Religilous

zooma

I just saw the new movie with Bill Maher and loved it. I think it's about time that someone shows just how backward organized religion really is. This is a very funny movie and raises important questions, especially in the USA where the religious crazy's have alot of influence and power.

I just saw the new movie with Bill Maher and loved it. I think it's about time that someone shows just how backward organized religion really is. This is a very funny movie and raises important questions, especially in the USA where the religious crazy's have alot of influence and power.

Can't wait to see it. And I'd also like to add that it's a beautiful thing seeing the "Moral Majority" go down in flames :D of their own creation. Look what they've done to this country. They've made a mockery of the United States with their sanctimonious stupidity. Happy trails, sickos :wave:

Can't wait to see it. And I'd also like to add that it's a beautiful thing seeing the "Moral Majority" go down in flames :D of their own creation. Look what they've done to this country. They've made a mockery of the United States with their sanctimonious stupidity. Happy trails, sickos :wave:

LOL...

I am a proud atheist and agree that religion in Amercia and the rest of the world is the root of much evil.

I love Bill Maher but doubt i will get a chance to see this movie before it hits pay per view.

Off topic slightly, i really want to see the new movie "W", :)

Don't be so quick to dismiss them. The evangelicals are very influential in America. They vote as a huge block and have a stranglehold on the Republican party in America. Hence Sarah Palin who was put on the presidential ticket to appease these crazy's. The party of Lincoln and Barry Goldwater has sold itself out and have only themselves to blame for letting them in. Ron Paul was the only true alternative to this mess and he was not even taken seriously by the moronic people that America has as a majority. We vote for who makes the best speeches and tell us what we want to hear.

LOL...

I am a proud atheist and agree that religion in Amercia and the rest of the world is the root of much evil.

I love Bill Maher but doubt i will get a chance to see this movie before it hits pay per view.

Off topic slightly, i really want to see the new movie "W", :)

Same here,

same here,

and same here.

:D

Bill Maher gleefully degrades and demeans people who don't ascribe to his philosophy. I think I'm pretty safe in assuming that's what he does in his movie. In other words, I would rather watch every Ed Wood movie ever made back to back than any hateful screed Maher could produce.

I want to see it, because anytime I can watch the Religious Right get their shit pushed in, I will. Hell, I'll watch it twice. I've had it up to my eyeballs with these hypocrites who on one hand decry the Islamic faith and demand we end the theocracy of the Middle East, yet on the other want to turn the United States into a Christian theocracy called JesusLand: The Theme Park. Apparently religion influencing laws is only okay when it's Christians doing it and no one else. There is no end to their willingness to exploit honest God-fearing people for the sake of turning this country into a fundamentalist, backwater joke. These are also people who will believe any and all spurious lies they hear about anyone, including Barack Obama. Case in point:

I was at the grocery store yesterday doing my shopping. I have an Obama/Biden pin on my purse, but it's small and only really noticeable if you're right up on top of me in line or something. When I was waiting to get rung up, this woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder and remarked about my pin. I said yes, I am voting for Obama in November. She looked at me and said "how can you vote for a Muslim n-----r?" I said he's not a Muslim and he's not a n-----r, and I'd appreciate it if you kept your bigotry to yourself. So in the true spirit of Christ (and she said she was a Christian shortly thereafter), she called me a "n-----r lover" told me I'd burn in hell and then followed it up by saying she hoped someone "cleanses" the White House if he wins.

Now I know this woman is not representative of Christianity as a whole. But she is representative of Fundamentalist shitheads who are taking over not only the Republican party, but the image of Christianity OTHER people around the world have. And that must end.

Don't be so quick to dismiss them. The evangelicals are very influential in America. They vote as a huge block and have a stranglehold on the Republican party in America. Hence Sarah Palin who was put on the presidential ticket to appease these crazy's.

Barrack Obama is an evangelical Chrisitain if I'm not mistaken. And so is Jimmy Carter for that matter.

What makes you think evangelicals are "crazy?" Do you even know what an evangelical is or are you just spouting your bigotry because you think you are right?

Bill Maher gleefully degrades and demeans people who don't ascribe to his philosophy. I think I'm pretty safe in assuming that's what he does in his movie. In other words, I would rather watch every Ed Wood movie ever made back to back than any hateful screed Maher could produce.

