I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

On Turner Classic Movies last weekend:

517Q1H0VSBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hehe that's a good little movie. I saw that not so long ago myself. I'm a big fan of older movies. My preferance actually.

I especially love 1940s and 1950s film noirs.

Exercizing my Netflix account lately...

310 To Yuma- classic

Children of men - ok, depressing sort of everybody dies for the cause movie.

King Of California- nice to see Michael Douglas do something a little bit different, Evan Rachel Wood's character is annoying at times though.

Cloverfield - could have had a bit more impact if not for the Blair Witch style nod. Always nice to see Manhattan destroyed. J/K!

Friends went to see Indiana Jones. Said it is a big letdown and that everyone looked like they were just going through the motions.It's turned me off going to see it.

Edited by spats

You know I saw Ingmar Bergman's 'Persona' the other day, I'd never seen it before because I'm more of a Fellini/Antonioni man, myself, but I was incredibly shocked by Liv Ullman's conversation about sex in that movie! I mean, my god, this film was made in 1965, and here she is talking extremely explicitly about having sex, and orgasming and blow jobs and cocks, it was unbelievable for a 43 year old film...

I mean in 1965, most American sitcoms still refused to show a married couple sleeping in the same bed together!

And yet here's Liv Ullman talking a guy blowing his load...It was more graphic and suggestive than an Andy Warhol film...

In my opinion the movie industry has gone downhill as far as the quality of films and acting in general. They have replaced good acting with super technology and gimicks. In the old days you had to know how to act. If you go to 50 movies you might catch 2 or 3 that are good and one that is great. they are pumping out so much garbage now. And they know there are enough idiots out there that will go like lambs to the slaughter to see it. Not me.

Right on! I'd rather watch Abbott and Costello. I think "It's a Mad, Mad Mad World" was the last funny movie that I saw...

Saw 'Indiana Jones' last night. I was the HUGEST 'Raiders' fan when I was a kid, it was my favorite next to Star Wars. I thought it was alright, there was some cool action, and it was fun to see Indy in action again. But the plot was a bit weak, and many of the action sequences went on too long, and were a bit too outlandish. Indy always got himself out of bad scenarios, but many of the scenes made me think "oh, come on!" But it was worth seeing, I'd give it a 7/10.

Just finished watching the new Indian Jones movie.

I waited patiently for the russian lady to say 'moose and squirrel'

Sadly, she did not

now I want to see the other 3 again

Next movie on the list:

Prince Caspian

Right on! I'd rather watch Abbott and Costello.

Make that Laurel and Hardy and I'm with you.

I think "It's a Mad, Mad Mad World" was the last funny movie that I saw...

Hehe I love that film. Completely wacky!

Indiana Jones.

What I expected and more.

Corny, predictable and a hell of a good ride.

Why people over analyse these type of movies is beyond me.

Enjoy them for what they are, escapism pure and simple.

It was better than most of the shite that comes out of Hollywood.

Could have been a tad longer to develop "Mutt's" character and the ending was good.

In short, loved it.

but I was incredibly shocked by Liv Ullman's conversation about sex in that movie! I mean, my god, this film was made in 1965, and here she is talking extremely explicitly about having sex, and orgasming and blow jobs and cocks,

:blink::blink: are you serious??? I have watched only one movie directed by Bergman, but I don't recall it very much as I was very young. My mum was watching it and all I remember was a long monologue by Liv Ulmann and I couldn't understand what she was talking about. Maybe it was the same movie, who knows.. Even if they talked explicitely, to a 10 year old kid it was like Chinese.... :lol:

but now that you make me think, that must have been the movie! My mum told me so many times to go to bed, because it was a boring movie and not for me! hahhahha :D

but now that you make me think, that must have been the movie! My mum told me so many times to go to bed, because it was a boring movie and not for me! hahhahha :D

I bet you it was ;)

Actually come to think of it, Liv Ullman has long monologues in just about every Bergman movie...

In my opinion the movie industry has gone downhill as far as the quality of films and acting in general. They have replaced good acting with super technology and gimicks. In the old days you had to know how to act. If you go to 50 movies you might catch 2 or 3 that are good and one that is great. they are pumping out so much garbage now. And they know there are enough idiots out there that will go like lambs to the slaughter to see it. Not me.

While I agree to an extent, I don't think it's true across the board. In my case the local theaters tend to play only the huge blockbuster type movies. If you want to see something even remotely off the beaten path you're going to have to travel to another city. The best bet is to wait for everything to come out on DVD as you have a wider variety to choose from. Even then, if the only option you have in your town is Blockbuster, you're still pretty much fucked. I'm not a subscriber (yet) but that's where services like Netflix come in. Small towns just aren't going to take chances on most movies so choices are extremely limited by that.

Just finished watching the new Indian Jones movie.

I waited patiently for the russian lady to say 'moose and squirrel'

Sadly, she did not

now I want to see the other 3 again

Next movie on the list:

Prince Caspian

f44e7256.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Indy 4 last night, such a disappointment.

I thought it wouldn't be too good, but I didn't expect it to be quite that bad.

The first half had promise, then as soon as they introduce that damn alien skull, it was all downhill.

The three waterfalls, the swinging with monkeys, the alien plotline all together=TOTAL SUCKFEST.

:rant:

My boyfriend paid, so I didn't lose any money, but I demand Lucas and Speilberg give me back that 2 1/2 hours of my life.

I was talked into going to Indian Jones. It wasn't horrible. But some of the action scenes were just too unrealistic. If things get too unrealistic it just takes you out of the movie. Some people in the crowd were going "oh come on" because it got to be too much.

Just watched :

The Wild Bunch

The African Queen

I Have Never Forgotten You (Life Of Simon Wiesenthal)

Hell's Angels (1930) (fantastic photography)

Getting ready to watch 'Blood And Sand' with Valentino

B)

the swinging with monkeys,

That's where I lost it in the theatre. I couldn't stop laughing because it was that bad.

But the first half of the movie was classic Indy. But it does seem like Spielberg and Lucas just went with the "Close Encounters" thing and really dropped a turd on the franchise. The best part of the movie was seeing Ford do his thing, which he can still do at 65. But "Last Crusade" is still the superior closer to the series.

And there's talks of another Indy movie...oye. :o

Edited to Add: My personal belief is Spielberg has gone incredibly soft with creativity within the past decade. He still makes solid and sometimes spectacular films, but his overrall creative edge that once captivated movie goers and made you appreciate the filmmaker as someone more than just another movie director has been lost...somewhere between the gazillions of dollars he has and the Dreamworks gig. I think its just a comfort level thing, whereas when he was young with no money, there was no comfort level and he had to be very creative.

Edited by bigstickbonzo