Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

Apart form Phil Collins's solo career and perhaps of late David Gilmour ( the live RAH show being far better than On an island) how many other artists from bands have had any sort of solo success?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a few:

Eric Clapton- Cream, Yardbirds, Derek and the Dominoes

Paul McCartney- The Beatles

Rod Stewart- The Jeff Beck Group, The Small Faces

Steve Winwood - The Spencer Davis Group, Traffic

Jeff Beck - The Yardbirds

Carlos Santana - The Santana Band { original line-up}

Lets not forget Ozzy

I have yet to see where Jimmy had kind things to say about Robert.

Oh, there have been many occasions where he's done that, Nine. Even in a 2001 interview by Mick Wall, where it's obvious that Jimmy is really pissed off at Robert, he still praises Robert's singing and some of his lyrics. At the very least it's safe to say he has a very high opinion of Robert's contribution to Led Zeppelin. :)

Amen! I can't believe this thread has gone 40 pages!! It is beyond tiresome hearing some people bash Robert for the zillionth time!! :thumbdown:

Yeah,..it's getting as tiring as people putting Plant above and beyond reproach to any criticism. People have opinions. Whether or not you like them, you have to accept them for what they are. If you can't do that, try and add something constructive to counter an opposing view.

Discarding someones opinion as tiresome shows a level of adolescence and lack of understanding of basic communication skills. Albeit some comments are uncalled for, it is your responsibilty to rise above,...no?

Oh, there have been many occasions where he's done that, Nine. Even in a 2001 interview by Mick Wall, where it's obvious that Jimmy is really pissed off at Robert, he still praises Robert's singing and some of his lyrics. At the very least it's safe to say he has a very high opinion of Robert's contribution to Led Zeppelin. :)

Happy to hear that as I've just not come across them in my readings!

Yeah,..it's getting as tiring as people putting Plant above and beyond reproach to any criticism. People have opinions. Whether or not you like them, you have to accept them for what they are. If you can't do that, try and add something constructive to counter an opposing view.

Discarding someones opinion as tiresome shows a level of adolescence and lack of understanding of basic communication skills. Albeit some comments are uncalled for, it is your responsibilty to rise above,...no?

Plant is not beyond reproach or criticism, but why does he continually get blasted for going his own way? Too many people are of the mind that Robert owes them something . He hasn't done anything worth the scorn that has been thrown his way.

Musicians are artists - they're creative people who follow that muse that drives them to make music. It's not up to us to dictate what that should be doing or how they should do it.

Robert owes us nothing. Neither do Jimmy or John Paul for that matter. They gave us a gift of a lifetime - heck 28 years after they broke up, we're still here talking about what an amazing band they are. But Robert isn't just some entertainer being paid millions to entertain or we'd have either seen them doing countless Zep tours or he'd be taking over Celine Dion's slot at Vegas.

I do understand the artist creativity process. Myself, I'm not asking for a studio album and a full tour and zeppelin for the next ten years, only six shows. Rehashing the old with a rare one(like for your life) every now and then would be outstanding and appreciated by me and I believe many others.

I'm not saying he has to do it, its his life, but if millions want it and one doesn't It seems selfish to not do it. I'm sure he understands that people have opinions and every right to speak/write about it...even on the bands own website.

And Thank God they never did the vegas shiiite. They're way to cool for that. i was surprised RP did the Coca Cola commercial. That's the most commercial thing any of them has done that I know of.

At 60 yrs old the voice can't handle the rigors of 2 to 3 shows a week. It isn't the easiest, vocally speaking, range of songs to sing consistently. His standards are higher than he feels he could give us by touring with JP, JPJ, JB. Where he is now, musically and vocally, allows him to more comfortably go about and "do his job." Nothing wrong with that....Hopefully onwards and upwards for the rest of them! Just My Opinion!

The people who refuse to trash him for having a mind of his own have also got opinions, and have explained at great length the reasons for their opinions. If you missed the many many constructive arguments, that's your loss, I'm afraid--Lord knows there's enough pages of this thread where you can find them! And then accept those people's opinions for what they are, rather than labeling them as adolescent and unable to communicate, because you don't agree with them.

I think EVERYONE (except you) finds these arguments tiresome by now, no matter what their position on the subject. It's been done to death, and it's time to move on. How many times can we all go on saying the same thing? There's new music on the horizon, and we should be looking forward to it, not complaining because it's not going to be in the exact format we might have liked!

Six shows is not much travelling compared to what he's used to.

Two in NY, two in LA and two in London. or anywhere.

I'm not asking for a full blown 50 show tour like 95 or 98. Just a few shows from the greatest rock and roll band ever. Enough to do a dvd so that we can finally have a good recorded show in excellent quality recording.