I don't think he demeans people at all in the movie. His philosophy about God and things concerning, is one of I don't know so how can you. He does not claim to have any answers, just questions people who are confident they do. Nothing hateful about that at all. He points out rightly that this country has people in charge of the government who subscribe very deeply to a fundamentalist point of view and how out of place and scary that is. See the movie and judge it with an open mind before you dismiss it.

Barrack Obama is an evangelical Chrisitain if I'm not mistaken. And so is Jimmy Carter for that matter.

What makes you think evangelicals are "crazy?" Do you even know what an evangelical is or are you just spouting your bigotry because you think you are right?

I use the word crazy when maybe I should have used irrational instead. I do know what an evangelical is and interact with many of them regularly. I hold no ill will toward them as people. I just find their ideas bizzare and I don't like having their ideas being made into laws forced upon us when they are in a position of power. True Jimmy Carter is one of them but he was one of the few who believed in separation of church and state.

I think its very sad that people are brained washed to think if they do not follow God they will go to Hell. I do however feel if it makes someone happy to believe in something that isn't real I.E God then thats fine if it helps them get through life in Good Times and bad Times (DAH DAH), thrn ok but just stop preaching to others...as Brian said" we are all individuals, you don't need to follow anyone"

Most troubles in the world are caused by religion or something to do with religion !!!!

I want to see it, because anytime I can watch the Religious Right get their shit pushed in, I will. Hell, I'll watch it twice. I've had it up to my eyeballs with these hypocrites who on one hand decry the Islamic faith and demand we end the theocracy of the Middle East, yet on the other want to turn the United States into a Christian theocracy called JesusLand: The Theme Park. Apparently religion influencing laws is only okay when it's Christians doing it and no one else. There is no end to their willingness to exploit honest God-fearing people for the sake of turning this country into a fundamentalist, backwater joke. These are also people who will believe any and all spurious lies they hear about anyone, including Barack Obama. Case in point:

I was at the grocery store yesterday doing my shopping. I have an Obama/Biden pin on my purse, but it's small and only really noticeable if you're right up on top of me in line or something. When I was waiting to get rung up, this woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder and remarked about my pin. I said yes, I am voting for Obama in November. She looked at me and said "how can you vote for a Muslim n-----r?" I said he's not a Muslim and he's not a n-----r, and I'd appreciate it if you kept your bigotry to yourself. So in the true spirit of Christ (and she said she was a Christian shortly thereafter), she called me a "n-----r lover" told me I'd burn in hell and then followed it up by saying she hoped someone "cleanses" the White House if he wins.

Now I know this woman is not representative of Christianity as a whole. But she is representative of Fundamentalist shitheads who are taking over not only the Republican party, but the image of Christianity OTHER people around the world have. And that must end.

Good for you for putting that racist in her place!! See this is what pisses me off when some people going around calling themselves a "Christian", but can have so much evil and bigotry inside them, it is downright scary!!!! I am religious, but consider myself more spiritual though. I also don't like the "holier than thou types" either, that act like they are better than everyone because they go to church all of the time. My view is that, it is how you treat each other nicely on an everyday basis, not running around trying to preach to people about going to hell if they don't believe in God or go to church every Sunday and then treat them like crap. It just isn't right! BTW, I would like to see this movie though. It sounds very interesting.

Regardless of ones religious or political leanings,I hope you took the opportunity Electrophile,to rip a new orphus for the woman behind you in the checkout line.A new hole might drain some of her bilge.

I think its very sad that people are brained washed to think if they do not follow God they will go to Hell. I do however feel if it makes someone happy to believe in something that isn't real I.E God then thats fine if it helps them get through life in Good Times and bad Times (DAH DAH), thrn ok but just stop preaching to others...as Brian said" we are all individuals, you don't need to follow anyone"

Most troubles in the world are caused by religion or something to do with religion !!!!

agreed.

And I am looking forward to seeing this movie. I love Bill Maher's passion for speaking his mind. I may not always agree with him but a lot of the time, I do.

That's because the moral are a minority.

I am not religeous, I was bought up in a world where i was told that all religeion is a bunch of bullshit.

But even though I don't belive it, I respect it, and i respect everyones beliefs.

I don't respect everyone's beliefs. I don't respect religion that is developed through the abuse of energy. I don't respect religion that births war and hatred. I don't respect the fact that too many people tout party lines without having the sense to investigate for themselves. I don't respect that fact that the pope finds blasphemy in a carving of a frog hanging on a cross yet continues to do nothing to lighten the load of the needy.

Archived