Jimmy Page in Beijing

Sorry to hear you're still having back problems, Hang-man :( , but at least your back looks much cooler than most people's!

It sure was wonderful seeing the Golden God in action--and hearing you comment on it! ;)

Yup, time to crank up those rumors. I predict the Games will kick off with Jimmy running the hurdles around the stadium, then being hydraulically lifted into the air where he will join JPJ and Jason on a giant revolving platform, they will play the Olympic hymn with violin bow inserts, then a blimp will appear overhead, and Robert will be lowered via trapeze onto the platform for an encore of Hot Dog. Sound good to you? :lol:

Great to hear from you too. :wave:

Oh, and FireOpal, I nicked the link from PZ. :ph34r: But you're welcome. :D

Hey-Up,

You missed the bit where they "Jump through Hoops of Flames, on Unicycle's, Upsidedown, & Still Playing LIVE, something like...TrampLED Underfoot, as NO Lip Sync in the UK, as where Proud to be BRITISH, not just English.

But because EVERYBODY there (Including the Athletes), will want to see Led Zeppelin, we can forget about the Olympics, Pay off the National Debt, Help Jimmy's "ABC" trust, make sure our OAP's are warm this Winter, Lower our Petrol Price's, & the list gose on, & we would still get some Change

Takecare for now,

Hang-man :ph34r:

Hey-Up,

You missed the bit where they "Jump through Hoops of Flames, on Unicycle's, Upsidedown, & Still Playing LIVE, something like...TrampLED Underfoot, as NO Lip Sync in the UK, as where Proud to be BRITISH, not just English.

But because EVERYBODY there (Including the Athletes), will want to see Led Zeppelin, we can forget about the Olympics, Pay off the National Debt, Help Jimmy's "ABC" trust, make sure our OAP's are warm this Winter, Lower our Petrol Price's, & the list gose on, & we would still get some Change

Takecare for now,

Hang-man :ph34r:

:hysterical:

Forgot the unicycles!

I enjoyed her vocals very much! Very bluesy and sexy I thought....

I thought so too. I loved it... more on second (and third) viewing. Yeah, the sound was wonky, but I loved the vibe of a woman singing it to a man. I liked what they had between them, actually. Leave it to Jimmy to put some badly needed S E X into the event!

They were rockin' it... I was so proud!

What scaffolding- you mean the little rope around their stage? The man had a POLE UP HIS ASS!!

:D

That does explain some of the facial expressions... :D

When Leona came up and up and up on the silly lift (why?) I said "hey, that's a heck of a long dress, wonder what's under it" and of course my husband said "Jimmy Page." <_<

But they both looked to be enjoying themselves so much, it seemed real and warm even if it was mostly mimed. Great job!

What's there not to understand about a double decker bus? London is crawling with them. It's symbolic of the town.

The little girl was chosen as the representative of Britain's children. She takes the ball of the 'world's' children and then crosses a zebra crossing (more British imagery), and gets on the bus. I actually thought it was like a little 'handover' for the British girl.

The London skyline was made of hay. Hay evokes the imagery of farmland, rolling hills, greenery, etc - all very British connotations.

It might be lost on some people, and maybe it's because I'm British, but I found it blatently obvious.

I'm with you... made me think of hedgerows, and topiaries in all those British gardens, and so on.

Next folks'll be asking why there were umbrellas. :rolleyes:

And the people falling down when the bus opened - the power of the future had just appeared!

Although I still can't figure out why Jimmy had to start out looking kind of like a hobbit next to the Amazing 50 Foot Tall Woman... (the Golden Goddess?) :blink:

What you heard Jimmy Page perform in Beijing was in fact an anthem. Music moves

people in profound ways and we have no idea how this will resonate within those who have seen and heard it in times to come.

Bravo, agree completely. It'll be hard to keep that many people down on the collective after they've seen (and heard!) all this.

China joined the world in the last two weeks. There's still serious work to be done, but, this makes it all the harder to go backwards. Much as I'd love someone to wave a magic wand and having everything made right, steps forward are to be celebrated.

Sharing the light of something good -- like, say, a whole lotta love, for example -- is sharing a positive force in the world. Quite the opposite of endorsing negativity. Shine on. :)

Yeah! Seems clear to me they were doing this song to encompass LOVE, in all its forms. Including physical.

Sex. It's the reason we're all here. :)

I'm with you... made me think of hedgerows, and topiaries in all those British gardens, and so on.

And the people falling down when the bus opened - the power of the future had just appeared!