The fact that it is even possible is absolutely amazing. Why not cherish the fact that it's possible to do it and use that as the momentum driver. And like I've said many times is it that bad to play with the boys?

I have bashed robert pretty bad on this board after hearing the news. Some of the stuff was way overboard, but I still honestly feel that he is an entertainer who gets paid to entertain. You do not entertain for yourself, but for others to enjoy. Millions want this and one does not. The needs of the many....comes to mind.

I feel that if anyone, not just robert, can do something to make millions of people happy they should do it. and not hold back.

So you want six shows and that will be good enough? The problem with this idea is that 20 million people from all around the world tried to get tickets to the 02. In your idea, about 19+ million are left out. Not to mention the people that didn't even try to get tickets because they know they couldn't go. So guess what, everyone who doesn't get to go to one of these six shows will still be clamoring for a full-blown tour.

BTW, the 02 was recorded. They can release a DVD if they want.

I disagree that Robert is an entertainer who is paid to entertain. He's not on salary, he's a musician who can do what he wants. I liken it to an independent carpenter who builds gorgeous, impressive structures that reach to the sky. Millions of people admire and are in awe of these creations. Yet he also crafts these delicate, intricate jewel boxes that you can hold in your hand and cherish. The jewel boxes are just as important to the carpenter as the massive buildings, the satisfaction that he gets from creating them is just as great. Those that purchase the jewel boxes recognize them for the treasures they are. Who are we to tell the carpenter that he should quit wasting his time with the jewel boxes and get back to the massive buildings?

Pardon the analogy...got carried away. Please continue on with the Robert bashing if it will make you feel better.

So you want six shows and that will be good enough? The problem with this idea is that 20 million people from all around the world tried to get tickets to the 02. In your idea, about 19+ million are left out. Not to mention the people that didn't even try to get tickets because they know they couldn't go. So guess what, everyone who doesn't get to go to one of these six shows will still be clamoring for a full-blown tour.

I disagree that Robert is an entertainer who is paid to entertain. He's not on salary, he's a musician who can do what he wants. I liken it to an independent carpenter who builds gorgeous, impressive structures that reach to the sky. Millions of people admire and are in awe of these creations. Yet he also crafts these delicate, intricate jewel boxes that you can hold in your hand and cherish. The jewel boxes are just as important to the carpenter as the massive buildings, the satisfaction that he gets from creating them is just as great. Those that purchase the jewel boxes recognize them for the treasures they are. Who are we to tell the carpenter that he should quit wasting his time with the jewel boxes and get back to the massive buildings?

Pardon the analogy...got carried away. Please continue on with the Robert bashing if it will make you feel better.

Strange Sensation did do a cover of If I were a carpenter :D

The people who refuse to trash him for having a mind of his own have also got opinions, and have explained at great length the reasons for their opinions. If you missed the many many constructive arguments, that's your loss, I'm afraid--Lord knows there's enough pages of this thread where you can find them! And then accept those people's opinions for what they are, rather than labeling them as adolescent and unable to communicate, because you don't agree with them.

I think EVERYONE (except you) finds these arguments tiresome by now, no matter what their position on the subject. It's been done to death, and it's time to move on. How many times can we all go on saying the same thing? There's new music on the horizon, and we should be looking forward to it, not complaining because it's not going to be in the exact format we might have liked!

Never said I agreed or not with anyones opinions. And I find it has been done to death also, but that wasn't my point

You certainly make an excellent point. It is the opinion of many that there's not enough good vid to do a show from the 02. if there was I'd be happy. i really would.

Awesome analogy. I guess it's also like a great sports star ending his career in the middle of it to do sportscasting intead of playing his sport. It's entertainment, a different form, and enjoyed even more than playing the sport itself. I just feel that once in awhile they should play a benefit game, and once in awhile your jewel box builder should build a skyscraper. Especially when all the materials are there ready and waiting for it to be built and millions of people knocking the doors down(ticket buyers) before the building is even built.

Years ago he built the greatest skyscrapers ever. Then his crew dismantled so he did jewel boxes and an outstanding job at that. Then 28 years later the old crew is back and ready to go to build more skyscrapers, so he does one. They want to do more and he wants to stick with the jewel boxes.

I'm sorry I just can't imagine why.

And to the many who don't want to hear any more about comments and opinions on roberts official statement then it's pretty easy. you should not open this forum. Isn't that why threads are titled so you know what's in there before you go. There are many other forums to choose from. I don't read the cartoon section because i don't like cartoons. If you don't want to hear opinions on robert's statement then don't read the thread that's enttitled Replying to Robert Plant Official Statement.

