Would you quit your job and go back to doing the one you had 30 years ago?

When did Louis Armstrong split up and reform? :D

My point would be that RP is doing just as you suggest with grace.

So it's not the music, it's the fact that he would have to play it with the guys who co-wrote it. It's not about doing the same thing you did thirty years ago, but hanging out with the same co-workers?

I don't think this analogy works very well.

Robert Plant has the same job he had 30 years ago, he just sort of relocated to another area of thought.

And going back wouldn't be the same as it was 30 years ago either. One of his former staff mates is no longer available. :sad:

Robert Plant has the same job he had 30 years ago, he just sort of relocated to another area of thought.

And going back wouldn't be the same as it was 30 years ago either. One of his former staff mates is no longer available. :sad:

I beg to differ he does not have the same job - he works in the same industry. His job then was the lead singer of the biggest rock band in the world, fast furious 3 hour sets in massive stadium tours. Now he isn't.

I also work in the same industry as i did nearly thirty years ago when I started work, but I do not have the same job. I had a great time in those days as I do now - just different. You move on. My friends, interests and priorities have changed.

If he decides to do it then that is his decision, and I hope it works but sadly to the younger generation of fans if there is a reunion and a tour don't imagine you will be seeing the band that cut Physical Graffiti, you will be seeing a group of musicians that were that band.

You cannot recreate moments in time and you shouldn't try to - create new ones. (Unless of course its The Song Remains the Same and you manage to create an entirely different album from the same tapes!!! Hmmm)

Interested to read comments on this, but I fear there may be a different perspective from older Zep fans.

Naturally as the younger ones didn't have jobs thirty years ago! ;)

I was actually referring to persons with a greater perspective on the effect of the passage of time in adult life rather than the ability to be gainfully employed, but you make a solid point.

I was actually referring to persons with a greater perspective on the effect of the passage of time in adult life rather than the ability to be gainfully employed, but you make a solid point.

I was just being cheeky anyway! :D

I guess the answer for me would be whether the 30 year-old gig was more appealing than my current one. So far as I've seen and heard, that is not the case for Robert Plant. Now, if my employer sweetened the pot, i.e. gave me new and exciting duties to perform, that were appealing to me today... ;)

But I remain in contentedly in the "Let the 3 Js open new doors and let Robert continue with what makes him happy" camp. There's clearly a great divide about this, but I'm happy with my O2 dvd. They did it. They proved it. They dazzled the world. The stigma of Live Aid and the Atlantic appearances was soundly trounced. The media had to eat 28+ years of harsh words. Led Zeppelin really are as great as the legend tells. And all is well in the world again. Call me a bloody Pollyanna! :lol:

No, obviously Robert doesn't want to go back to playing a part he's already finished with--he said that singing at the O2 was rather like being "in character" at times, the character of the guy he was back then.

That's the best reason for it not to happen that I've seen...

I do. The original poster was trying to illustrate the idea of not going back in time. Life is forward moving and those who had jobs 30 years ago and then seeing the jobs they have now and where they are in life, would likely not want to return. Not being the same person we were back then. Same idea with Robert not doing what he did 30 years ago.

I'm with Ev - I just want to see all of them keep making music. However it ends up, as long as they're out there, I'm a happy camper. Would it be great to see them all together, heck yeah but only if they feel it. Otherwise I'm just as happy in whatever they offer us in whatever form.

But I remain in contentedly in the "Let the 3 Js open new doors and let Robert continue with what makes him happy" camp. There's clearly a great divide about this, but I'm happy with my O2 dvd. They did it. They proved it. They dazzled the world. The stigma of Live Aid and the Atlantic appearances was soundly trounced. The media had to eat 28+ years of harsh words. Led Zeppelin really are as great as the legend tells. And all is well in the world again. Call me a bloody Pollyanna! :lol:

Totally agreed!