Although I still can't figure out why Jimmy had to start out looking kind of like a hobbit next to the Amazing 50 Foot Tall Woman... (the Golden Goddess?) :blink:

Well, at least we understood what the hay was about :D

I think it's difficult. You're trying to do an 8 minute segment, encompassing all things British, whilst simultaneously trying not to make it look cliched and stereotypical.

We have a lot of tradition, but we're a country that's constantly changing it's cultural divides.

I think some people were expecting Beefeater's and bowler hats and all that shit <_<

I was wondering about this protocol- but Steve do you know if Jimmy gave the OK for the miming before of after he left London? It was clear he wasn't playing live, and she lip-synced like she had gum stuck to her teeth.

He said the intial inquiry concerned only the use of the song, and then it was suggested he could perform it if he was receptive to doing so. After he agreed to performing it live

he was informed Leona Lewis would be singing. Undoubtedly, given his extensive knowledge of production techniques he made sure to know before leaving England if he was to mime or if it would be a live feed. His travel itinerary afforded ample opportunity to participate in production rehearsals. It should be mentioned so far as I know he's yet to say publicly to what extent - some, all or none - he mimed. It's pretty clear there was at least some miming involved -- reminded me of Coverdale/Page photo shoots :)

Well, at least we understood what the hay was about :D

I think it's difficult. You're trying to do an 8 minute segment, encompassing all things British, whilst simultaneously trying not to make it look cliched and and stereotypical.

We have a lot of tradition, but we're a country that's constantly changing it's cultural divides.

I think some people were expecting Beefeater's and bowler hats and all that shit <_<

It was a nice mix. I liked the touch of having dancers in wheelchairs, and the girl supported on the backs of all those people dressed in costumes sort of from the past... street urchins, punk rockers, and so on. Then you had Jimmy with his classic from the past, interpreted by Leona, a new, young artist.

I liked it. :)

Of course, after that the Chinese blew my fucking socks off, I have to say. Mind boggling.

But the British will have more fun!

YEAH!! I'm Chinese, I'm Beijinger! Proud to see Jimmy Page on stage here! It's the first time he came around. I and my friends just long for watching the performance of him on the whole ceremony. Bravo the Britishes!

I watched it home instead of at the live, but there's rare applause for him thru the TV, much less than Beckham. He's quite infamous here.

But for me, it's amazing!!

Great to hear from you! :wave:

Are SEX and LOVE mutually exclusive?

Usually the "backdoor man" is only there for sex, if you understand the blues meaning behind the term.

I'm not knocking your credentials at all and yes you have a valid point about some of the performance.

It's just the politics coming into the discussion.

There are other forums to air that sort of emotive talk.

Nobody wins arguing about politics or ideologies.

Well then you just don't know me too well. ;)

If the only thing to come out of this is, it inspires Jimmy to take the show on the road, with whomever.

That would be a good thing right?

Only if it is excellent, like the O2 performance was. And probably would still need to go beyond a reunion type show too. I've said it before, but a Led Zeppelin tour would need to support new material as well in my opinion, less they just become only a fading example of what they once were. Trust me when I say, that after a time all these so called 'reunion tours' just become a commercial money grab lacking in depth and soul. Even the Stones and The Who have attempted to support new material. It may not be to the level of what it once was, but at least a performer should try to move forward... even if they are covering other material or genres (like Plant has done).

BTW, WLL would not have been my choice, Kashmir for me.

I agree that there were other songs that could have been better. But thank God it wasn't R&R or STH, right? Immigrant Song for me. Let those Chinese bastards choke on those lyrics. :lol:

Hey-Up "Del",

If it was a Led Zeppelin performance, then yep..Critisize away, but it wasn't.

It was "Sir"Jimmy havin a coulpe of minutes, to bring the "Over Priced-Waste of Money"

Olympics in 2012 to the UK (not just England).

What ever the event though, we must all agree, its wonderful to see the "GREAT-MAN",

Good on you Jimmy.

Hang-man. :ph34r:

As a lifetime fan of Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page's guitar playing. I still stand by the opinion that the performance was beneath him and the Led Zeppelin legacy. A scheme thought up by some goofy event organizer --- "hey, wouldn't it be great to have Jimmy Page play guitar and pop out of a bus full of dancers!"

Yeah sure <_<

...And it would be great... but only if it was great. The darn performance was almost as goofy as one of those parades that they do at Disneyworld. The ones with Mickey Mouse waving to the crowd from the top of a float.

Anybody else agree with me, or am I the only one who thinks this?

