Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

Plant speaking to Neil McCormick in the Telegraph:"It's really about going into the place in your soul at the time you get the calling," he told me when I spoke to him last year. "There is nothing on the planet that's worth doing now that isn't compulsory to my soul's passage. There's not one single step I will take in front of the next if it isn't going in the right place."

That is my prayer answered. :)

That is a nice thought.

Last time I checked the "three J's" (how irritating that moniker is) have accomplished sweet fuck all as a unit. It simply remains to be seen.

Hmmmm, depends on where you are checking Steve.....

All I ask for when I pray, is for Robert Plant to get out of the way.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

First Robert was blocking the view of the sunset in Ibiza....and now he's blocking Jimmy's project.

That's priceless.

How will this thread end up? I can only imagine it will be Robert's fault.

Time to ignore the comments. This will just go on forever if allowed to. Besides, we all know it's really Canada's fault ;)

QUOTE (ally @ Oct 6 2008, 07:47 PM)

Time to ignore the comments. This will just go on forever if allowed to. Besides, we all know it's really Canada's fault

To be more specific, Toronto's fault.

So true, blame canada.

It's all Jimmy's fault actually. I mean, Mr. Perfection just had to go out and get the best singer available. How selfish. If he could just settle for 2nd, 3rd or 4th best for a change than none of this would be happening...and i mean nothing.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

To be more specific, Toronto's fault. :D

Nice sig, btw.

lol Toronto :D We're gonna look like that sig pretty soon my man. I think winter is gonna come early

It's all Jimmy's fault actually. I mean, Mr. Perfection just had to go out and get the best singer available. How selfish. If he could just settle for 2nd, 3rd or 4th best for a change than none of this would be happening...and i mean nothing.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with wanting the best, because I'm sure he'll get it. If he doesn't have it already.

Well anyway, it's nobody's fault but mine.

This is an official statement from Robert, which I've posted on his website.

-Sam

---

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are currently touring the USA on the last leg of their 'Raising Sand' tour. They played a benefit concert in Oklahoma City for victims of Hurricane Ike last Friday; Austin,Texas last Saturday and tomorrow they play Portland, Oregon before finishing the tour in Saratoga, California on October 5th.

After those dates, Robert has no intention whatsoever of touring with anyone for at least the next two years. Contrary to a spate of recent reports, Robert Plant will not be touring or recording with Led Zeppelin. Anyone buying tickets online to any such event will be buying bogus tickets.

“It‘s both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to

rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward,” Robert Plant said.

“I wish Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham nothing but success with any future projects,” he added.

Plant speaking to Neil McCormick in the Telegraph:"It's really about going into the place in your soul at the time you get the calling," he told me when I spoke to him last year. "There is nothing on the planet that's worth doing now that isn't compulsory to my soul's passage. There's not one single step I will take in front of the next if it isn't going in the right place."

That is my prayer answered. :)

At last a clear from-the-horse's-mouth statement.

Well, what can you say but thanks for the music and best of luck on your path, wherever it may take you. If Robert Plant feels he's following his 'soul's passage' (that's pretty intense), then it's as it should be.

If they're going to play together, then at least we can look forward to more separate concerts. It's all good.

Tall Cool One sounds more like a rockabilly pastiche than pop schlock to me. (I like it, anyway!)

I just wanted to revisit this post for the benefit of those who saw fit to misrepresent my point on another forum.

I was not claiming Tall Cool one wasn't a pop song, but that it wasn't "pop schlock."

It has frequently been described as a rockabilly pastiche (I realize "parody" is an easier word, but that implies making fun of something, which this song doesn't do. Pastiche is a longer word, but more accurate, I'm afraid). Listen to the Stray Cats if unfamiliar with the genre.

The song as originally written has nothing to do with the ad for which it was later used.

Apologies to everybody else for this diversion--I realize what I was saying here was clear to nearly all of you the first time.

I just wanted to revisit this post for the benefit of those who saw fit to misrepresent my point on another forum.

I was not claiming Tall Cool one wasn't a pop song, but that it wasn't "pop schlock."

It has frequently been described as a rockabilly pastiche (I realize "parody" is an easier word, but that implies making fun of something, which this song doesn't do. Pastiche is a longer word, but more accurate, I'm afraid). Listen to the Stray Cats if unfamiliar with the genre.

The song as originally written has nothing to do with the ad for which it was later used.

Apologies to everybody else for this diversion--I realize what I was saying here was clear to nearly all of you the first time.

It was clear Aqua and I happen to agree with your opinion of that song. Not schlock at all. Anyone who thinks so needs to turn their speakers up the next time they hear it

You know what I mean, Nech, or at least I think you do.

Yes, I do, and if you read my latest postings elsewhere, you will see what I mean.

Done being a Page apologist. So much piled in the "inbox" so little making it to ....

When the second RPAK comes out before anything else, I will put my Les Paul back into standard tuning and just pack it away for my beneficiaries.

Yes, I do, and if you read my latest postings elsewhere, you will see what I mean.

Done being a Page apologist. So much piled in the "inbox" so little making it to ....

When the second RPAK comes out before anything else, I will put my Les Paul back into standard tuning and just pack it away for my beneficiaries.

You never know what rober might be planning though even if he does do something again with her thats his choice, but i mean that still doesnt mean we wont do anything with zep. I think after a nice little up coming brake he'll have alot of time to think things out.

But i would still much rather a zep tour then another rpak tour by far.

QUOTE (SteveAJones @ Sep 30 2008, 02:17 AM)

Last time I checked the "three J's" (how irritating that moniker is) have accomplished sweet fuck all as a unit. It simply remains to be seen.

