Happy Fourth of July My American Friends :)

Knebby

It's unfortunate how this thread is turning out. I don't think it was ever intended to be a 'who won the war' thread.

Nevertheless, I should like to wish a Happy Independence Day holiday to all our US members here. I hope you all got a day off work, and the sun is shining for you. :peace:

I do not know what country you reside in, but the whole idea of "July 4" and "Independence Day" in America is the fact that the original 13 colonies rebelled against the harsh rule, oppression and taxes that was imposed on by the British Empire.

So, to some degree, the whole aspect and meaning of July 4th, 1776, is the fact the America's founding Fathers refused to be subjugated and forced to live under the dominance (at the time) of the British empire.

So a "who won the war" quote is very relevant in this case. If the British had won the "Revolutionary" war, then the United States of America would not exist as I know and Love from the years of 1777 to the present day.

It seems like Destiny that the United States of America is the way (and shape) that it is today, geographically. From sea to shining sea (actually from ocean to ocean).

Neither me, nor anyone else on this site needs a history lesson from you. I studied the history of empire at Honours level at university. This thread was started by a friend of mine for us to send good wishes to US site members as a mark of respect for one of their National Holidays - nothing more. If you take a look at the first post on this thread, you will see the spirit in which the thread was started.

I do not know what country you reside in, but the whole idea of "July 4" and "Independence Day" in America is the fact that the original 13 colonies rebelled against the harsh rule, oppression and taxes that was imposed on by the British Empire.

So, to some degree, the whole aspect and meaning of July 4th, 1776, is the fact the America's founding Fathers refused to be subjugated and forced to live under the dominance (at the time) of the British empire.

So a "who won the war" quote is very relevant in this case. If the British had won the "Revolutionary" war, then the United States of America would not exist as I know and Love from the years of 1777 to the present day.

It seems like Destiny that the United States of America is the way (and shape) that it is today, geographically. From sea to shining sea (actually from ocean to ocean).

We had a nice parade in town which featured Edward Saylor as grand marshall. He is one of the few survivors of the Doolittle raid on Tokyo. A B-25 Mitchell also did a flyover. What a great sound from those engines. I'll post some pics soon. :^)

Yah, a police officers job isn't difficult enough. They need to put up with a puke bag spoiled rotten little shit. Friend of yours, I presume? Or perhaps you raised this little d-bag. Nice time for a selfie video.

Loser.

I don't need to look at another video in your library. I know everything I need to know.

I was slow on the trigger but Lt. Col. Edward Saylor is in the passenger seat. He was Grand Marshall at our parade and is one of the very few surviving members of the Doolittle raid on Tokyo in 1942. They will put a plaque in his honor by the library. This B-25 Mitchell the crews flew also did a flyover. I had to crop it pretty tight.

post-503-0-45248100-1373152982_thumb.jpg

post-503-0-51506900-1373153003_thumb.jpg

the founding fathers were terrorists in a sense so what are you celebrating? you are basically saying be thankful for a political system you have no interaction with other than a vote and ignore what the Whitehouse/downing st get up to?? when you protest, you are condemned

we see the police state America is turning into, you're not far behind the UK, the land of incompetence, paranoia and cctv up your arsehole

Explain how the Founding Fathers were terrorists? And please, go slow. I'm an unintelligent American who knows nothing about my country's history and cannot comprehend large words and phrases of great in depth analysis. I want to understand you thoroughly.

Edited by zeppy668

its not me Zeppy, its history

Imagine living under the heel of an oppressive foreign power. These foreigners tell you they know what's best for you and they enforce their will through the use of the massive army they have occupying your homeland.

This is the situation the forefathers faced in the mid-to-late 1700s. British authorities, far removed from the American colonies, placed military garrisons throughout the territory and passed their own laws as to what was best for the colonies without any representation from the colonists themselves. In retaliation, the colonists started to boycott British goods. When this didn't get the attention of British lawmakers, the colonists destroyed and stole British goods and property. The lawmakers simply made more Draconian rules and put more soldiers on the ground to try and keep order. Again the colonists reacted. This time they dragged British officials and Loyalists out of their homes and beat them or killed them in the streets. By this time, their path was clear. The British would not listen, so the colonists stole British munitions and began a violent uprising. England had the most powerful army and navy in the world, and confident in their own omnipotence, they attempted to pacify the colonies with the iron fist of military might. Responding to fire with fire, the colonists killed British officials and Loyalists, engaging the British military in a devastating guerilla war. Standing armies of British soldiers and mercenaries fought against an elusive rebel army made up of American nationalists armed with weapons that were either stolen from the British or donated by the French. Britain's once-mighty army was stretched thin and the insurgents gained the support of the French army, which finally helped them expel the British from the colonies after years of bloody conflict

anyway, my point wasnt to have a go at the US people, more the government and governments worldwide

if i didn't like it so much, i wouldn't be moving to LA in a years time nor be married to an American!! see you on the strip

Edited by henrybonzo

its not me Zeppy, its history

Imagine living under the heel of an oppressive foreign power. These foreigners tell you they know what's best for you and they enforce their will through the use of the massive army they have occupying your homeland.

