The Who?

neil68

Since I was a teen in the eighties, I have been asked "You love drums? You love guitars? Er, you got curly hair. So, why don't you like The Who?"

Seriously, why should I?

I don't like Daltry's voice.

I don't like Townsends guitar 'power chord' sound.

And as talented as Keith was, I don't like gymnastic drummers.

Your thoughts please, cos I do not understand why the Zep and the Who get compared with each other (apart from the loudness battle thing )

I was a big Who fan up untill Keith Moon passed away. Was really into their early stuff and of course Live At Leeds and Who's Next. Gotta say though that I was never big on Tommy or Quadraphenia.

There's no denying though that their influence on the rock music scene was huge and as a live act, not many were better.

Personally, I LOVE the Who. They are just awesome. For me it's another what's not to love thing. Daltrey has a brilliant voice. Keith was awesome too. Townsend is a pretty cool guy too, as well of John Entwhistle (sp?), he was an amazing bassist. I think the Who are fantastic, but that doesn't mean you have to also

Personally, I LOVE the Who. They are just awesome. For me it's another what's not to love thing. Daltrey has a brilliant voice. Keith was awesome too. Townsend is a pretty cool guy too, as well of John Entwhistle (sp?), he was an amazing bassist. I think the Who are fantastic, but that doesn't mean you have to also

It's Entwistle, but other than that I'm completely with you. Just like any other band, they're not for anybody. You shouldn't feel compelled to like them just because they are "one of the big ones".

Since I was a teen in the eighties, I have been asked "You love drums? You love guitars? Er, you got curly hair. So, why don't you like The Who?"

Why would having curly hair have anything to do with liking the Who (or any band for that matter)?

Seriously, why should I?

If you don't like 'em you don't like 'em. They're not for everybody.

Your thoughts please, cos I do not understand why the Zep and the Who get compared with each other (apart from the loudness battle thing )

They had a "loudness battle" going on? If so, that's a new one on me. The main similarity I see is they both had one vocalist, one lead guitarist, a bass player and a drummer. Sure, lots of bands fit that same mold but not that many with as high of a profile as the Who and Zeppelin. As far as their sound I don't see where they sound all that similar. Then again, I've never seen them compared all that much either other than they were both big during roughly the same period of time and they both hailed from the U.K.

I can see that. Makes alot more sense than to say, 'Hey you skinhead, you should like the Who !!'.

I bet your hair was kinda long too, similar to Daltrey's.

Yeah man, if you got long curly hair you should like at them hair metal bands too. It's called profiling. :lol:

poison_80sbighair.JPG

It'd help if you were a bit limpwristed and light in your loafers too.

The main similarity I see is they both had one vocalist, one lead guitarist, a bass player and a drummer. Sure, lots of bands fit that same mold but not that many with as high of a profile as the Who and Zeppelin. As far as their sound I don't see where they sound all that similar. Then again, I've never seen them compared all that much either other than they were both big during roughly the same period of time and they both hailed from the U.K.

That's about it. I guess you could say they both had awesome "rhythm sections" - but the calibar of these musicians is far above that type of general description. I find nothing else compareable, particularly the within the lead instrumentals or lyrical tone that is set.

Who and Zep are examples of two bands within the same genre that totally had their own unique sounds without any real overlap. All the great classic rock bands had their own ecosystems, so to speak. Zep, Who, Stones, Sabbath, Purple, AC/DC. Kind of the periodic table of elements.

Zep & the Who are 2 totally different bands but I love them both for different reasons.

The big thing for myself that sets them apart is that Townshends lyrics are as much of a driving force as the music coming from the band members. He's a very angst driven introspective lyricist and to the point, similar to Roger Waters in a sense, & fans of both the Who & Floyd like that almost storytelling narrative combined with the music each band provided.

With Zeppelin, well I couldnt even tell you the lyrics to most of my favorite Zep songs. Not that theyre bad or anything but I could relate to a Who song like "The Real Me" or Floyds "Us & Them" more than I could "Kashmir" for example. Id rather listen to "Kashmir" over the two as a sound experience, but it doesnt speak to me like the other two songs I just named.

No reason to feel guilty or look for answers for not liking some big name rock band. There are several I am not fond of, I'll see your Who and raise you a Pink Floyd. Sometimes I come around later. For years I didn't like Skynyrd and then one day it clicked for me. Likewise there are bands I used to like that I can't stand now, like The Doors.

I love the Doors! All music isn't for everyone. It's totally okay to not like a band. I dislike the Rolling Stones, but I can't stand Ted Nugent. I won't be around anyone who is playing his music. I detest it. Then there's what he said about Jimmy. Jimmy Page has it all over Ted Nugent, heck I think my dog could play better than Ted Nugent. I could probably teach it more chords than Ted Nugent knew existed. :soapbox: Okay, I'm done now. Those weren't nice things to say, but I had to say them.

Edited by lzfan715

No reason to feel guilty or look for answers for not liking some big name rock band. There are several I am not fond of, I'll see your Who and raise you a Pink Floyd. Sometimes I come around later. For years I didn't like Skynyrd and then one day it clicked for me. Likewise there are bands I used to like that I can't stand now, like The Doors.

I know exactly what you mean. I always liked Johnny Cash but never owned any of his records. Back in the early 90s my nephew started to get into him and I suddenly found myself listening to Cash in a whole new light. Next thing you know I started picking up a few greatest hits compilations from the budget racks and then just couldn't get enough of his music. I grew up around his tunes thanks to my Dad and my uncle but it wasn't until years later that I became a full blown fan. That's the cool thing about music, there's always some artist (old or new) just waiting to be discovered and there's no predicting if or when it will happen.

... there's always some artist (old or new) just waiting to be discovered and there's no predicting if or when it will happen.

...or genre of music. I remember advising a friend, many years ago, that if he ever caught me buying jazz records he was to shoot me. Fortunately, he has yet to act upon my ill-advised guidelines.

RB

Then again, I've never seen them compared all that much either other than they were both big during roughly the same period of time and they both hailed from the U.K.

then again, if it weren't for two members of The Who, we may have had Whoopee Cushion, instead of Led Zeppelin. Think about it?

Oh yeah, plus Jimmy tried putting a group together with Moon and Ox with Jeff Beck.

Things happen for a reason.

But I agree with you on the sound thing. Very different.

• 1 year later...

Seriously, why should I?

I never understood why either, other than the fact that each band had four members and the same instrumental setup.

Seeing as this is a Zeppelin website though, I'll not post as to which band I always personally preferred by light years over the other one and why. It wouldn't go over very well.

You like what you like, or not..........music is a personal thing.

• 11 months later...

I love the Doors! All music isn't for everyone. It's totally okay to not like a band. I dislike the Rolling Stones, but I can't stand Ted Nugent. I won't be around anyone who is playing his music. I detest it. Then there's what he said about Jimmy. Jimmy Page has it all over Ted Nugent, heck I think my dog could play better than Ted Nugent. I could probably teach it more chords than Ted Nugent knew existed. :soapbox: Okay, I'm done now. Those weren't nice things to say, but I had to say them.

I'm on the same page with you here.....

Edited by Rock Historian