Happy Fourth of July My American Friends :)

Knebby

Why should I say it's my opinion when it's obviously a fact?

Better yet - Why should you say it's a fact when it's obviously just your opinion?

Thanks Knebby, for starting this thread. I'll be celebrating with friends and family on the 4th as is custom here in the good old USA. Cheers to all!! :beer:

Thank you Knebby! I plan on doing what I always do on the 4th...WATCH WIMBLEDON!!!

Strawberry wafffles and orange juice and coffee and Wimbledon...it comes on EARLY in the morning here in California...6am!

Venus vs. Serena Saturday and Federer vs. Roddick Sunday...I'll be cheering for Federer over the Yank Roddick(sorry he beat Britain's best hope Andy Murray today Knebby).

Then later on the 4th, we're going to see John Fogerty at the Hollywood Bowl w/the orchestra and firework show.

Cheers! Ta!

Me too, except the year I was watching Springsteen at Wembley (1985) :D .

My money's on Federer this year too, though hopefully it'll be a good match. I think Sampras is going to be watching in California with you, and on TV by phone?

And there can be few better ways to end a 4th than with Fogerty!

Oh, and thanks for the congrats, jabe and FoD--I only just realized I missed page 2 of the thread. :slapface:

Edited by Aquamarine

The holiday is meaningless. No one really "gets it". It's just an excuse for some fireworks.

If Americans really understood and appreciated the significance of the events behind this holiday, they certainly wouldn't allow the bullshit that is happening to this country now.

There is no independence. We are just becoming an incompetent, freedomless, nanny state.

If only the founding fathers could see us now.

I get your point Drunk, which is why I posted the 'Declaration of Independece' for all to read and consider it's contents. It was a bold move for our founding fathers to decide to go against their comfort zones and "declare" that which would certainly lead to war with one of the most powerful nations on earth since the Roman Empire. But I do think that some of us do get it, especially anyone such as yourself who knows what it means to carry a rifle into battle for the cause of freedom and independece from tyranny.

Yeah, I'm sure some people are thinking "there goes Del again having to put a political spin on another fun holiday." But if we have forgotten what Independece means, and why it was so important to our founding fathers and every soldier who died to win that independece and to assure it for each of us over the last 233 years; then we really are not any better off than a bunch of drones in a nanny state.

I have no problem with patriotic parades, fireworks and hotdogs on the grill. But if we don't take a moment to savor our freedom on days like today, then we might as well dig up old King George and tell him that he was right and we were wrong to ever think that we should be free.

That being said, I hope eveyone has a happy and safe fourth of July, and hopefully they will take at least one moment out of their day to be thankful and thoughtful about the responsibilites of Independence.

Thank you everyone who is not American for the best wishes for our national holiday.

And Happy Fourth of July to all my fellow American friends.

I will be taking my son to the airport tomorrow for his trip to England.

He should be taking off from JFK about the time of the New York City fireworks.

Should be a great view.

(Then I will be worrying all night until his plane lands in London.)

So no barbeques or beer for me tomorrow.

My husband and other son will be working.

Yes, a happy 4th.

No work and getting paid.

What a truly happy day.

The menu.

Fresh from the charcoal and mesquite fired grill.

A two inch thick porterhouse steak rare, roasted corn and chicken legs.

Fresh from the `fridge.

Ice cold beer, mustard potato salad, whole milk and a yummy garden salad with Italian dressing

Dessert

Jolly Rancher popsicles, strawberry shortcake, sliced tomatos from the garden and watermelon both with salt.

Even the pets get a treat, hot dogs.

Once on the 3rd, I bought a fifth for the 4th and didn`t wake up until the 6th.

Stars And Stripes Forever

Edited by L 7

• 3 years later...

It's still a day away...but I'm still trying to figure out my plans for the 4th of July beyond Breakfast at Wimbledon.

Previous years I have usually gone to the Hollywood Bowl for their concert and fireworks show. Last year was Barry Manilow and I've seen John Fogerty, Tony Bennett, Buddy Guy and Johnny Cash among others in years prior.

So, who did the Bowl schedule for this year's 4th of July week? That boring, whitebread milquetoast Josh Groban. Barf! No thanks.

Looks like I'll be going elsewhere for the 4th...or maybe just stay in and watch "The Great Escape" again. Those who have seen the movie will know why it's a great movie to watch on Independence Day.

Up the Rebels! Down the British!

Happy Birthday to the United States of America!!! 237 years and hundreds of more years to come.

I raise a Budweiser and give a toast to the Greatest and most Powerful Country this Planet will ever know.

Cheers, from a Proud and Loyal American!!!

Happy Birthday to the United States of America!!! 237 years and hundreds of more years to come.

I raise a Budweiser and give a toast to the Greatest and most Powerful Country this Planet will ever know.

Cheers, from a Proud and Loyal American!!!

Glad you used the word "will". I think us Brits have a far greater legacy and we are slightly older

Glad you used the word "will". I think us Brits have a far greater legacy and we are slightly older

America doesn't have the type of history that other countries do because we're relatively new. However, the revolution that took place over three hundred years ago in America was one of the greatest events in human history. The ideas of self-government and human freedoms that drove the movement changed the world for the better. That's what we celebrate. Honestly, I believe that people should celebrate who aren't American. You might not care about America as a country but the philosophy behind the revolution has spread and made better the lives of people all over the world. That's something to celebrate. :drinks:

I will agree that you Brits have a great legacy and are obviously older than the USA, but I believe if it were not for America's intervention in World War II, you and your countrymen might be a German speaking nation and under the rule of the Third Reich.

(I am a huge reader of WWII history and I think I know what I am saying. Whether you want to admit or acknowledge this, the United States of America had a very substantial and Major role in the Allies winning the War. The United States was facing a two front war. Japan to the East and Germany and Italy to the West. I am proud to say that there were NO battles on American soil during World War II.)

I am not looking to start another war here, I just wanted to wish My Country a very Happy Birthday.

I respect the (old) British Empire. Without it, the world would never have the Great gift of having Led Zeppelin and the Music these Four Musicians created.

Edited to add:

After the end of the War, it was the United States of America that helped to pay for and rebuild much of the carnage and devastation in England and Europe that was inflicted by Hitler and his Nazi war machine. I believe that all this combined with every thing I mentioned makes the United States of America the Greatest Nation on Earth (past or present). No other Country would care to spend Trillions of Dollars on other countries, even though some of these countries were once enemies of the United States of America.

Happy Birthday to the United States of America!!! Without the birth of My Great Nation, this world We live in would be filled with chaos, anarchy and upheaval.

Edited by kingzoso