Sorry, but it seems a nobrainer.

I do understand the artist creativity process. Myself, I'm not asking for a studio album and a full tour and zeppelin for the next ten years, only six shows. Rehashing the old with a rare one(like for your life) every now and then would be outstanding and appreciated by me and I believe many others.

I'm not saying he has to do it, its his life, but if millions want it and one doesn't It seems selfish to not do it. I'm sure he understands that people have opinions and every right to speak/write about it...even on the bands own website.

And Thank God they never did the vegas shiiite. They're way to cool for that. i was surprised RP did the Coca Cola commercial. That's the most commercial thing any of them has done that I know of.

The only thing is - six shows while that would be great and yes, many would appreciate it but much like the 02 when prior to that, people said "oh if they would just do one more show it would be great". Well they did and we had a barrage of people complaining it was in the UK, couldn't get tickets etc. I don't know Robert or what he's thinking but my sense is he's always been an artist who seeks challenge and something new. So by that, while Zep was a great part of his life and one (despite what people try to say) he's incredibly proud of, in his mind touring again would be doing something he's done already and he's probably looking at his next challenge, if you see what I mean. I don't see it as him being selfish but I do understand the disappointment of them not touring.

But he's still out there making music and Jimmy appears to be ready to rock the world again which I'm all for embracing :D

Well don't forget the Cadillac commercial ;)

At 60 yrs old the voice can't handle the rigors of 2 to 3 shows a week. It isn't the easiest, vocally speaking, range of songs to sing consistently. His standards are higher than he feels he could give us by touring with JP, JPJ, JB. Where he is now, musically and vocally, allows him to more comfortably go about and "do his job." Nothing wrong with that....Hopefully onwards and upwards for the rest of them! Just My Opinion!

Tell that to Roger Daltrey and Mick Jagger to name onlly 2.

The only thing is - six shows while that would be great and yes, many would appreciate it but much like the 02 when prior to that, people said "oh if they would just do one more show it would be great". Well they did and we had a barrage of people complaining it was in the UK, couldn't get tickets etc. I don't know Robert or what he's thinking but my sense is he's always been an artist who seeks challenge and something new. So by that, while Zep was a great part of his life and one (despite what people try to say) he's incredibly proud of, in his mind touring again would be doing something he's done already and he's probably looking at his next challenge, if you see what I mean. I don't see it as him being selfish but I do understand the disappointment of them not touring.

But he's still out there making music and Jimmy appears to be ready to rock the world again which I'm all for embracing :D

Well don't forget the Cadillac commercial ;)

I do admire robert for the oh so many paths he has travelled. his albums greatly range in style and origin and alot of it is just outstanding. He truly is very very experimental in his solo stuff and of course with jp. I really appreciated the no quarter tour. I always assumed that the only reason that they did it was because it was a challenge to take what they had and make something so different in style, but with the same background from where they came from. How can we do zep and make it fresh and interesting. They did it. Thought it was outstanding.

oh yeah, the cadillac commercial. that was surprising too. i thought that was not a way of cashing in(like rp and coke), but a way of getting zep "out there' again so that mothership and tsrts remake, and reunion show and then --please don't shame me for saying it--but the world tour! would be promoted.

It was all flowing so nicely, especially with the foo thing and the olympics thrown in.

Go Jimmy!

I do admire robert for the oh so many paths he has travelled. his albums greatly range in style and origin and alot of it is just outstanding. He truly is very very experimental in his solo stuff and of course with jp. I really appreciated the no quarter tour. I always assumed that the only reason that they did it was because it was a challenge to take what they had and make something so different in style, but with the same background from where they came from. How can we do zep and make it fresh and interesting. They did it. Thought it was outstanding.

oh yeah, the cadillac commercial. that was surprising too. i thought that was not a way of cashing in(like rp and coke), but a way of getting zep "out there' again so that mothership and tsrts remake, and reunion show and then --please don't shame me for saying it--but the world tour! would be promoted.

It was all flowing so nicely, especially with the foo thing and the olympics thrown in.

Go Jimmy!

I loved the Unledded project a lot too. I thought it was fantastic how they infused the middle eastern/north African sounds into the songs - worked incredibly well and equally great to see live! And I do love his solo work - I have a lot of respect for him not resting on his laurels and venturing into many diverse musical territories.

Robert did the coke commercial for the same reason according to an interview he gave with Kurt Loder in 1988 for MTV. Just a way for him to reach more fans.

Never said I agreed or not with anyones opinions. And I find it has been done to death also, but that wasn't my point

I think your first sentence made it clear you had a dog in this fight. And it's because it's become a fight that many of us would like to just leave it here.

Archived