Am I an oddity among Zep fans?

I've been a Zeppelin fan for about 4 years now, and I've recently finished obtaining all of their albums. There isn't a song I don't like. However, I feel somewhat odd, because Houses of the Holy is my least favorite album. I even like CODA more, and I know a lot of people view CODA as an album most people buy just to have a complete collection. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way about HotH and CODA?

I've been a Zeppelin fan for about 4 years now, and I've recently finished obtaining all of their albums. There isn't a song I don't like. However, I feel somewhat odd, because Houses of the Holy is my least favorite album. I even like CODA more, and I know a lot of people view CODA as an album most people buy just to have a complete collection. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way about HotH and CODA?

I feel the same as you! my least favorite albums is houses of the holy and i even like CODA more.

I dont like Dyer Maker and Dancing Days.

Coda was an album of extaras and out takes, its not really an "album" of material that was supposed to go together. Granted love Darlene and a few others, but never heard of anyone liking it better than Houses? Over the hills, The Crunge, No quarter, I mean those are killer songs. Hey, to each their own....

I think it all comes down to personal taste in the end - I think there are some outstanding features on CODA that add to the Zeppelin catalogue to great effect

I love HOTH - in my opinion the 3 opening tracks represent the peak of Zeppelin's sheer brilliance and diversity

Your feelings for Houses of The Holy are the same feelings I have for Presence. Some great songs (Achilles Last Stand, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Hots On For Nowhere), but the rest I can easily skip.

As I mentioned before, Presence is my favorite Zep album. I can't really explain what it is about it that causes me to feel that way because the album I am most connected to is the 4th - mainly because it was the first Zep album and songs I heard but it isn't really my favorite. Really I love them all for different reasons. Coda I'm probably the least drawn to - as someone above said, it's a collection of songs rather than an "album" but I do like what's on there and at the time, I was so happy to have anything new by them.

What the fuck - there must be something wrong with you. Just go get psychiatric help at the first opportunity. :D

Well, not really. Reception of music is always a personal, subjective matter to such a degree that it's amazing you can still have meaningful conversations about it - it's not like preference in ice cream flavors... But there is a lot of subjectivity involved in the appreciation of it.

For my part, I think Houses is one of their very best albums, even despite the fact that D'yer Mak'er and The Crunge are not really in the same league as the other songs. I mean really, try to compare them with No Quarter, The Rain Song or The Song Remains The Same - it's a whole different level of accomplishment. But overall I think it's an incredibly strong album - not many in rock that are better. Mick Jagger once said that if you have four good songs on a rock album, you have a good rock album, and more than 95% are not even close to that. I don't think he was wrong, and I am counting six GREAT songs on Houses. :D

Whereas Coda is a collection of odd bits left over from sessions through the years. So why am I not outraged? :lol: Simply because, as I see it, you are probably just more receptive to the strengths of the material included on Coda, and I only really like about half of that material. I do love some of the songs there, though - Poor Tom became one of my favorites right when I heard it for the first time in, when was that? December 1982? something like that. And part of the reason why I so love Houses is also memories associated with the album. Again, that's purely subjective.

.......I think CODA has an exceptional appeal on it's own, it is refreshing to listen to CODA after listening to all their major studio work to appreciate the Band........

I do relate to your oddity....I can listen to Dazed and Confused many times but not Kashmir.......

Your feelings for Houses of The Holy are the same feelings I have for Presence. Some great songs (Achilles Last Stand, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Hots On For Nowhere), but the rest I can easily skip.

I like Houses of The Holy and Presence better than Physical Graffiti! Now that is a rarity! ;)

I feel that same way about Houses of the Holy.

People call it their best effort... but Presence kicks its ass, and is so underrated it's not even funny.

Tea For One, 1976's SIBLY... should have been played live.

For Your Life? Show me a solo that is more strung out and emotional on any Zeppelin album... there's only a few. You can practically taste the blow that went into that song.

Achilles Last Stand... are you fucking kidding me right now? I practically jizz in my pants every 30 seconds during this thing.

Nobody's Fault But Mine. N-N N-N-N N-N N-NOOOOOOthing bad about this song.

