the world's greatest electric guitarist.

barrios

now that i've grabbed your attention by making such a sweeping statement, listen to the clip, and keep listening, until you get it.

it's not that he plays fast; it's his perfect phrasing and sense of melody.

a true genius, we see his like very seldomly, the guy was from a different planet, there's a full tab of this in "guitar techniques, sep 2008" magazine.

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=5yZksKwH9Co

now that i've grabbed your attention by making such a sweeping statement, listen to the clip, and keep listening, until you get it.

a true genius, we see his like very seldomly, the guy was from a different planet, there's a full tab of this in "guitar techniques, sep 2008" magazine.

The greatest is very debatable !!! but yes nice guitarist, for me someone who has a great sense of phrasing and technical ability is Steve Morse, but we are all different :)

that was not jimmy page!!!!! i want my money back!

seriously, i didn't find his phrasing perfect, i found it 'slick'.

a true genuis?

what else ya got? (not more of this guy, i clicked all the sidebar videos, just more of the same)

now that i've grabbed your attention by making such a sweeping statement....

Agreed, and although he's a nice player it doesn't necessarily make him the world's best. His phrasing, for me at least, is too continual. It's what the player leaves out that makes the difference. Take Peter Green for example. During his tenure with Fleetwood Mac, his solos were largely silence, with the odd killer note thrown in for good measure. It's what the guy doesn't say that makes him interesting.

RB

Not that impressed. If he was the world's greatest guitarist, that song wouldn't be so boring.

It's soloing over a bunch of chords. Obviously the guy can play about anything he wants, but it's just not that tasteful.

His phrasing isn't that mindblowing, but it's hard to keep that aspect up, when you can shred like that.

I give him an A+ on just about everything, including tastlessness and wankery.

Yeah, a great guitar player for sure. It's too bad he died so young and IMHO he's not the world's greatest but then again nobody is. I couldn't possibly rate guitar players because everyone is so different and it is all open to interpretation. I will say this about Shawn Lane though, 2 or 3 months back Guitar World had a shred edition out and he was clocked as being the world's Fastest guitarist.

IMPRESSED!......that he can play the guitar so well with those big sausage fingers! :D

But seriously if he had made the solo shorter rather than repeating himself a dozen times over, and then built a decent meaningful song around it then i may have wanted to listen to it again. As it stands it's just an overlong exhibition of how fast he can get his fingers up and down the fret board.

Unfortunately the guitarist in the video, Shawn Lane, is no longer with us. He reminded me of Eric Johnson. Lots of smooth compressed notes. Shawn Lane was well-regarded in the Guitar Boy magazines but remained under the radar to most.

Now Eric Johnson is a fine player :)

There's no such thing as "the world's greatest electric guitarist".

There are many great players out there, and it's pointless to say "this one is better than that one". You can't compare a hard rock guitarplayer to a jazzplayer 'cause they're both good at what they do

Great players?

Dickey Betts

Duane Allman

Ritchie Blackmore

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Peter Green

Eric Clapton

Dave Davies

Johnny Winter

David Lindley

....and a whole lot of others! The list goes on forever :)

Sorry, all I listened to was about one minute of that generic and boring guitar sound.

There are many great players out there, and it's pointless to say "this one is better than that one". You can't compare a hard rock guitarplayer to a jazzplayer 'cause they're both good at what they do

Very True statement as well.

Eric Johnson is a fine player but has succumbed to, like so many other fine guitarists, the boring muse of continually playing the same phrases over and over. I saw Eric Johnson several years ago in Texas and he was great,...but,,..would go right to the edge with a solo and then, like clockwork do the same descending phrase he does all the time. ARGGGH. I was waiting for him to just go off but instead he played it save, yet again with his signature riffs. Very disappointing for someone with such creativity and complete control over his ability.

The other guitarist that does this over and over again is Al Dimeola. Fanatastic technique but if you learn his ascending and descending signature riff, you know 75% of his catalogue.

As for Shawn Lane. Back in the day fellow speedsters like George Lynch and Vinnie Moore would praise him for his playing. And rightly so. He was very good. But the songs with boring melodies were simply the vehicle for him to shred. Just my opinion.

Having played guitar for a long time, there is value in shredding if appropriate to the context. But so is hitting one note that can cause a tear to fall.

Eric Johnson is a fine player but has succumbed to, like so many other fine guitarists, the boring muse of continually playing the same phrases over and over. I saw Eric Johnson several years ago in Texas and he was great,...but,,..would go right to the edge with a solo and then, like clockwork do the same descending phrase he does all the time. ARGGGH. I was waiting for him to just go off but instead he played it save, yet again with his signature riffs. Very disappointing for someone with such creativity and complete control over his ability.

The other guitarist that does this over and over again is Al Dimeola. Fanatastic technique but if you learn his ascending and descending signature riff, you know 75% of his catalogue.

As for Shawn Lane. Back in the day fellow speedsters like George Lynch and Vinnie Moore would praise him for his playing. And rightly so. He was very good. But the songs with boring melodies were simply the vehicle for him to shred. Just my opinion.

Having played guitar for a long time, there is value in shredding if appropriate to the context. But so is hitting one note that can cause a tear to fall.

Archived