Finding Led Zeppelin in unrelated places

marmorek

Ok, but how does that work exactly? There's a small part of a song in a commercial that looks like it has nothing to do with the game. I guess interested gamers seek out the song title, then the band? Just seems a weird reach, but maybe it's effective? I think something more related would be a better crossover, like a song thematically connected to another artistic outlet...

With all due respect to gamers, the example below surely can't be an one of 'well written and complex as movies' (though many movies seem more like video games, but they're generally deemed to suck, or just categorized as summer popcorn fun). But... 'The Godfather'? Come on...

I was just using the Godfather as an example, just saying the writing on games can be quite good. 

and that clip is from the DLC, not the proper game. Just posted it to stay on topic. ;)

I was just using the Godfather as an example, just saying the writing on games can be quite good. 

and that clip is from the DLC, not the proper game. Just posted it to stay on topic. ;)

Ok, fair enough. I'm genuinely curious about it as it's a world I know in the most peripheral way, that is, I'm aware it exists and people love it. Apparently in South Korea there are even professional gamers. Great creative outlets in whatever form are interesting, so it's not that I'm precious about Godfather comparisons in general, but if that's the reference point, then the game better be good. Thanks for clarifying.

Still not convinced that the "Black Dog" tie in 'exposes' a new generation of fans to Zep in this way, but it's certainly a huge market to tap into.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying movie viewers have to do those things?

No, I already pointed out that the two are different experiences which don't have enough in common for a fair comparison. I'm wondering to what lengths a modern game will go to recreate reality, to put the player in the boots of the hitman. I hear video games have come a long way since Pole Position and Double Dragon. Just curious.

Ok, but how does that work exactly? There's a small part of a song in a commercial that looks like it has nothing to do with the game. I guess interested gamers seek out the song title, then the band? Just seems a weird reach, but maybe it's effective? I think something more related would be a better crossover, like a song thematically connected to another artistic outlet...

if you go look on youtube a lot of the comments say so and so "brought me here". its the way a lot of people get their music. they hear a short piece of a song on a tv show or commercial and look it up. then from there check out the rest of their work.

Edited by sk8rat

No, I already pointed out that the two are different experiences which don't have enough in common for a fair comparison. I'm wondering to what lengths a modern game will go to recreate reality, to put the player in the boots of the hitman. I hear video games have come a long way since Pole Position and Double Dragon. Just curious.

haha ok. No, transmissions are all automatic in GTA, although I'm sure in racing games/simulators you shift manually.

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

• 4 weeks later...

In the last few weeks on npr they had one very emotional segment, that they ended with the music to, the rain song and it fit very well. Then they had a story a week later, on communication.., and how people are more likely to miscommunicate with people they know, as opposed they dont know. The premise was that there is familiarity there, so things are taken for granted and assumed....and therefore we are all idiots not communicating right. So they ended that segment with........,communication breakdown

This is part of an interview a wrestling manager did for Sports Illustrated magazine. His name is Paul Heyman of WWE.

On his favorite non-wrestling moment at Madison Square Garden: "I was a kid and I was a photographer and it's the moment I learned what being a rock star, which is what anyone who performs at MSG is in some way a frustrated rock star because we all want that moment when you're just standing there doing absolutely nothing and the crowd worships you like the God that you intend to be. And because I had a press pass for what was then WWWF. I got a press pass for Led Zeppelin. They came out for their second encore. They had held back Stairway to Heaven all night long. And when Robert Plant would ask the crowd what they wanted to hear ... that was the song people wanted to hear. So they came out for their second encore. And Jimmy Page stepped up, the lights went dark, they hit the spotlight on Page and he just hit the opening couple chords to Stairway to Heaven and the place erupted. Even as I'm telling you this now, I'm covered in goose bumps. It tingled my spine. And the place erupted in an explosion like the Knicks just won the championship. And Jimmy Page just stopped and looked up and had the most s**t-eating grin on his face and he knew he owned them. And for three or four minutes - but it seemed like an hour - they didn't play. They didn't sing. They just soaked in the enormity of the response and just stood there and let it come to them. And then they played the song. And at that moment, I just said to myself, "wow. that's what it's like. that's the moment everyone dreams about. That right there is what you work towards and for."

they made a reference about a led zeppelin reunion in the new tv show scream queens.

