Most Under-rated Zep Track

Nobody`s Fault But Hers

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't think there are underrated Zeppelin tracks. I mean who's doing the rating and why do they count? I think there are under-recognized or under-appreciated tracks. Songs that don't get their due.

I think Down By the Seaside deserves more listens! ;)

I don't think there are underrated Zeppelin tracks. I mean who's doing the rating and why do they count? I think there are under-recognized or under-appreciated tracks. Songs that don't get their due.

I think Down By the Seaside deserves more listens! ;)

Right On! :D:D

• 3 weeks later...

Ev had it right... nothing is really underrated, just more or less overlooked or passed by other more popular tracks.

I'll go ahead and make the Achilles Last Stand argument. It's one of their best tracks ever and yet you could ask a regular classic rock fan to name their 10 favorite LZ songs and it would probably turn out something like this...

-Stairway to Heaven

-Whole Lotta Love

-Kashmir

-Black Dog

-Rock and Roll

-Dazed and Confused

-Immigrant Song

-Heartbreaker

-and two of the following The Ocean/Trampled Under Foot/Going to California/When the Levee Breaks/Moby Dick/No Quarter/Fool in the Rain.........

With a few exceptions, the first 5 and 1/2 albums are the range of music. Presence is sometimes considered the "worst" studio album (which only shows how great the other albums were if Presence was considered mediocre) Even if you like the track, it's 10+ minutes long so it will almost never be played on the radio. And if you look at the list I made, every single one of those tracks is on heavy rotation in any album/classic rock radio station.

I say overlooked, rather then underrated because of something like this. If people never get to hear ALS, they never get to hear Page's guitar army in glorious battle with John Bonham's tight and deadly drumming, with JPJ content to gallop along with the gang while Plant delivers a does of his by-then standard mythology..... they can never appreciate it.

Thus overlooked.

• 3 weeks later...
I`m talking here about songs that never made the Mothership or Remasters collection.

I'm seeing a lot of songs on this thread that DID make it on to two or more compilations of theirs.

Out of curiosity, I went through the list of the tracks from the original releases of the studio albums, and weeded out what's showed up on other compilations before. For the record, here's a list of the only songs from the studio albums that NEVER made it on to any of the official compilations (excluding Box Set II, for obvious reasons) or live albums. So nothing from The Song Remains the Same, the 1990 box set, the Remasters box set, the Early Days or Latter Days discs, The BBC Sessions, How the West Was Won, OR Mothership:

• Your Time Is Gonna Come
  • The Lemon Song
  • Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)
  • Out On The Tiles
  • Hats Off To (Roy) Harper
  • Four Sticks
  • The Rover
  • Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Down By The Seaside
  • Night Flight
  • Boogie With Stu
  • Black Country Woman
  • Sick Again
  • Royal Orleans
  • Hots On For Nowhere
  • Tea For One
  • South Bound Saurez
  • Hot Dog
  • Carouselambra
  • We're Gonna Groove
  • Darlene

Based off this list and my personal tastes, I'd have to say "Hots on for Nowhere" has to be one of their most underrated pieces.

Though also worth mentioning: "We're Gonna Groove" showed up on the Led Zeppelin double DVD. "Bron-Yr-Aur" can be heard on the Song Remains the Same documentary. Page & Plant did "Four Sticks" for the No Quarter reunion, and Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes ended up releasing "Your Time Is Gonna Come", "The Lemon Song", "Out on the Tiles", and "Sick Again". They also did "Hots on for Nowhere" at other shows. "Down By The Seaside" also showed up on the Encomium tribute.

So...if we wanted to eliminate those too, I suppose this would be the definitive list of obscure Led Zeppelin songs:

• Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)
  • Hats Off To (Roy) Harper
  • The Rover
  • Night Flight
  • Boogie With Stu
  • Black Country Woman
  • Royal Orleans
  • Tea For One
  • South Bound Saurez
  • Hot Dog
  • Carouselambra
  • Darlene

Make of that what you will.

• 3 months later...

Absolutely agree with In the Light, amazing, amazing song, one of my faves. Also I'm Gonna Crawl, The Rover, For Your Life, The Rain Song, Achilles Last Stand, Darlene and Tea For One. Most of my favorites, I feel, are underrated.

Archived