JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

Battle of Evermore and Black Country Woman gave me chills when I saw them! :D

I enjoyed it almost as much as Page/Crowes, which ironically I witnessed at the same theater. Then there's that awesome When the Levee Breaks JPJ did on his tour awhile back. And Jason's In the Name of My Father rocked pretty hard. But Robert! For shame! Charlatan!!! :slapface:

Have to agree with Battle of Evermore, and Please Read The Letter wasn't to shabby either. Just couldn't groove to most of it, that's all.

I thoroughly enjoyed Page/Crowes at the Greek. I was there for the second show and it was fantastic! What show did you attend Ev? Heard Jimmy was absolutely on fire for third and final show at the Greek.

Have to agree with Battle of Evermore, and Please Read The Letter wasn't to shabby either. Just couldn't groove to most of it, that's all.

I thoroughly enjoyed Page/Crowes at the Greek. I was there for the second show and it was fantastic! What show did you attend Ev? Heard Jimmy was absolutely on fire for third and final show at the Greek.

Not sure which night it falls in the run. Jimmy definitely kicked ass though! :D

And yes, that's Section A Row A Center! Lucked out on that seat for sure! :beer:

pagecrowestik.jpg

So am I, now. :rolleyes: And now it seems poor Jonesy is being dissed too, given that the focus HAD been on how interesting his new band sounded, not on the problems with anybody else's band. ;)

Comparing the two projects, which in turn takes the focus off Jones, which then indirectly results in a diss on Jones? :rolleyes: A bit of a stretch, at least we agree that Jonesy project is interesting. :thumbsup: Time to put it to bed.... :wave:

Comparing the two projects, which in turn takes the focus off Jones, which then indirectly results in a diss on Jones? :rolleyes: A bit of a stretch, at least we agree that Jonesy project is interesting. :thumbsup: Time to put it to bed.... :wave:

My point was simply that it was doing Jonesy a disservice to turn a thread about his new project into another subtle opportunity to bash Plant. Not a stretch at all. ;)

Night night! :wave:

Talking of supergroups, Cream have topped a new poll.

Readers’ Rock List: Supergroups

The readers named Eric Clapton “King of the Supergroups” in our Weekend Rock List, as the guitar god appeared in three of the bands listed in our Supergroups Rock List, including the readers’ Number One pick, Cream. The “Sunshine of Your Love” trio beat out side projects founded by Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine members, Guns n’ Roses and Stone Temple Pilots members and Phish and Primus rockers. Check out the Top 15 below:

1. Cream

2. Velvet Revolver

3. Audioslave

4. Raconteurs

5. Traveling Wilburys

6. Temple of the Dog

7. Derek & The Dominos

8. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

9. Oysterhead

10. Blind Faith

11. The Dead Weather

12. Bad Company

13. Chickenfoot

14. Foo Fighters

15. Mad Season

rollingstone.com

Supergroup seems pushing it a bit for some of those bands, who only have one well-known member. (And I'll be honest, one or two I've never heard of.) Whereas having Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker in the same band--now that WAS a supergroup! Ditto Blind Faith (though even then only Family fans knew who Ric Grech was). and CSN&Y. But the term seems used pretty loosely these days. Same with superstar.

Supergroup seems pushing it a bit for some of those bands, who only have one well-known member. (And I'll be honest, one or two I've never heard of.) Whereas having Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker in the same band--now that WAS a supergroup! Ditto Blind Faith (though even then only Family fans knew who Ric Grech was). and CSN&Y. But the term seems used pretty loosely these days. Same with superstar.

:yesnod: Pretty much any artist that has ever had a side project is labeled as creating the next big 'supergroup'. Yet, its success never succeeds the artist's original band.

That 14 seconds sounds very promising. Looking so forward to the album tour and anything else. Hopefully, we'll get full clips shortly. I'm sure this is partt of the plan. Making it mysterious, by giving us little tastes of it first. To give it a great big build up!

Im glad that JPJ is finally getting some love on this site rather than it being Jimmy & Robert stuff all the time. Hell Jason gets written about more on this site & he only played 2 official gigs with them.

Having said that I have a feeling this is going to be the best post Zeppelin music from any of the former members, & I couldnt be happier that its coming from JPJ.