I would love to go back and have the same job I had back then, for a short while. I was a cook and I have learned a lot about cooking since then and would love to have the opportunity to cook again and work with the same crew I did back then. We had great times, had a lot of fun and it would be cool to interact and see how they would apply what they have learned over that time to the old job. Would I do that job forever? No. Does anyone really expect Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham to come together and NEVER part again? They would be stupid to. But I think a tour with maybe a couple of songs they never did before as Zeppelin would be pretty damn cool.

I dunno if I'd want a new album released under the Zeppelin moniker... but I think that is for the four of them to decide. If they got together and wrote new stuff that they felt was on par with anything they had written in the past, good for them. I'd buy it as I am sure most here would even if they called it "Wet Slop". Hell, they could do what they did on November 8, 1971 when they released their fourth album without a title and without a band name on the label. I'd like to see em do that and let the music stand on it's own.

There are my two cents.

led-zeppelin-by-hoffman.jpg

I beg to differ he does not have the same job - he works in the same industry. His job then was the lead singer of the biggest rock band in the world, fast furious 3 hour sets in massive stadium tours. Now he isn't.

This seems like a matter of degree and scope. Just because you don't work for as long as you used to and don't see as many customers as you used to, doesn't mean you're not doing the same thing.

I also work in the same industry as i did nearly thirty years ago when I started work, but I do not have the same job. I had a great time in those days as I do now - just different. You move on. My friends, interests and priorities have changed.

I'm willing to bet that Robert Plant's current job is closer to the one he had 30 years ago than ours is. (I wish I was old enough to compare)

But I see what you mean about the people, environments, and interests being different. No one can go back to that. I suppose you could go back to your old ways of thinking (a la Jimmy Page and his recent 60's philosophy), but not everyone around you would adjust.

If he decides to do it then that is his decision, and I hope it works but sadly to the younger generation of fans if there is a reunion and a tour don't imagine you will be seeing the band that cut Physical Graffiti, you will be seeing a group of musicians that were that band.

True. But who better to play Led Zeppelin music than the musicians that created it? (Page said something very similar) Technically, we're not the same persons we were 5 seconds ago. We're constantly changing mentally and physically every second of our lives. I think it takes some number of years for all of our cells in our body to have completely regenerated so that we don't have a single cell in us that was still alive however many years ago...

And of course we're changing artistically. I know I don't hear the same band on "Led Zeppelin II" as I do on "In Through The Out Door". So just because there is huge gap of discontinuity between 1980 and 2008/9/10 doesn't mean to me that they can't pick up somewhat where they left off and even more.

You cannot recreate moments in time and you shouldn't try to - create new ones. (Unless of course its The Song Remains the Same and you manage to create an entirely different album from the same tapes!!! Hmmm)

They recreated "Dazed and Confused" (among others) almost every show and no one complained (save a few harsh critics). I just don't think that there is any amount of time you can put on something to say that you can't go back to something.

There isn't some all powerful "fate police" that comes knocking at your door to say "HEY YOU, STOP PLAYING, YOU ALREADY DID THIS!" They should and will do whatever their hearts tell them to do. If it's an attempt to recreate and expand on the things they did before, then yeah I call that Led Zeppelin.

That's a band I would like to see.

I do. The original poster was trying to illustrate the idea of not going back in time. Life is forward moving and those who had jobs 30 years ago and then seeing the jobs they have now and where they are in life, would likely not want to return. Not being the same person we were back then. Same idea with Robert not doing what he did 30 years ago.

I think you guys are definitely right. There is more to life than your job, however, so having the same job might not be so hard to go back to. It's living in the same environment that is impossible. Probably why I didn't get the analogy.

I'm with Ev - I just want to see all of them keep making music. However it ends up, as long as they're out there, I'm a happy camper. Would it be great to see them all together, heck yeah but only if they feel it. Otherwise I'm just as happy in whatever they offer us in whatever form.

Most definitely.

No neither would I!

So why on earth would you expect Robert Plant to do the same?