Candy Store Rock just drips sex... Oh baby baby dontchya wanna man-a-like me you ask?... I'm not gay, but Robert, after hearing this, I definitely want man-a-like you.

For a relatively short album like this to pack so much heat is amazing. There is absolutely NO filler, a'la Physical Graffiti... and compare tracks to, say, anything off Houses of the Holy... none even come close... much more emotion and soul in Presence than their first couple albums too...

Page himself has even said that Presence was the closest they got to creating a masterpiece.

I feel that same way about Houses of the Holy.

People call it their best effort... but Presence kicks its ass, and is so underrated it's not even funny.

Tea For One, 1976's SIBLY... should have been played live.

For Your Life? Show me a solo that is more strung out and emotional on any Zeppelin album... there's only a few. You can practically taste the blow that went into that song.

Achilles Last Stand... are you fucking kidding me right now? I practically jizz in my pants every 30 seconds during this thing.

Nobody's Fault But Mine. N-N N-N-N N-N N-NOOOOOOthing bad about this song.

Candy Store Rock just drips sex... Oh baby baby dontchya wanna man-a-like me you ask?... I'm not gay, but Robert, after hearing this, I definitely want man-a-like you.

For a relatively short album like this to pack so much heat is amazing. There is absolutely NO filler, a'la Physical Graffiti... and compare tracks to, say, anything off Houses of the Holy... none even come close... much more emotion and soul in Presence than their first couple albums too...

Page himself has even said that Presence was the closest they got to creating a masterpiece.

I adore Presence, too--but (and I know I've said this before , sorry) NOTHING on PG is filler.

I adore Presence, too--but (and I know I've said this before , sorry) NOTHING on PG is filler.

i was just gonna say that!

i love all their albums, i really cant choose a fave.

as for coda, wearing and tearing is just about the rockiest song of all time, i just love it!

I've been listening to CODA for nearly 30 years now and it grows on you.

I look fondly on it as a series of snapshots taken of their recording career.

I love it, warts and all!

Agreed! Though I liked it at the time but I think I came to appreciate it more as the years have gone by.

As for Physical Graffiti - I absolutely LOVE the album and can't find one song I'd have taken off or felt it's filler. Really I don't think any of the albums have filler. I may be drawn to some songs more than others but the songs work together on each of their albums IMO.

You are most certainly a freak! No one has the right to prefer CODA over HOTH. Who do you think you are? No, just joking. You can't help the music you like, and alot of it depends on when and what part of your life you experienced the music at.

Wonderful responses all. Like Otto said, opinions can be influenced by proximity to the record's release. ie. I was 19 when HOTH was released so it was my "meaningful" musical ingestion period.

But that being said, compositionally, experimentally and performance wise HOTH stands as a watershed. It was where they shook off the "heavy", showcased the swing as their own, took epic for a ride, and exuded the JOY they had making music. It was not as sexy in the raw animal sense, it was more maturely romantic in many ways. It was awesome to grow up with.

It was also a MAJOR direction turn for Zep. Each record had it's twist on the journey, but this caught more people by surprise than any other. For me it still is my fave. It still makes me happy when I hear it.

Great insight from y'all. I love hearing the "how" of someone 40 years after the fact absorbs an experience that I was front and center for. It sort of validates the experience. Like it really WAS that good!

To each his own!

I have read many comments on here from people who can't stand the "Immigrant Song" - which happens to be one of my favorites! On the other hand, the majority LOVE "Achillees Last Stand" and I skip that song everytime! For me it's a song that sounds repetitious and goes nowhere!

Thank God I'm in the majority for "Physical Graffiti" - easily one of THE greatest rock records of all time!!!

Wow, great replies all. I always love hearing stories about how music touches people, because music is such an integral part of my life. We all have different experiences with the same music, so it's almost like looking at the same thing from different vantage points.

Well said and quite true! That's why no one thinks it's odd how you feel about Houses of the Holy :D The same music touches people differently and there's no right or wrong about it!

Hey man....whereas HOTH has become one of my favorites over the years, Zep III doesn't appeal to me as much and I am currently starting to love Presence. It all matters on taste or the ear you have developed. I go through phases i think with some of the albums. Zeppelin is just great all around. :thumbsup:

Archived