982. The Musical Box, Supper's Ready, Firth of Fifth etc. Ah, bliss.

Ozzy - twice with Randy Rhoads 1981.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Phoenix Festival 1996.

Various artists at many Glastonbury Festivals, 1983-1999. I've got one left in me....

There are hundreds of other acts I've seen, including some legends - Thin Lizzy (with PL), The Jam, The Smiths, The Velvet Underground (1993 reunion - better than expected), Frank Sinatra etc, and some that aren't really my cup of tea but have gone along anyway, like U2 (- twice in 87, twice in 05).

The last concert I attended was undoubtedly the most anticipated, most expensive, most memorable, the one everyone wants to know about and certainly one of the best:

Led Zeppelin - O2. :)

Hey thanks for the PM's. You have an impressive list there. The Chicago/3 Dog Night in June '71 must have been fun. You must be around my age, I'm 82.

Actually I took a time machine back....I'm a mere 19.

That show was great ! First time I ever even smoked pot...but didn't get high....not till the Black Sabbath Oct. '71 show I attended. :hippy:

Just to add...one of the truly best moments of any show I've been to was when

Emmylou Harris....sang

'Here, there and Everywhere' when I saw her in about '88. Made me cry.

Wolfmother - Toronto, Kool Haus, March 2007 - Played all their songs plus a few extra gems (including a Zeppelin cover), and a lot of quality jams! Thought the sound was magnificent, and the crowd was just the epitome of what a rock and roll show should be like!

Roger Waters - Toronto, Rogers Center, July 2007 - Amazing tour this was, and he finished it off that night in Toronto. Memorable performance, mesmerizing visuals...etc. Could go on forever.

There's plenty more but here's four just off the top of my head:

R.E.M. w/Let's Active

Pagentry Tour

November 15, 1986

Cameron Indoor Stadium

Duke University, Durham, NC

Grateful Dead

March 31, 1989

Greensboro Coliseum

Greensboro, NC

Page & Plant w/Rusted Root

Unledded Tour

February 28, 1995

Omni

Atlanta, GA

Drive-By Truckers

Acoustic House Concert

October 6, 2001

Pine Hill Farm

Durham, NC

One of my favourite shows was with a bunch of "has-beens", the British 60's r'n'b band The Downliners Sect. They never got as big as The Stones, Yardbirds or Kinks, but sure made a mark in the r'n'b scene in the mid-sixties.

I saw them on a bar stage in the late 90's/early 00's. The singer/bassist looked like he was gonna fall off the stage any second and most of them looked to be in worse shape then Keith Richards. But fuck, was I in for a surprise! They would have played today's Stones of off the stage. They sounded just as energic and raw as they did in '66. I love 'em, and I actually think they still touring round the world.

So if you ever catch a flyer that The Downliners Sect will play anywhere near you, be sure to check 'em out!

Edited by Swede

One of my favourite shows was with a bunch of "has-beens", the British 60's r'n'b band The Downliners Sect. They never got as big as The Stones, Yardbirds or Kinks, but sure made a mark in the r'n'b scene in the mid-sixties.

I saw them on a bar stage in the late 90's/early 00's. The singer/bassist looked like he was gonna fall off the stage any second and most of them looked to be in worse shape then Keith Richards. But fuck, was I in for a surprise! They would have played today's Stones of off the stage. They sounded just as energic and raw as they did in '66. I love 'em, and I actually think they still touring round the world.

So if you ever catch a flyer that The Downliners Sect will play anywhere near you, be sure to check 'em out!

Nice story. Thanks.

Rolling Stones, Winterland, 6-8-72

Rolling Stones, Cow Palace, 7-16-75

Led Zeppelin- Kezar, 6-2-73

Led Zeppelin, Oakland 7-24-77

Page/Plant, San Jose, 5-20-75

Page/Plant, Mountain View, 9-12-98

Stone Temple Pilots, Miami Zetafest, 9-2000 (don't remember the date)

Rolling Stones, Ft. Lauderdale, 10-22-02

Alice In Chains/Velvet Revolver, The Gorge, 9-8-2007

Black Crowes, Bend, Oregon, 9-28-07

I was at that show! One of four Page/Plant shows I saw which are certainly in my top 10.

So in 72 you got to see them with Taylor? Was Kezar where the 49ers used to play before Candlestick PK???

That's correct! :)

The 49ers moved to Candlestick back in 1971.

And yeah, I was only 14 when I saw the Taylorized Stones. Made up a bullshit story to my parents that I was going to stay at a friend's place. Well, actually I DID do that, but I also saw the Stones without them knowing.

What a show. :D

One of the better lies you ever told huh? Welcome to the fucking party!

I had a choice.

A) Lie like a rug, and see the Stones, or...

B ) Ask if I could go see the Stones, and get locked in the house until they left town.

:lol:

Edited by Rock Action

Really narrowing it down it has to be:

Cream @ Royal Albert Hall, 2nd May 2005.

Led Zeppelin @ O2 Arena, 10th December 2007.

...other than that there are loads! And I can't be bothered. I wrote 'em all in another similar thread not long ago anyway. :D

Led Zeppelin..London 2007....the best moment ever in my music concert going career !!

Robert Plant ..1983 ,85,87,90,2000 and 2002 were all great gigs but 83 in Bristol being the first and 2000 Manchester with the Priory of Bryon were my faves !!