Now I write as a devotee of Led Zeppelin, the band, the music and the whole monster that is their legacy in music, however this nonsense should stop.

Would you walk up to Oscar Wilde and say " Say something funny"?

Why not tell Da Vinci on completion of the Mona Lisa "Thats great paint it again....and again..... and again"?

Tell Dickens "Don't bother with those other stories just write Oliver Twist again"

Ridiculous isn't it.

I feel personally connected to the fantastic music of LZ and indeed take pride in it as if were my own. This is nothing to the pride that I am sure is felt by RP and the other members in their achievement. It was, and is incredible, the chance of improving the catalogue is minute and is wholly unnecessary both financially and artistically.

The O2 was a wonderful and totally justified tribute to both a band and more importantly a man instrumental in modern music who provided great support for LZ.

If the JP and JPJ have something they want to offer, and I am sure they have, lets have it... great I will be the first in the queue, if Jason Bonham is on drums that's just peachy too.

I am really delighted they have something to offer, but is it Led Zeppelin, I hope not and if RP chooses to follow a different path, then respect to him.

Would I buy the album and see the tour - of course I would. Would I pay through the nose - of course. Would I buy anything on any format - try and stop me. Wouldn't it be just awful if that were the motivation behind this?

Done....moved on.

How's it going all? I swear, I have been spending more time on the Forum today than doing my job at work. OH WELL! This is a very interesting question as well. I do remember Pagey quoting in a magazine in the past that LED ZEPPELIN was NEVER a job or chore, it was a passion. For LED ZEPPELIN or any band to be together for 11 years or more, you have to have heart and passion to love and play the music. In my opinion, I think that Robert is very sensitive about his vocals. Can Robert belt out the high vocal ranges to all of the classic ZEPPELIN songs from the past? I wish that Robert would realize that all we would love to see is ZEPPELIN perform live again one more time for the whole world to see like they did at the 02 Arena in London on 10 December 2007. Those lucky and priviledged people who saw ZEPPELIN live witnessed Rock n' Roll history. The real question for Robert is does all of the people in the world want to see LED ZEPPELIN live again? I think the answer speaks for itself. ROCK ON!

No neither would I!

Done....moved on.

To answer your question truthfully, yes, i would, if i could turn back the hands of time, return to Aug. 1978. Why, because for one, i was only 22, single and playing rock music full time. No mortgage, car payments, college tuition (for the kid) and no worries about if we will have enough money to retire on.

In relation to Robert Plant, he may not feel the same way. But i'm sure he's not worrying about the same things as me :o

No, I wouldn't quit what I'm doing now and go back to doing what I did 30 years ago. I love what I'm doing now. But, the possibility of time travel is tempting - my friends and I sometimes say that, if it were possible, we would go back and relive a night or two from our youth. In a heartbeat. :D

None of them are working for the money anymore. So I'm not sure you could call any of this a "job". It's more of a hobby.

good point. some of us took jobs because of the money, and I think it's clear that this isn't the case now and possibly wasn't the case way back then.

When did Robert Plant ever stop making music? There's not a difference between music and Led Zeppelin.

People will be listening to Zeppelin music long after Plant is gone. People will be playing it on instruments, too. Creative work that lives on is not a bad thing.

No one fell in love with my lousy waitressing from 30 years ago, however. :D

No neither would I!

Your premis is flawed. We're not talking about going back 30 years to a menial job. We're talking about a job that made them hundreds of millions of dollars. Going back now, those dollar figures will be eclipsed...I snipped the rest of you post because it is meaningless opinion...no offense...

No I would not as with most people I have made a few mistakes but all in all I am happy with My life as is. 3 great Kids 5 cool Grandkids.I make good Money and do what I want most of the time.I do wish I had the energy I had when I was Twenty.However its all good I still act like a big Kid most of the time.I have met some of the most interesting People many of them famous but most just ordinary people like You and Me.No I do not want a do over.

Archived