Thank You live

badgeholder

After talking about this song in other threads, I had to do a 'Thank You' shootout. The nominees I listened to (so far - tell me if I missed a good one) are:

LA '70 (Blueberry Hill)

LA '72

LA '73 (6-3-73)

BBC '71

Orlando '71

NYC '70

Southampton '73

Osaka 9-24-71

They're all excellent, this was a great song live. To me, the winner has to be LA, 6-3-73. It is magical

After talking about this song in other threads, I had to do a 'Thank You' shootout. The nominees I listened to (so far - tell me if I missed a good one) are:

LA '70 (Blueberry Hill)

LA '72

LA '73 (6-3-73)

BBC '71

Orlando '71

NYC '70

Southampton '73

Osaka 9-24-71

They're all excellent, this was a great song live. To me, the winner has to be LA, 6-3-73. It is magical

I will never get why people like that version.

I will never get why people like that version.

I don't prefer it either, its very slow, comparable to what Stairway became in 1980. I like the solo so much because of the Fury it has which I don't think is well represented in this version.

My fav versions are:

1. 08-31-71 Orland

09-04-70 Blueberry Hill

03-07-70 Intimdator

BBC

Ive not given too many others a great listen, I need to do LA 72 yet and as you noted 06-03-73 too.

Please state your favorite version.

Orlando's very good, but LA '73 is hands down the best. Here's hoping a board tape of that show somehow pops up in the next few years, because that entire show is orgasmic...culminating in a stratospheric Thank You.

Oh well, your loss.

That Southampton version is awesome. Not to mention in the best quality of all the different versions. Band is on fire there. What's not to like?

IMO thank you has to have a strong good plant voice, and a fantastic solo by jimmy. And that version doesn't have either two. plus Orlando is a better sounding version then Southampton i think.

LA '70 (Blueberry Hill)

LA '72

LA '73 (6-3-73)

BBC '71

Orlando '71

NYC '70

Southampton '73

Osaka 9-24-71

Tokyo 24-9-71 or Osaka 29-9-71, which version are you talking about?

Also surprised no one has mentioned LA 8-21-71, among the all time greats for sure but quite overlooked, probably sound quality.......

Oh well, your loss.

That Southampton version is awesome. Not to mention in the best quality of all the different versions. Band is on fire there. What's not to like?

I totally agree, with all your points!!!

Rock, looks like you I are in the minority on this one...

LA '70 (Blueberry Hill)

LA '72

LA '73 (6-3-73)

BBC '71

Orlando '71

NYC '70

Southampton '73

Osaka 9-24-71

Although i adore the show itself, 6.3.73. Thankyou sounds ramshackle and under rehearsed to my ears.

Blueberry hill is my fave. SO epic!

Great thread by the way, gonna have to dig some more versions out and compare :D

I gotta say the bbc is probably page's best but i also really like

orlando 71, LA 72 and montreal 72. The montreal 72 boot is hard to come by but

that version of thank you has some of page's best playing ever

orlando 71 and bbc have page and bonham playing incredibly together. It's almost like they can read each other's minds

theres too many great versions ha!

The bbc version, bonham has some explosive drums and page has great solo. the only other version i have heard, mentioned here, is the blueberry hill. i have never heard a 73 version.

I have not heard a 73 version either but I've always wanted to know if the NYC MSG 7/73 version was professionally recorded and filmed during the making of TSRTS.

I was really hoping this would be included as part of the remastered TSRTS.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

So I just tried the 06/03/73 version many suggested. And its very unique, longer instrumental parts in different places, and I usually would like that in most Zeppelin songs, but again I'm just expecting Page to just go off when his solo comes up, and in 73 versions he does not, its just slower/longer. Some parts it sounds like he might be going off but I think its just an effect.

Very few songs I prefer younger versions of, but I just know this will always be one.

To me the earlier versions of Thank You (70,71) solo are similar to the MSG 73' No Quater solo, very fast and furious. I love that solo, but this is far from one of my favorite versions of No Quarter as I prefer the longer (even slower at times) versions, something that fits a song like No Quarter well, but for me the same does not apply to Thank You, I want that fast/furious solo.

I used to have this issue with other songs where the first live version I loved I had trouble getting over, would not accept any other version as better as I was just hoping for it to be about exactly the same only longer in this or that part. But I moved on, so I'm hoping I can do the same with these other versions of Thank You, enjoy them for what they are and stop trying to compare them.

Archived