What Are You Reading?

Chicken

I just finished reading Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls . It got me so hooked that I finished it in just a few days, and it was almost 450 pages long! Now I'm reading The Land of Green Plums by Herta Muller, about a group of university friends living in a Communist world. It's not an easy read, but its poetic flow of words and emotional storyline make the book very powerful.

Edited by Zepulon

I just finished Ken Follet's Pillars of the earth and world without end. Both are excellent. I am currently reading John Grisham's The appeal. and it is not very good...might not Finnish it. Not a lot of good coming out of the Grisham camp these days I'm afraid IMO.

I just finished Ken Follet's Pillars of the earth and world without end. Both are excellent. I am currently reading John Grisham's The appeal. and it is not very good...might not Finnish it. Not a lot of good coming out of the Grisham camp these days I'm afraid IMO.

I am a John Grishman fan but The Appeal was suppose to go back to his original writings, e.g., the Firm. I saw an interview with John Grisham on MSNBC on Thursday. Maybe story will pick up near the end. Thanks for the critique.

It's David Gilmour. The problem was, Roger's ego was starting to eclipse the music. I don't know if you've seen The Wall (the tour, not the movie) but it was so overblown and starting with Animals on forward the other three members of the band were marginalized to the point where they weren't contributing to the music at all. Hell, Waters fired Rick Wright before The Wall tour even started. The Final Cut was basically a Roger Waters solo album.

I don't blame the others for being pissed off at him. Frankly, I'd rather see David Gilmour and his touring band than anything Roger Waters is doing, even if Waters did write all the songs.

It's David Gilmour. The problem was, Roger's ego was starting to eclipse the music. I don't know if you've seen The Wall (the tour, not the movie) but it was so overblown and starting with Animals on forward the other three members of the band were marginalized to the point where they weren't contributing to the music at all. Hell, Waters fired Rick Wright before The Wall tour even started. The Final Cut was basically a Roger Waters solo album.

I don't blame the others for being pissed off at him. Frankly, I'd rather see David Gilmour and his touring band than anything Roger Waters is doing, even if Waters did write all the songs.

I have heard David speak about the Wall tour and he said it just got to be ridiculous. Sounded to me like he and Roger had vastly different ideas on the direction of the band. Roger got into these conceptual albums and David wasn't really into it. I'm sure ego was also a huge part of their demise.

I have heard David speak about the Wall tour and he said it just got to be ridiculous. Sounded to me like he and Roger had vastly different ideas on the direction of the band. Roger got into these conceptual albums and David wasn't really into it. I'm sure ego was also a huge part of their demise.

Egos are always part of the reason a band breaks up, unless there's extenuating circumstances, like for instance Led Zeppelin. They weren't going on without Bonzo, so that was that.

There's a documentary called Pink Floyd: Behind The Wall and it goes into great detail about how the tour was crafted, from the actual "bricks" used on stage to the puppets and the graphic imagery (the fucking flowers, the marching hammers, etc,.) I think when David said it was ridiculous, that was him being nice.

• 2 weeks later...
oh, it seems that Twilight's everywhere. it also seems that I'm the only person who haven't read or seen it :huh:

I haven't read them. I was given the second book by my aunt and uncle for Christmas. I hadn't even expressed a desire to read them or see the film, so where my aunt got the idea from to buy it for me, I'll never know - I'm 23, not 15. And because she bought me the second one, I couldn't read it without needing to go out and buy the first one, which was a bit annoying. And I still haven't read them (yes, I did buy the first one in the end <_< ) - if only because Meyer's used the most beautiful literary man (Jane Eyre's Edward Rochester :wub: ) and turned him into an angsty teenage vampire - what the frig?

I currently have two books on the go - Marianne Faithfull's Memories, Dreams and Reflections and Pamela Des Barres' Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart. Once those are done with I'm gonna read Charlotte Bronte's Villette and Morgana Welch's Hollywood Diaries.