And BTW - what the hell was up with that Mayor of London guy? My family and I were almost rolling the floor laughing at him with his suit jacket unbuttoned as he walked down the red carpet, and then taking two or three stairs at a time up to the podium. He seemed so out of place for the occasion.

He might be a swell guy and all, but seemed a bit nerdy and strange if you ask me. :lol:

It was a nice mix. I liked the touch of having dancers in wheelchairs, and the girl supported on the backs of all those people dressed in costumes sort of from the past... street urchins, punk rockers, and so on. Then you had Jimmy with his classic from the past, interpreted by Leona, a new, young artist.

I liked it. :)

Of course, after that the Chinese blew my fucking socks off, I have to say. Mind boggling.

But the British will have more fun!

I hope so. You won't be short of a pint around here, at the least :D

And I'm just proud they wanted a Zeppelin song, nevermind the man himself.

It was a spectacular performance from China, and I only hope we can do just as well come 2012.

And BTW - what the hell was up with that Mayor of London guy? My family and I were almost rolling the floor laughing at him with his suit jacket unbuttoned as he walked down the red carpet, and then taking two or three stairs at a time up to the podium. He seemed so out of place for the occasion.

He might be a swell guy and all, but seemed a bit nerdy and strange if you ask me. :lol:

That's Boris for you. He's not nerdy - just not very tactful. Unintentionally hilarious.

Link

As a lifetime fan of Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page's guitar playing. I still stand by the opinion that the performance was beneath him and the Led Zeppelin legacy. A scheme thought up by some goofy event organizer --- "hey, wouldn't it be great to have Jimmy Page play guitar and pop out of a bus full of dancers!"

Yeah sure <_<

...And it would be great... but only if it was great. The darn performance was almost as goofy as one of those parades that they do at Disneyworld. The ones with Mickey Mouse waving to the crowd from the top of a float.

Anybody else agree with me, or am I the only one who thinks this?

Del I agree with you 100%, Jimmy Page or Led Zeppelin should never have to mime, never ever in my opinion.

The Mayor of London, one Boris Johnson, is a politician who acts and looks the fool, while his predecessor Ken Livingstone, was a fool who looks and act like a politician.

Regards, Danny

Edited to add ^^^ :lol:

Separated at birth...

Del I agree with you 100%, Jimmy Page or Led Zeppelin should never have to mime, never ever in my opinion.

I think that too, without thinking this event was beneath Jimmy.

"Whole Lotta Love" represented London and Britian, and the Olympics, and was used as a bridge between the past and the future. I just can't be upset about that! Maybe folks are unhappy because it shows - gulp - maturity and acceptance of the music in the mainstream? The legend Jimmy next to the legend Placido? Whoda' thunk it? :o

That they asked Jimmy to be part of it shows respect, IMO. I really wish he'd played it live, but, technically, maybe that just wasn't gonna be able to happen. There wasn't room for a band on that little platform, for a start. :D

I know he could have knocked it out of that arena, given the right set up - don't we all? But this was 8 minutes in the middle of an hugely technical extravaganza. And it wasn't about representing Led Zeppelin, per se.

Does any one know the real scoop about how it was done? Mimed, partially mimed?

He said the intial inquiry concerned only the use of the song, and then it was suggested he could perform it if he was receptive to doing so. After he agreed to performing it live

he was informed Leona Lewis would be singing. Undoubtedly, given his extensive knowledge of production techniques he made sure to know before leaving England if he was to mime or if it would be a live feed. His travel itinerary afforded ample opportunity to participate in production rehearsals. It should be mentioned so far as I know he's yet to say publicly to what extent - some, all or none - he mimed. It's pretty clear there was at least some miming involved -- reminded me of Coverdale/Page photo shoots :)

Thanks for the info, Steve. Well you know what they say, best leave this one...unsolved... 'cause you can't dust for miming.

:rolleyes:

Huge phallic symbol (a big raspberry to censorship).

Anyone heard about this?

Gordon Brown last night promised the greatest rock concert the world has ever seen for the opening ceremony of London 2012.

The pledge for a global spectacular to rival Beijing's came as London prepared to officially receive the Olympic baton in China today. The PM believes a line-up of rock legends such as Elton John, Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones will provide a glittering celebration of Britain's talent.

A Downing Street source said: "Gordon Brown is determined to put on the biggest and best rock show the world has ever witnessed."

Last night the Prime Minister - in Beijing for the handover ceremony - said: "I think the Olympics in 2012 will be spectacular.

Archived