This is the situation the forefathers faced in the mid-to-late 1700s. British authorities, far removed from the American colonies, placed military garrisons throughout the territory and passed their own laws as to what was best for the colonies without any representation from the colonists themselves. In retaliation, the colonists started to boycott British goods. When this didn't get the attention of British lawmakers, the colonists destroyed and stole British goods and property. The lawmakers simply made more Draconian rules and put more soldiers on the ground to try and keep order. Again the colonists reacted. This time they dragged British officials and Loyalists out of their homes and beat them or killed them in the streets. By this time, their path was clear. The British would not listen, so the colonists stole British munitions and began a violent uprising. England had the most powerful army and navy in the world, and confident in their own omnipotence, they attempted to pacify the colonies with the iron fist of military might. Responding to fire with fire, the colonists killed British officials and Loyalists, engaging the British military in a devastating guerilla war. Standing armies of British soldiers and mercenaries fought against an elusive rebel army made up of American nationalists armed with weapons that were either stolen from the British or donated by the French. Britain's once-mighty army was stretched thin and the insurgents gained the support of the French army, which finally helped them expel the British from the colonies after years of bloody conflict

anyway, my point wasnt to have a go at the US people, more the government and governments worldwide

if i didn't like it so much, i wouldn't be moving to LA in a years time nor be married to an American!! see you on the strip

Thanks for the lesson.

You failed to answer my question. I was waiting for you to mention how only 1/3 of colonists actually favored independence while 1/3 remained Loyalists and 1/3 remained neutral and did not get involved at all. Or the fact that independence wasn't favored by any faction of the population until the late spring of 1776. The biggest misconception history has had on the events leading to the Declaration of Independence is that it was inevitable. The only people who actually showed signs they wanted 'complete' independence from the Crown before the mid 1770s were Samuel Adams and the Sons of Liberty, but even that didn't take place until after the Boston 'Massacre' of 1770. And for the record, the Declaration of Independence as we know it actually had nothing to do with the colony's voting on separation from Great Britain. That happened on June 7, 1776 when Richard Henry Lee, on behalf of the Virginia delegation, submitted three resolutions which stated, "these United colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent states, that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain is, and ought to be totally dissolved." This was voted on July 2, 1776 and passed. The document we know as the Declaration of Independence serves the purpose of proclaiming America's legitimacy to the world, not the actual separation from Great Britain.

It's amazing what you can discover in books, not on the intrawebs. :bubble:

Happy belated 4th to everyone!

• 5 years later...

Any big plans for any Americans - or non Americans for that matter - tomorrow?  Any good barbecue recipes - cough Chef Free - being used? 

We’re just getting together with family and friends for fun on the water, then cooking out, and enjoying the Disney fireworks - which will only be a handful of miles away.  

Orlando City game tonight, 4th tomorrow, family in town Friday, Daytona summer race Saturday, then the women’s final match Sunday morning. Looking forward to it!

Happy Birthday USA!! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Any big plans for any Americans - or non Americans for that matter - tomorrow?  Any good barbecue recipes - cough Chef Free - being used? 

We’re just getting together with family and friends for fun on the water, then cooking out, and enjoying the Disney fireworks - which will only be a handful of miles away.  

Orlando City game tonight, 4th tomorrow, family in town Friday, Daytona summer race Saturday, then the women’s final match Sunday morning. Looking forward to it!

Happy Birthday USA!! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

As it's Thursday tomorrow, I am playing golf as I do every week. BBQ recipes? Get ya Weber book out.  :D Have a great 4th man. As always best to you and yours.

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

As it's Thursday tomorrow, I am playing golf as I do every week. BBQ recipes? Get ya Weber book out.  :D Have a great 4th man. As always best to you and yours.

I’ve got recipes...just fishing for anything that sounds like worth taking a chance on. ;) :D 

Just finished feeding a bottle of vodka to a watermelon. Hope it is tasty come tomorrow afternoon! 

Edited by Walter

12 minutes ago, Walter said:

I’ve got recipes...just fishing for anything that sounds like worth taking a chance on. ;) :D 

Just finished feeding a bottle of vodka to a watermelon. Hope it is tasty come tomorrow afternoon! 

I have never tried that.  The equivalent of jello shots I guess if you are into that type of thing.  I have to pretty much stick with Guinness now.  Sometimes I wonder if we would have been better off if Paul Revere had kept his mouth shut, let the British obliterate us.  NY would be a better place.  

I was in the 1000 Islands last week, with my daughters and new grand daughter, I used to fish the St Lawrence as we had a cottage there for 37 years.  I guess Goby's and other parasites have hurt the fishing some.  I hope they fix this. The water levels are at a record high.  House boats under.  Boats not launched.

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

I will be sadly watching American democracy fading away as for the first time in our nations history, a President is having a military parade. The only countries which have ever had military parades have been dictatorships. We have children dying in cages and a leader who admires and cohorts with brutal dictators. Even Nixon would be appalled.

The American experiment is slipping away by degrees. Sorry, but I am now ashamed of my country.

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I will be sadly watching American democracy fading away as for the first time in our nations history, a President is having a military parade. The only countries which have ever had military parades have been dictatorships. We have children dying in cages and a leader who admires and cohorts with brutal dictators. Even Nixon would be appalled.

The American experiment is slipping away by degrees. Sorry, but I am now ashamed of my country.

+1

Edited by luvlz2

2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I feel you mate. The view from abroad is incredibly worrying. The rise of authoritarian type nationalism championed by China and Russia is marching stronger and faster. We (the free world) need you USA. We need the best of your past strong and righteous leadership. Not perfect by any measure, but mostly adhering to a system of values and norms that have now all but dissolved - and better at leadership than the EU or anyone else has ever been.

The road back for the US will be DECADES long - and not even possible without structural reforms that seem impossible given the wholesale descent into absolute tribalism. The schisms that have opened up there are horrible. It's like two different realities/countries.

Cmon guys, wake up before it's too late for us ALL.