They must be doing a big festival though, these gigs seem to be small warm ups. Why would they come all the way to Europe to just play 1 show. They are building up to a big gig which will launch them. Pukkelpop surely or Reading or the french one.

There will be additional dates announced.

Judging from the Them Crooked Vultures forum there will also be a headline show in London, rumoured to be Islington on August 28th. So possibly ticket details will be announced this Friday as that's when concert tickets usually go on sale here.

I'm not holding out much hope getting tickets though, it will be as hard as getting O2 tickets was I think, although I would travel to London to get tickets. Two members of my two favourite bands on one stage would be too awsome to miss.

Them Crooked Vultures

Metro in Chicago

August 10, 2009

20090809.jpg

HIGHTOWER & JONES BLOG

Them Crooked Vultures (Metro - August 10, 2009)

Three words: Them Crooked Vultures. Five additional words: are the greatest band ever. On August 10, the Metro was sold out, the house lights went down, the audence screamed and Them Crooked Vultures made their debut. To call it the greatest debut ever is like calling Kareem Abdul-Jabbar a mere center or Bruce Lee a simple martial artist. To call it promising would severely downplay the talent of the band's members and the songs that spanned their 77 minute debut.

Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones took the stage with nothing to lose and nothing really to prove other than to simply rock and they did exactly that. Accompanied by an Alain Johannes of Eleven, Them Crooked Vultures performed a set of unheard, unreleased material that left the remants and sounds of their more familiar bands at home. Instead, they brought forth a sound that rocked, was funky, bluesy and, overall, nothing short of jaw dropping.

"Last Breath Before Giving In" gave the audience a small breather with its awe-inspiring, jazz-influenced instrumental section with Homme soloing over a changing tempo provided by Jones and Grohl. "Gunmen" provided one of the two funky numbers of the night with a pseudo-funk rhythm section combining with two rock guitars and ending with Jones on keyboards. "Mind Eraser And Night Chaser" was a full on rock assault which included synths and the use of a Korg Kaossilator.

The overall performance was tighter than one would expect from a band performing all new material and for their first live performance. Grohl sang backup for several songs all while smiling and pounding the drums until you could feel the hits of the bass and tom resonating through the floor. Jones shifted from four to eight string basses, keyboards, Korg Kaossilators and, yes, a keytar, which received one of the biggest applauses from the audience. Homme led the band with his trademark solos and voice as well as dropping the guitar for a number to slink around on the stage and display his dance moves. There are bands who dream of sounding as perfect as this, even during a rehearsal. Given the pedigree and achievements of it's members, it would be hard to imagine them performing anything less than perfect, in their songs or as a band.

Them Crooked Vultures isn't just another supergroup. Based off tonight alone, they're a group that could singlehandly bring Rock back to the top of the Billboard charts. It's Rock minus trends, images, fake emotions and anyone picking up guitars and claiming that they rock. Iggy Pop recently called today's rock a bunch of "idiot thugs with guitars" and while that statement may be true in certain areas of Rock, it definitely wasn't at the Metro this morning. Instead, you were introduced to three decades of great musicians and songwriters where Rock's past joined together with Rock's present to form a future that is worth looking forward to. If this performance and these songs are any indicator as to what to expect from their debut album, then it has already been handed "Album Of The Year."

Them Crooked Vultures

Metro in Chicago

August 10 2009

www.stereogum.com 8/10/09

Them Crooked Vultures @ Metro, Chicago 8/9/09

After three days of extreme sweat and fatigue from running between stages in Grant Park for Lollapalooza (post TK), ordinarily there'd be zero appeal to a midnight Sunday show in an overcapacity rock club without a working air conditioner. But there was nothing ordinary about last night's gig at the 1,100-person Metro in Wrigleyville. And it went even deeper than the trio of marquee rock stars at the center of it all: with record leaks having killed the "event" of the album release, and YouTube and music blogs (ahem) making it impossible to resist hearing a band's new live songs before they come to your town and present them personally, there's no such thing as a communal listening experience anymore. But this was one time where everyone was in the same boat. Nobody knew what to expect from Them Crooked Vultures, aside from that Dave Grohl/Josh Homme/John Paul Jones lineup that sounded like an alt rock holiday party in-joke gone too far -- not a song's leaked, not a descriptor afloat aside from Dave's 2005 assertion that this group "wouldn't suck." He didn't set the bar high, but hey. He was right.