Hey man what happened to all that " Jimmy Page's return to the guitar" positive hype you espoused earlier? Page has nothing to prove and he'll play and record when he chooses to. Les Paul didn't touch his guitar for over ten years at one point. When he did reapply himself to his axe he came out smoking and hasn't stopped since. And he's in his nineties. Jeff Beck put out no new material between 1989-1999 and he's still slamming. It 'd be great to see Jimmy doing it again but I'm not downing out the guy if it's not in my time frame of expectation.

Thanks Steve for mentioning this.

And I've got this here.

"A friend of mine who played guitar in my previous group used to call (the wailing) the 'primal scream'. He gave this to me the other day (a Jimmy Page t-shirt); he's trying to get me back in that other band. He won't be with me now, but I do - I went to see him very recently, and I thought he was spectacular. I was so proud of him. With an emphasis on the 'him', he was - in all the years I was in that other band, you know, I was never able to actually stand and watch him, or actually concentrate on what he was doing. There were times when he wasn't very good, and there were times when I wasn't very good, and we got by. But he knew I was there last Saturday night <smile>, and he really let me know exactly what he does and he did it with such style, it was great. <faraway look in eyes> I mean, if ever there was a modern-day Wagner who could play the guitar, the master of mood. <'Big Log' begins playing in the background - "should I rest for a while at th side'> And the master of charade as well, you know, I mean ...<wipes away tear> I mean, he's an old tease, but he's great."

Robert Plant in a television interview, describing seeing Jimmy Page

with The Firm in Birmingham, England on 18 May 1985.

Wow, thanks for sharing that.

It explains a bit to me... like, how someone can prefer, say, T-Bone Burnett on guitar to Jimmy Page on guitar. I know, I know, the Plant Brigade will be here soon to say I'm slaggin' Robert, but I'm not. I've just never understood how you can hear what Page is capable of and then say.... erh... nah. Nothing much there to work with. Let's replace him... :blink:

I've thought for a long time that Plant had the hardest job in show business, standing up to that guitar playing, as well as to that rhythm section. Apparently he did it by not paying close attention! B)

Ah well... if he finally got it in 1985, that's good.

(Psst... he's a tease until you give in, then, by god, he's the real deal.)

It explains a bit to me... like, how someone can prefer, say, T-Bone Burnett on guitar to Jimmy Page on guitar. I know, I know, the Plant Brigade will be here soon to say I'm slaggin' Robert, but I'm not. I've just never understood how you can hear what Page is capable of and then say.... erh... nah. Nothing much there to work with. Let's replace him... :blink:

I've thought for a long time that Plant had the hardest job in show business, standing up to that guitar playing, as well as to that rhythm section. Apparently he did it by not paying close attention! B)

(Please don't assume I'm arguing with you or defending Plant - it's just my opinion) I wouldn't compare T Bone to Page either because it's apples and oranges. Same with any guitarist Robert has worked with. The thing is, Robert never went looking to "replace" Jimmy or the rhythm section because the style of music he was doing on his own was so different and he sought out musicians who would support that.

Hey lady, why can't you just see or you just don't want to speak it out that they indeed respect and love each other? Even though it's said that they are not getting along that well these days, I always think they DO understand and care about each other more than anyone else. Yes we're all fans, fans as someone standing outside of the band, right?

And I don't think Robert is working with T-Bone because he prefers his guitar playing than Jimmy. They are just so...different, two styles too far away from each other to compare, IMHO.

Hilarious! So in your previous post you're slagging Robert for not making a statement immediately and in this one^ you're suggesting he takes his time before making comments!

Fantastic!

Thank you!

Here's the point I was making, I'll try making it again: he (rather testily, I thought)expressed annoyance and frustration that people kept being interested in Led Zeppelin, and that interest naturally increased as he approached the end of his current project.

But, he brought that on himself by not ending speculation either immediately, or at any time during the past 10 months.

I'm not slagging him for remaining silent, I'm slagging him for being disingenously upset that his own silence was somehow frustrating and annoying to him. (Coincidentally, now that his tour is ending, record sales are falling, and it no longer behooved him to remain coy on the subject of Led Zeppelin... he's no longer silent.)

Perhaps he could have taken a few minutes (or heck, 10 months!) to think about how he was going to approach disappointing James Page, John Paul Jones, Jason Bonham and millions of fans. Complaining about how annoyed and frustrated HE is was not the most gracious way of going about that, maybe?

He might have tried, say, "after serious thought and consideration, I have decided to take two years' hiatus. I wish my colleagues in Led Zeppelin the best in the world, and much success in their future endeavors together, but I will not be joining them in the studio or on tour for the foreseeable future [or ever, if that's how he feels]. I will be signing my 1/4 veto power over to Jimmy so that I no longer stand in the way of my colleagues being able to proceed with Zeppelin-related projects, which I am no longer interested it. Thank you."

Hey, I'd have been happy to be his fucking publicist, this shit isn't that hard, honestly.

'Course, he hardly needs one now.

Ah well, I guess the harmony between us was too good to last, SunChild. ;)

But this is just my opinion--Robert "got it" from Day One, it didn't take him till 1985. But in any band, you concentrate on what you're doing, you don't have time to focus on what everybody else is doing 100%. Just like Bonzo said that when Jason sat in on drums during the Knebworth soundcheck, that's the first time he ever saw the band. You can't be inside it and outside it at the same time! But Bonzo "got it", too.

I'd agree with glicine, too, btw.

Archived