The episode kicks off with Chanels #1-6 planning Chanel #1's pumpkin patch fundraiser to combat black hairy tongue disease. This is Chanel's way to directly oppose and upstage Zayday, even though she's missing, as she runs for KKT president. It would be unlike Chanel #1 to not make crazy demands surrounding the event, so of course she demanded her Chanel underlings to get Maroon 5, Fergie (of which Chanel #3 got 2: former pop star Fergie and British royalty Sarah Ferguson), and Led Zeppelin, who Chanel #5 couldn't get because "apparently one of them died or something." Chanel #1 flips out on Chanel #5, but simmers down enough to show the girls to their Halloween costumes. 

Edited by sk8rat

if you go look on youtube a lot of the comments say so and so "brought me here". its the way a lot of people get their music. they hear a short piece of a song on a tv show or commercial and look it up. then from there check out the rest of their work.

Exactly this. It's such a bloody different world even in the last 5 or so years! sheesh.

The Hallmark series "The Good Witch" mentions Led Zeppelin.  One of the main characters recalls a time as a teenager when he snuck into the bell tower at a church and put a Led Zeppelin tape in instead.  When they rung the bell, the whole town heard Zeppelin.

This is part of an interview a wrestling manager did for Sports Illustrated magazine. His name is Paul Heyman of WWE.

On his favorite non-wrestling moment at Madison Square Garden: "I was a kid and I was a photographer and it's the moment I learned what being a rock star, which is what anyone who performs at MSG is in some way a frustrated rock star because we all want that moment when you're just standing there doing absolutely nothing and the crowd worships you like the God that you intend to be. And because I had a press pass for what was then WWWF. I got a press pass for Led Zeppelin. They came out for their second encore. They had held back Stairway to Heaven all night long. And when Robert Plant would ask the crowd what they wanted to hear ... that was the song people wanted to hear. So they came out for their second encore. And Jimmy Page stepped up, the lights went dark, they hit the spotlight on Page and he just hit the opening couple chords to Stairway to Heaven and the place erupted. Even as I'm telling you this now, I'm covered in goose bumps. It tingled my spine. And the place erupted in an explosion like the Knicks just won the championship. And Jimmy Page just stopped and looked up and had the most s**t-eating grin on his face and he knew he owned them. And for three or four minutes - but it seemed like an hour - they didn't play. They didn't sing. They just soaked in the enormity of the response and just stood there and let it come to them. And then they played the song. And at that moment, I just said to myself, "wow. that's what it's like. that's the moment everyone dreams about. That right there is what you work towards and for."

Did Mr. Heyman mention the year?  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

CBS Series Criminal Minds broadcasted an Episode called Drive (Season 11, Episode 12) on Wednesday, January 20, 2015. 

In this episode, Dr. Tara Lewis (played by Aisha Tyler)), a psychologist who works with the BAU team.

She talks with Special Agent David Rossi (played by Joe Mantegna) about cruising in a classic car, that she restored, with the wind in her hair playing "Hendrix, Zeppelin, anything by the Doors.

Yeah but it's worth it - restoring cars.jpg

Just you and the open road.jpg

What's better than cruisin' with the windows down.jpg

Wind in your hair, music playing.jpg

Sinatra, Bennett, Dean Martin.jpg

More like Hendrix, Zeppelin, anything by the Doors.jpg

Nothing but time on your hands.jpg

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

"Communication Breakdown" playing at Donald Trump's Iowa rally:

I actually hunted out this thread immediately after viewing this video. You beat me to it. Shame something as great as the almighty Led Zeppelin should be associated with Trump

1 hour ago, BronYrAur5231 said:

I actually hunted out this thread immediately after viewing this video. You beat me to it. Shame something as great as the almighty Led Zeppelin should be associated with Trump

at least it was the protesters playing it and not trump trying to reach out to the youth like Hilary. regardless led zeppelin should be kept away from politics, they are far above something so pedestrian.