Before the show the Metro sidewalk was a mob scene, or at least a mob scene for midnight on a Sunday on the heels of a three-day festival with the sort of weather conditions that should have sucked dry these people's wills to live, or wills to see music live. People on the sidewalk joked they wouldn't give up their tickets for anything less than $2,000, although I suspect that wasn't much of a joke at all. Once inside, those same people probably would have paid that amount to get an air conditioner, but no matter: the Metro was a sweatbox, the transferred perspiration just one more thing bonding all those in the room holding essentially a priceless ticket. And out walked Them Crooked Vultures shortly after midnight.

The band: Josh Homme on guitar and lead vocals, Dave Grohl on drums, John Paul Jones on you know what. Plus, for last night's show at least, there was a fourth Crooked Vulture: longtime Homme affiliate Alain Johannes held down rhythm guitar and joined Grohl and Jones on the occasional backing vocal and hollerback harmony. A supergroup of three big names with a lower-profile fourth? Familiar. Last night I called them Monsters Of Rock.

The music was full of big riffs and QOTSA stomp and grit, occasionally proggy segues melding dirty blues rock to a more alt, grungy thump. Grohl may have slipped into his Bonham worship mode on the big beats and bigger fills, or maybe that's just what you hear when half a band's rhythm section happened to be in Led Zeppelin. Josh, for his part, is not Jimmy Page. Nor is he Robert Plant. He's Homme through and through, and in taking vocals and guitars he more than defines the dynamic. So ultimately it was a Homme-led affair that was QOTSAy in its essence with overtures to the other dudes' primary affiliations at the periphery. There were outliers, naturally: "Daffodils" was a spacey, psychedelic epic closing with a John Paul Jones piano outro (and subsequent show-stopping applause), another featured a long jazzy improv with JPJ taking the bass for a walk under a fiery two-guitar solo session that hit sorta like a steroidal Allmans jam.

Songs had titles like "Scumbag Blues," "Caligulove," "Interlude With Ludes," and "Bandoliers." There were something like 14 of them in total I think. There was no encore. It wasn't particularly innovative, and it wasn't always interesting, but that set-closer, "Nobody Loves Me"? Awesome. That's your big-riffed hit right there. Which means we'll probably have it for you soon. And with that many original songs already under their belts, we'll probably have a full record to report on for you soon, too.

In the spirit of an old-school communal listening experience, cameras and the like were forbidden. That said, we'll include a/v footage when it surfaces.

Maybe it's just me, but, I can't seem to get excited about this.

I suppose when I actually get to listen to the whole album and not just a fourteen second soundbite I will hopefully, come to appreciate the collaboration.

Not being greatly into Grohl or Homme I'll reserve my final judgement until then.

I didn't mind the Wembley guest spot, although the cynic in me sees that as an exercise to gain credibility from the "old timers".

I don't doubt for a minute that it was a thrill for Grohl.

I would go see them live out of curiosity, but seeing as there are no plans to tour here in the foreseeable future, I doubt that will happen.

First I'd never have put Homme in the "supergroup category."

And, if they plan a tour they better add some more tunes because that's just not enough for a big ticket price. Hey, it's the economy man, people want their monies worth these days.

That said I would LOVE to see Grohl back on the drums!!!!! :yay:

Oh, c'mon, man! We're getting the first album's worth of original hard rock music from an ex-Zeppelin since 1998's Walking Into Clarksdale.

Yeah mate, I know.

It's just that I listened to the "sample" a few times and it didn't grab me.

Obviously it could have been longer and I'll buy it when it comes out.

Hearing the lyrics (if there are any?), would've helped too.

I guess I'm just being a little cautious.

Le't's just say I'll be very happy to be proven wrong! ;)

And, if they plan a tour they better add some more tunes because that's just not enough for a big ticket price. Hey, it's the economy man, people want their monies worth these days.

They have enough material to do a full-length concert. Tickets to their Chicago gig sold on ebay for an average price of $400 apiece.

Archived