Page /Plant.1995 and 1998...98 Reading Festival..blinding

Jimmy Page...London 1988

Deep Purple..1985,87,91,93,2002 and 2004...Knebworth 1985 was the best !!

Queen...1986 Knebworth

U2...1987 and 1993...87 in Cardiff was like going to Gospel singers...inspiring and joyful !!

Pink Floyd...London 1987

Hawkwind-Academy/Bournemouth/9.12.86

Little FeatMyrtle Park / Seattle / Washington State,4th.July.2001

Yes-Empire theatre/Liverpool/Merseyside/19.4.98

Yes...London 2003

Rush...Birmingham 2004

Wolfsbane-Astoria/London/10.12.91

are a few that spring to mind !!

Edited by leddy

THE "BEST" :

Besides the Zeppelin shows...which I will get to later.....

ALICE COOPER touring with the Alice Cooper Band in 1972, performing the "KILLER" album in Dallas at the Memorial Auditorium. (The opening bands were Ft.Worth's Band, and Canned Heat. AS I said, besides Led Zeppelin, this was the very best Rock Concert I ever attended. Nothing that Alice has ever done since, no, not even BBB or WTMN are better.

LED ZEPPELIN

AUGUST 22, 1970 -- FT. WORTH

MARCH 4, 1975 -- DALLAS

APRIL 22, 1977 -- FT. WORTH

Why did I list that dumb ass Ted on here? Well he was great in concert. Very athletic. Jumped up on top of a stack that must have been well over 5 feet high while playing lead like he was a kangaroo. Bowie promised never to return to Rochester and indeed kept his word after a Mickey Mouse pot bust-front page news here. Why did they have to mess with him?

Well it is against the law. Is Bowie being a rock star immune from our laws?

I would also like to add some classical ones and two that spring to mind out of hundreds, I have been to more of them than rock gigs, but that because I have never had to pay !!! !!!

BSO...Bournemouth ...1977 My old Dad playing Mozart the Magic Flute and sitting in the audience awe inspired and shitting it when it came to the bits where the orchestra stops and he plays on, standing there at the front !!

My 2nd one is My ex wife at the Albert hall with BBC Philharmonic in 1998 !!

I have been to so few concerts it's really lame. My dad actually had pretty decent tickets to the Rolling Stones when they came here a little over a year ago, but he "couldn't find anyone to go with" so he gave his other ticket away. HE DIDN'T EVEN ASK ME IF I WANTED TO GO. I told him when I was visiting home that I really wished I could go, it was in the city I go to school in, and he asked all of my brothers. I guess he was just remembering when I was like 11 and saying things like "Keith Richards really needs to start drinking more formaldehyde because his bones are starting to show." Junior high kids are little bastards.

Anyway, of the acts I have seen, John Mayer was my favorite. I was in the tenth row, center, the people in front of me left about seven songs in, and by the end of the night I couldn't talk. Of course I did have an awful cold when I went in, but I'm sure I would have had a raspy voice from all the screaming. It was AMAZING. His improv was amazing. It was so amazing in fact, I barely cared that my car broke down afterwards and I was two hours from home. I did write a really long blog about how he owes me 500 dollars over it, though.

I have seen lots of concerts but the ones that really stick out would be the follwoing: (only in A-Z order)

Aerosmith-Houston Summit 1984

Allman Brothers-The Woodlands 1997

Badlands- Backstage Club 1992 (One of their last shows before Ray Gillen died) I have a tape of the show.

Jeff Beck with Stevie Ray Vaughn Houston Coliseum 1989

Jeff Beck and Santana -The Woodlands 1995

Black Sabbath-Houston Summit 1999

David Bowie in Tin Machine Houston 1991

Deep Purple-The Woodlands 2001

The Eagles-Rice Stadium 1994

Emerson, Lake and Palmer-The Woodlands 1992

John Entwhistle-Rockefellars 1996-met him and got autographs.

The Firm The Summit 1985 and 1986

Govt.' Mule-House of Blues New Orleans 2001

Grand Funk Railroad-Verizon Theatre 1998

Glenn Hughes- San Antonio and Houston -2 nights back to back as a Tribute to Tommy Bolin 1999-met him and got autographs and pic taken.

Jethro Tull-The Woodlands 2001

John Paul Jones- Houston 2000 -met him and got autographs and a pic he used.

judas Priest-The Summit 1986 and The Woodlands 2004

King Crimson-Sam Houston Coliseum 1995

Kiss-The Summit 1996-reunion tour

Little Feat-small outdoors club-Houston- 2002

Paul McCartney-The Astrodome-1993

Gary Moore-The Astrodome- Texxas Jam 1984

Steve Morse-Rockefellars 1990

Motley Crue oeping for Ozzy Osbourne-The Summit 1984

Ted Nugent-The Woodlands 1995

Jimmy Page-The Summit-1988 I also had tickets for Coverdale Page US tour in 1993 and Jimmy with Black Crowes in 2000- but both were canceled.

Pink Floyd-The Astrodome 1987

Robert Plant- The Summit- 1985, 1988, 1990 and The Woodlands 1993

Rolling Stones-The Astrodome- 1989

Rush- Texxas Jam 1984, The Summit 1986, 1988, 1990, 1996 The Woodlands 2002 and 2004

Scorpions The Woodlands 2001

The Who-The Astrodome with Fabulous Thunderbirds and SRV 1989

Yes-The Woodlands 2002

Zebra- Backstage 1996 met Guy Gelso the drummer.