Where would you rank Jimmy Page in Top 500 Guitarists?

blakscot

I get a laugh out of every Jimmy Page review that has to throw in the old "he's not always clean", even if it comes as a sidenote along with the praise. I don't know about his hygiene, but there must be some agenda against him to keep seeing this.

:)

I get a laugh out of every Jimmy Page review that has to throw in the old "he's not always clean", even if it comes as a sidenote along with the praise. I don't know about his hygiene, but there must be some agenda against him to keep seeing this.

:) jimmy looks clean enough to me lol well who knows,all those years on the road and his past dabbling with poppys cousin :o may have left some wondering about him and whether he is still clean :huh: !

and there should be a poll on the best looking guitarists over 50,jimmy would take first place,boy he is a class act,with or without his guitar :D

:)

:) jimmy looks clean enough to me lol well who knows,all those years on the road and his past dabbling with poppys cousin :o may have left some wondering about him and whether he is still clean :huh: !

and there should be a poll on the best looking guitarists over 50,jimmy would take first place,boy he is a class act,with or without his guitar :D

um, they are talking about how " clean " his guitar playing is............ :rolleyes:

um, they are talking about how " clean " his guitar playing is............ :rolleyes:

It's a review on guitar players strengths and supposed faults - of course that's what they're talking about. I'm making a joke over a fault that seems to be stuck on Jimmy Page too often. What, the one glitch in "Heartbreaker" is worth dragging up constantly? I guess when your soooo good, the critics really have to dig to find something...

It's a review on guitar players strengths and supposed faults - of course that's what they're talking about. I'm making a joke over a fault that seems to be stuck on Jimmy Page too often. What, the one glitch in "Heartbreaker" is worth dragging up constantly? I guess when your soooo good, the critics really have to dig to find something...

Everybody on this site know's where Jimmy stands so who gives a shit about the rest of society?

As far as influencing me, my friends and my life, Jimmy will alway's be numero uno. Could care less what some emo-loving music writer thinks.

Everybody on this site know's where Jimmy stands so who gives a shit about the rest of society?

As far as influencing me, my friends and my life, Jimmy will alway's be numero uno. Could care less what some emo-loving music writer thinks.

I must second that! :thumbsup:

sorry to burst your bubble but I disagree, there are so many other amazing guitarists like Jimi Hendrix, have you seen or heard his playing.....and Jeff beck, after the split up of the yardbirds he created another band called the Jeff Beck Group, they were around at the same time as LZ but didn't make themselves as well known, he is an amazing guitarist aswell.

As the answer to the question...Jimmy is my favourite but along with Hendrix.

this just my opinion.....as yours is yours....i am just saying what i am feeling.

sorry to burst your bubble but I disagree, there are so many other amazing guitarists like Jimi Hendrix, have you seen or heard his playing.....and Jeff beck, after the split up of the yardbirds he created another band called the Jeff Beck Group, they were around at the same time as LZ but didn't make themselves as well known, he is an amazing guitarist aswell.

this just my opinion.....as yours is yours....i am just saying what i am feeling.

There's classical and jazz guitarists too...

Ummm, yes, i do believe that i've heard of this Hendrix character you speak of. And perhaps Mr. Beck as well. Oh wait, it must be because i own every Herndrix recording on the market. Right.

There is no bubble to burst, son. I have many favourite guitar players but i personally rank him #1 because the music he wrote and composed had more of an influence in MY life. I begrudge nobody for picking differently than i do because they would most likely be great choices.

Ummm, yes, i do believe that i've heard of this Hendrix character you speak of. And perhaps Mr. Beck as well. Oh wait, it must be because i own every Herndrix recording on the market. Right.

There is no bubble to burst, son. I have many favourite guitar players but i personally rank him #1 because the music he wrote and composed had more of an influence in MY life. I begrudge nobody for picking differently than i do because they would most likely be great choices.

A: im not a boy

B: yeah it's becuase of Zeppelin that i got my taste in music.....i own my life to Zep for doing that.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Let's see...

After these guys....

Robert Fripp

John McLaughlin

Paco De Lucia

Al Di Meola

Steve Howe

Paul Masvidal

Frank Zappa

Steve Vai

Paul Gilbert

Mikael Akerfeldt

Dan Swano

Steven Wilson

Mille Petrozza

I don't know, probably fairly far down the list, with other musical artists who don't really have inspiring (to me) guitar compositions.

It's tough to rank any musician because what ends up being good music can often have nothing to do with complexity or technical skill. Some of my fave guitar stuff is very simple and I consider those guitarist's to be great because they were able to take their unique musical ideas and express it via guitar. Likewise something that is technically demanding isn't a guaranty it will sound good, it may be impressive but not necessarily musically pleasing.

Jimmy's one of those guys who's gift is the ability to express his musical ideas via his instrument, it isn't always highly technical but it sounds good. Sounding good is pretty important to me.

The reason Page is so special is that his style is his own and instantly recognizable the minute you hear him play. Not too many young guitarists have struck me as having that. I hate to rate musicians in polls on who's best. In my personal poll I put Jimmy #2 behind Rory Gallagher, who I connected with at an early age. His approach to music, and the blues particularly, are exactly what I feel and I always felt a common bond with him. Clapton, when he was younger was the same as well, but then he became a pop star and i've lost interest. Others that have touched me are, Hendrix (of course), Jeff Beck, Richard Thompson, Tony Iommi and Richie Blackmore.

It all depends on who you ask and how they rank the different aspects of guitar playing.

Personally, I think the "slop" in Page's playing makes it better.., you know, adds a real character/feeling to it rather than putting off some cookie-cutter vibe.

Anyways, whens the last time anyone's heard Hendrix play live where it wasn't sloppy as hell? No one ever speaks of that... I don't understand.

Hendrix was at least twice as sloppy live as Page ever was.

Alas, both of those "sloppy" guys are in my top 3.

It all depends on who you ask and how they rank the different aspects of guitar playing.

Personally, I think the "slop" in Page's playing makes it better.., you know, adds a real character/feeling to it rather than putting off some cookie-cutter vibe.

Anyways, whens the last time anyone's heard Hendrix play live where it wasn't sloppy as hell? No one ever speaks of that... I don't understand.

Hendrix was at least twice as sloppy live as Page ever was.

Alas, both of those "sloppy" guys are in my top 3.

Yet, neither touch the "king of slop" Neil Young, the master of out of control playing.

The reason Page is so special is that his style is his own and instantly recognizable the minute you hear him play. Not too many young guitarists have struck me as having that. I hate to rate musicians in polls on who's best. In my personal poll I put Jimmy #2 behind Rory Gallagher, who I connected with at an early age. His approach to music, and the blues particularly, are exactly what I feel and I always felt a common bond with him. Clapton, when he was younger was the same as well, but then he became a pop star and i've lost interest. Others that have touched me are, Hendrix (of course), Jeff Beck, Richard Thompson, Tony Iommi and Richie Blackmore.

Richard Thompson indeed! So often overlooked for his guitar playing which is amazing as is his songwriting. Been a huge fan of his forever.

Archived