Led Zeppelin and Metallica Bonnaroo 2008?

Recently, several articles have appeared claiming that Led Zep and Metallica are to be headliners at the Bonnaroo Fesitival in Manchester, Ten. Here is one of the articles:

Rock ‘n’ roll wouldn’t be rock ‘n’ roll without the occasional juicy rumor or urban legend—in today’s case, that Led Zeppelin, who are reuniting to play a special gig in London on Dec. 10, have supposedly signed on to play at Bonnaroo 2008. And while we are generally loathe to print anonymously-spread rumors, this particular one at least has what’s usually a reliable provenance, and, factually speaking, might have more legs than most.

This morning in the Lefsetz Letter music biz opinion/tipsheet an email to the Lefsetz mailbag dated Nov. 30 and with the sender’s address blanked out read thusly:

"Zeppelin just confirmed for Bonnaroo. They can't officially announce until after the London gig so pass it on! Also Metallica is confirmed on the bill too!"

Stranger things have happened, so watch this space for updates, confirmations or denials. Meanwhile, you can check out our previous Led Zeppelin coverage about the band touring/not touring.

What does everyone think about this? Do you believe it?

I don't know, I would love to believe it. But the rumors are flowing like crazy (which had to be expected).

They way rehearsals are going and the recent interviews with JP and JPJ there has to be more coming.

why would zep appear on stage with such a daft band ?

ill give by gibson les paul away if metallica even take their instruments out of their cases within a 10 mile radius of zep.

i cant think music as one dimensional as the kind metallica play, just speaking my mind........had the misfortune to see metallica live in the early 90's and their sound/noise/music, call it what you will, sounded like pneaumatic drill.

whatever next ? appearing on stage with van halen or black sabbath ?

anything but a "donington" style set up,

should zep decide to do a festival, im sure they'll do one where their is a varied range of music,not bloody metallica et al.

I have to agree with you. I hate Metallica and I think that there music is one demonsional. Led Zeppelin were always about going into cottages in the mountains to write songs and things of that nature. Zeppelin's songs have meaning and depth and Metallica's are just plain crap. I would love to see Zeppelin at a big festival or something (anything) but I pray to God that Metallica is not there too.

Why all the Metallica bashing? They were one of the pioneering thrash metal bands. They are one of my favourite bands and I don't think their music is one dimensional. IF this is true, who cares if you have to sit through Metallica to see Zeppelin, I would sit through 50 cent to see Zeppelin.

Why all the Metallica bashing? They were one of the pioneering thrash metal bands. They are one of my favourite bands and I don't think their music is one dimensional. IF this is true, who cares if you have to sit through Metallica to see Zeppelin, I would sit through 50 cent to see Zeppelin.

I wouldn't care who else played, hell, an OOMPAH or polka band, as long as ZEPPELIN did too!

B)

If...the current reunion /-led zep toured....i would think they should'nt play at -bonnaroo. I just don't think it would be the gig to play, its too big and too festivalish, almost gets not about the music. The best way for people to appreciate -led zeppelin 07 would be at regular venues imo. Unless -page/jones/plant want to play alongside a bunch of other acts and get recorded in a historical way, with bonarroo cds etc. ? Anyway, i've been there at 90,000 and wouldnt even think of going at 150-200 thousand because of.....

I got an e-mail from Artist Direct or something this week claiming that Ian Astbury had spilled the beans about The Cult being given the nod as support for an upcoming tour for "a certain band" (I'm paraphrasing). He apparently wasn't supposed to talk about it yet but did anyway.

So, IF Bonnaroo happens, then maybe Astbury was actually making a bit of sense for once.

Ha rap sucks way way worse than metallica.

Not all rap sucks, its like any genre. Yes most of the mainstream stuff like 50 cent does indeed suck, but look at bands like Maroon 5, they think of themselves as rock and they totally suck.

Before you totally dismiss a whole genre listen to some of the underground/old school rap.

I have seen Metallica twice, they are not bad. I would sit through Eminem, Britney and even

50 cent to see Zeppelin :D:D

"Zeppelin just confirmed for Bonnaroo. They can't officially announce until after the London gig so pass it on! Also Metallica is confirmed on the bill too!"

"so pass it on!" :D ....ya right! oh ya and by the way i'll be performing to, between the two sets. pass it on.

Give me a break, obviously designed to put pressure on the band and management team, but I seriously doubt this rumour. Sounds more like a chain letter.

Location of Bonnaroo on Mapquest

Admin has "Evening Fall of Day" as his signature on the Bonaroo info forum welcome email.

Bonaroo forum line-up rumors has lots of entries like this:

<Id say there is no chance of My Bloody Valentine at Roo. Coachella id say will be a definite however.

I really think Pearl Jam and Led Zeppelin are going to be the headliners this year. Everyday more evidence points to Zeppelin. I am really afraid of what this might do to tickets. Prolly just paranoid.>

Can't find anything substantive as of yet.

1. Recent interviews make it clear that whilst JP & JPJ would be up for more activity, RP seemingly isn't and that no tour has been agreed on.

2. Even if they did, they could play any stadium they want and be sure to sell out. They have no need to play festivals, be it this one, Glastonbury, Reading or any other.

to be fair... i think if zeppelin are going to do more shows after the o2... it will be festivals or other events like this.

i think they want to keep away from going "on tour" and this way they could just go play, and then go home. end of. if they wanna play a festival they can soft of thing, when the time suits them.

What LZ have to gain from this is exposure to a different audience, and exposure to a festival atmosphere. Some rock shows are best when they're in the guise of a party. The Who looks healthy at gigs like these.

The rumor is credible. It gives them an excuse to play again as a one-off without them being the headliners. Also, with all the bluegrass emphasis, and Plant in the middle of touring with Kraus, they could do an acoustic set.

Nice call! Maybe even a guest appearance by Allison Kraus herself!

to be fair... i think if zeppelin are going to do more shows after the o2... it will be festivals or other events like this.

i think they want to keep away from going "on tour" and this way they could just go play, and then go home. end of. if they wanna play a festival they can soft of thing, when the time suits them.

Definitely would suit a more relaxed appearance schedule.

These kinds of things are probably the only sized venue they could possibly play under normal ticket selling circumstances... and even then, the festival would be overrun...

I just hope they play Fuji Rock! ... ;):P .... June, huh?.... doubt I'll be stateside then.

Archived