Aleister Crowley

AMAZONIC

I have but it's hard to find any good ones. Mostly they are written by his followers or his detractors.

From what I know, he was less Satan-worshiper than what would today be called 'new-age'.

From what I know, he was less Satan-worshiper than what would today be called 'new-age'.

Thanks, Cactus..I have read something like that about him. You know, people sometimes are too judgmental even before they have a proper knowledge about what they are talking about.

cheers

"Do what thou wilt" is just an old fashioned version of the 70s slogan "do your own thing". In Crowley's belief, the biggest sin one could commit is denying the will. People who get stuck in a job they hate, not standing up for their rights etc. The freedom movements in the 60s and 70s were very similar to the Crowley philosophy, and Rock and Roll played a big part in it.

Crowley's sex-magick was not too different to tantric sex...You wouldn't call Sting a satan worshiper would you?

Has anyone read a book on or of Aleister Crowley?

I have been thinking of getting one for a long time... If anyone has read his writings can pls tell me his/her opinions? thank you :)

The Soul of the Desert...small book, but it sums it ALL up - short but sweet.

Thanks, Cactus..I have read something like that about him. You know, people sometimes are too judgmental even before they have a proper knowledge about what they are talking about.

cheers

If the myth is more interesting than the truth...

Perpetuate the myth and ignore the truth.

The media are masters at this, as they say never let the lack of facts get in the way of a good story.

i've never read any other than a few quotes people stick up on the web from time to time. i was a bit turned off by what i've seen so far, some . i get the image of a weird dirty old man making fecal finger paintings under a full moon at midnight. that's the part i like.

i do know of a few books crowley related and otherwise related. the person who introduced me to them forbid me to mention their titles. i promised, sorry. none of them have been mentioned so far. no serious person into this would here.

i haven't read any of them, and am not that interested in it. like i could really put any of it too use, i live on a farm.

• 1 month later...

There are two recent and very good biographies by proper scholars, Lawrence Sutin's Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of AC and Richard Kaczynski's Perdurabo: The Life of AC. If you'd like to read some of Crowley's work as well, I'd suggest starting with Magick Without Tears. The Confessions are quite fun to read as well. There's also a very serious website devoted to Crowley, lashtal.com.

In the 70's I have heard an irresponsible rumor that Jimmy's partner Charlotte was witch. And they say that she instigated Jimmy and drew him in to the black magic.

In addition I have heard that she was manipulating Jimmy behind and that after he had separated from her, he had lost the interest for the black magic.

Though I think that it is only a complete foolish rumor, has anyone heard anything of it? :blink:

In the 70's I have heard an irresponsible rumor that Jimmy's partner Charlotte was witch. And they say that she instigated Jimmy and drew him in to the black magic.

In addition I have heard that she was manipulating Jimmy behind and that after he had separated from her, he had lost the interest for the black magic. Though I think that it is only a complete foolish rumor, has anyone heard anything of it?

This rumor may have stemmed from them not having been legally married. There were

whispers that they "bonded" in a pagan ritual instead or some other such nonsense. It's

ridiculous to credit Charlotte for Jimmy's abiding interest in the occult, which began in his teenage years. There have been many signs since their parting circa 1983 to affirm his affinity for the occult continues.

will this help ? http://planet-zeppelin.com/vb/showthread.p...leister+Crowley ,hope so,this post by; infidel,PZ.

Thanks, Ross.

Since my topic starter I haven't bought any Crowley book as yet.But you guys have been very nice to give me some tips. :)

Next time I am in a book store I will definitely get one of his books, just out of curiousity, And you know that we women are always curious about anything, anyone, .. :D

I will let you know what I think about it..

There are two recent and very good biographies by proper scholars, Lawrence Sutin's Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of AC and Richard Kaczynski's Perdurabo: The Life of AC. If you'd like to read some of Crowley's work as well, I'd suggest starting with Magick Without Tears. The Confessions are quite fun to read as well. There's also a very serious website devoted to Crowley, lashtal.com.

Thank you Allison and Al for your suggestions.

I used to own a copy of (The Sacred book of Magik of abrhra Melin the Mage) I know I misspelled a few things . The reason I no longer own it is I had a severe string of Bad luck almost as soon as I walked out of the store with it. Kept it for several years Got two Divorces and My Younger Brother died.

My Father passed away. My finances went to shit.I sold it to some other poor Bastard and everything started to improve.Finances got really good and love life improved. No I did not get My Dad or Brother back but life got better and in Crowleys Confessions it warns that the book can do things on its own and I believe it can.

I used to own a copy of (The Sacred book of Magik of abrhra Melin the Mage) I know I misspelled a few things . The reason I no longer own it is I had a severe string of Bad luck almost as soon as I walked out of the store with it. Kept it for several years Got two Divorces and My Younger Brother died.

My Father passed away. My finances went to shit.I sold it to some other poor Bastard and everything started to improve.Finances got really good and love life improved. No I did not get My Dad or Brother back but life got better and in Crowleys Confessions it warns that the book can do things on its own and I believe it can.

:o:o Al!!! Please don't tell me this. You put me off on buying anything about him now. Maybe it is wiser not to get into this as someone already told me, especially if you believe it.

:o:o Al!!! Please don't tell me this. You put me off on buying anything about him now. Maybe it is wiser not to get into this as someone already told me, especially if you believe it.

Alister did not write this book but He did use it .He claimed it could bring out demons.Had spells for Levitation ,Raising the dead etc

Alister did not write this book but He did use it .He claimed it could bring out demons.Had spells for Levitation ,Raising the dead etc

Maybe I should get this book, it might give me some reverse gre gre. :(

Hi all,

First,being a witch has nothing to do with 'black magic'.I have/use to live in Salem,MA,which had at one time more witches than lamp posts! :)

Alister did not write this book but He did use it .He claimed it could bring out demons.Had spells for Levitation ,Raising the dead etc.

That man would have been fun at a party!Levitation,raising the dead,...weeeeeeee! :D

As far as the demons go,I've had enough with x-girlfriends! :lol:

KB

This rumor may have stemmed from them not having been legally married. There were

whispers that they "bonded" in a pagan ritual instead or some other such nonsense. It's

ridiculous to credit Charlotte for Jimmy's abiding interest in the occult, which began in his teenage years. There have been many signs since their parting circa 1983 to affirm his affinity for the occult continues.

I see. I found this article..... Does Mr. Anger say the fact?

This is an excerpt of the part concerning Jimmy. He and Jimmy seemed to be best friends in the mid 70's but.......

Incredibly, Bobby Beausoleil did eventually write the score for a later version of Lucifer Rising after reconciliation with his old flame, though it was composed and performed from inside prison walls. The original composer Jimmy Page (also obsessed with the teachings of Crowley) was sacked by Anger and he too faced a dreaded curse from the magus.

“He’s a multi-millionaire miser,” he recalled with venom. “He and Charlotte, that horrible vampire girl - the druggie that got him on heroin - they’re both junkies. They had so many servants, yet they would never offer me a cup of tea or a sandwich. Which is such a mistake on their part because I put the curse of king Midas on them. If you’re greedy and just amass gold you’ll get an illness. So I did turn her and Jimmy Page into statues of gold because they’ve both lost their minds. He can’t write songs anymore.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78045939@N00/1432095224

Has anyone read a book on or of Aleister Crowley?

I have been thinking of getting one for a long time... If anyone has read his writings can pls tell me his/her opinions? thank you :)

just made a film of his life read a review meant to be shit, cant remember the name of it but would give an insight less heavy than book.

Archived