I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Hi all,

Hi Angel,I saw Tropic Thunder,last night out-n-out funny! :D But be warned,if your easily offened,you will be! :o:)

KB

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, based on the plot synopsis & TV commercial, it sounds hilarious. And nah, I'm definitely not easily offended....plan to take my 13 year old who wants to see it too even though it's R-rated.

Rented "disturbia". Overrated movie. Shia leboof is a lame actor. I don't undertand why people went to see this film. Don't understand his appeal. Can't believe girls like that guy. Pass on renting this film.

I saw the first 30-40 minutes of Disturbia and I just wanted to not that there is a Led Zppelin IV reference with the poster on the teens wall....

I don't think Shia is a lame actor.

For what this movie is..... he does okay.

I love that film, i have it on DVD B)

Found it hard to watch and read the subs at the same time though :)

I have no problem with subtitles. I love 'The Bicycle Thief' too (Italian)

Mifune's scene where he was ranting about the farmers being 'hoarding weasles' was great.

(He knew because he was a farmer)

We just watched 'Mr. Bean's Holiday'

:lol:

You know who I friggin' love? Gene Kelly. What a cool guy. I got sick on vacation a couple of weeks ago, so I stayed in the hotel room and watched TCM, which was having a Gene Kelly marathon of sorts. I watched the last half of An American in Paris, all of On the Town, and the first half of Singin' in the Rain (it got really late and I was dying, unfortunately; otherwise I definitely would've finished it - that was the first time I'd ever seen it!).

I REALLY liked what I saw of An American in Paris. I need to rent that, like, tomorrow. Yeah, it's still a little cheesy in places, but there are some parts that totally transcend that and, well, move into the realm of art, in my opinion. It's like the Fantasia of musicals (at least from what I saw). Way cool.

I enjoyed a few parts of Tropic Thunder, but its definitely a guy's movie. I also rented The Fountain, The Darjeeling Limited, and K-19. I was only able to watch about 15 minutes of each before turning them off. I'm aggravated that the video store did not have a policy for movies you don't like. I just feel like I wasted my money thats all.

You should just do what I've done in situations like that, claim that the DVD wouldn't work for you. Most places will just let you rent something of equal value at least.

And I'm avoiding The Djareeling Limited since I'm really not a fan of Wes Anderson, or his hardcore fans for that matter. And The Fountain was a movie that was just too artsy fartsy think-too-much for my liking. I don't like dumb movies, but movies like THAT just grate me after so long. It always seems it's trying to be more than it should/needs to be.

You should just do what I've done in situations like that, claim that the DVD wouldn't work for you. Most places will just let you rent something of equal value at least.

And I'm avoiding The Djareeling Limited since I'm really not a fan of Wes Anderson, or his hardcore fans for that matter. And The Fountain was a movie that was just too artsy fartsy think-too-much for my liking. I don't like dumb movies, but movies like THAT just grate me after so long. It always seems it's trying to be more than it should/needs to be.

That would be possible if they had not put the each video through a cleaning machine before giving it to me. The lure with the darjeeling limited was the stars in it. I've become wary of movies that have all these big stars in it now because I know there really isn't any substantial plot involved. I was also disappointed in The Black Dahlia and Gone Baby gone . It was the same thing. The big name actors were the bait to bring you in. Then you are left feeling like a sucker.

The Djarleeing Limited actually contained the typical cast from every Wes Anderson movie. To like his movies you just need a real peculiar taste I suppose. It's the quirkiness that everyone seems to fawn over, but I find it's mostly just humdrum trying too hard to be smart and funny than anything. I really don't like that guy or his movies, sorry.

I've totally avoided The Black Dahlia because I've heard nothing good about it. Gone Baby Gone I thought was alright, the subject of the movie was better than the movie itself I thought, kind of like 13 Tzameti(French film).

The latest movie I watched was Atlantis The Lost Empire. The cartoon. My nephews insisted I watch it with them, and it was actually sub par for a cartoon I thought.

Saw "Righteous Kill", the new Pacino/DeNiro flick. It was God-awful. Directed by the same guy who did that warm heaping pile "88 Minutes". The best thing you can say about RK is that it's not as bad as "88 Minutes", with a plot slightly less asinine but just as predictable and characters just as wooden. Why, Al, why?

On the other hand, also saw "Disgrace" at TIFF, based on J.M. Coetzee's novel. If you liked the book, you'll likely enjoy the movie. Capably weaves personal relationships in the midst of complicated changing dynamics of post-apartheid South Africa. John Malkovich is very good as the aloof, disconnected professor who both seeks and shuns intimacy. One thing that struck me was how quiet many scenes were, where you could actually hear people dialing, breathing, washing, etc. It's not the best movie, but that was very refreshing.

Saw "Righteous Kill", the new Pacino/DeNiro flick. It was God-awful. Directed by the same guy who did that warm heaping pile "88 Minutes". The best thing you can say about RK is that it's not as bad as "88 Minutes", with a plot slightly less asinine but just as predictable and characters just as wooden. Why, Al, why?

On the other hand, also saw "Disgrace" at TIFF, based on J.M. Coetzee's novel. If you liked the book, you'll likely enjoy the movie. Capably weaves personal relationships in the midst of complicated changing dynamics of post-apartheid South Africa. John Malkovich is very good as the aloof, disconnected professor who both seeks and shuns intimacy. One thing that struck me was how quiet many scenes were, where you could actually hear people dialing, breathing, washing, etc. It's not the best movie, but that was very refreshing.

Aw man, that is such a bummer about Righteous Kill. I mean, we all knew it would suck (except Messrs. De Niro and Pacino, apparently), but ugh, it's still a bummer. I love the heck out of those two, and I didn't think there was anything in the world that could keep me away from seeing a movie with both of them in it, but here I am, saying that I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. Thanks a lot, Avnet.

Despite that, I am somewhere in the clouds right now as I have been continuing on the path to complete Gene Kelly obsession by watching Anchors Aweigh. You know, there are lots of inanimate objects that, for whatever reason, have sex appeal in their own right, like Ferraris, saxophones, high heels, etc. I never thought of a telephone as one of those things, but holy mother of mercy, do I think so now! Watching Gene do his thang with that phone... Hot. Damn. Yeah, I think I've pretty much made it to the level of "totally obsessed." :goes to take cold shower: