The Black Keys

Led Zep Gurl

In the last few months I have been listening to The Black Keys alot. I was able to download all their albums from torrents and really like them alot. They were on SNL this past Sat. night and on David Letterman Mon night but I missed viewing them via tv but did find their performances online. I know they were in Chicago New Years Eve at the Aaragon but I won't go see groups at that venue. Hard to get to, crappy parking, hot as He** inside during a Chicago winter and the sound sucks too. Hoping they come to St. Louis or Indy sometime in the future. Any other Black Keys fans on here?

Though now they've moved to Nashville . .

I adore the BK, hard to believe this is the first thread about them! But timely, as they seem posed on the brink of becoming big (which in a way is kind of a shame, as those small intimate gigs are the best, but it's what they've wanted all along, so good luck to 'em).

Big fan here. I've seen them once live and jeez can Dan rip on the guitar. I've got all of their albums, and am really into the latest (Brothers). Robert Plant was actually how I got turned on to them, he mentioned their album Rubber Factory in an interview and that he was a fan, so of course I had to investigate. They actually played at the local Arts festival for free last year but I was out of town and missed it. I was glad to see on SNL that Dan shaved his beard, that was godawful.

They're supposed to be guesting on the next ZZ Top record which Rick Rubin is producing but that album has yet to materialize. Just heard on XM's Deep Tracks channel tonight that CSN's new record of cover songs has been held up because Rubin is so busy producing other artists. No hard feelings towards him as they understand his dilemma so they're moving on with a new producer. Perhaps that's been the holdup in regards to the new ZZ Top album as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Keys were on Austin City Limits last night on PBS. Sonic Youth was the first half and then The Black Keys had the other half of the show. If you missed it you watch it online here:

http://video.pbs.org/video/1757512915

They were great! :D

I saw it. They were great!

At the end of the show they were talking on camera and they were saying that they were only paid $10 or $20 for their first gig, and then were not paid at all for their second gig. They thought that this kind of payment was great at the time because their living expenses in Akron, Ohio were so cheap that they felt like they were doing all right.

Edited to say: The drummer was really wailing on the drums! He kept breaking his drumsticks. He really can make a lot of sound on those drums. And it is awesome the full bodied sound that the guitarist gets out of his guitar! No need for more than the two band members. But they really sounded fantastic playing with a full band.

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

I saw it. They were great!

At the end of the show they were talking on camera and they were saying that they were only paid $10 or $20 for their first gig, and then were not paid at all for their second gig. They thought that this kind of payment was great at the time because their living expenses in Akron, Ohio were so cheap that they felt like they were doing all right.

Edited to say: The drummer was really wailing on the drums! He kept breaking his drumsticks. He really can make a lot of sound on those drums. And it is awesome the full bodied sound that the guitarist gets out of his guitar! No need for more than the two band members. But they really sounded fantastic playing with a full band.

They were great. It was cool how it was just of them playing on some songs and then some supporting players for other songs. It is amazing that much sound comes from just a guitar and drums when it's just them two.

I saw the end too when they talked to the camera. They sound like down to earth guys.

Over the weekend I saw a Cadillac commercial with their song "Next Girl" playing in the background. I love that song!

• 1 year later...

Can't remember the last time I've been excited this much about a band.

Totally into them. Honestly, I consider this band to be worthy to carry the Rock and Roll flag onwards, seeing as the industry is full of Nickelback and Lady Gaga shit...

In the 60s, there were dozens of GREAT bands, a lot to look forward to, but nothing could beat The Beatles (pun intended), The 70s - it's Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple Era, 80s - Guns and Roses, Metallica etc, 90s - Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Oasis etc, 2000s - The White Stripes?, 2010 and onwards - THE BLACK KEYS ERA!

I have really high hopes for this band, and I really think they have the potential, talent and charisma for becoming the NIRVANA of our TIME in the sense of making the same impact on world music scene.

And actually it seems that the cycle for 60s\70s fashion has started again! Every year we get bands like:

Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros (that sound like Jefferson Airplane),

Astra (that sound like Pink Floyd meeting ELOY and King Crimson),

Alabama Shakes (Good Ole Vintage Blues-Rock with a soulful Joplin-ish female vocals)

Chris Robinson's Brotherhood (Greatful Dead anyone?)

But The Black Keys? Oh man... Brothers was MESMERIZING! I think it's their best record yet! In it, you'll hear bits of Doors, some early Cream-era Clapton, some very very old school vintage muddy blues Animals style as well as some Motown soul....oh and don't forget T-REX and Garry GLitter inspired GLAM extravaganza!!

The follow-up, EL CAMINO - was great! Not as epic as Brothers IMHO, but none the less, it was GREAT! It was different and that's one more thing I like about The Black Keys. They always try to progress and evolve, they like to experiment but at the same time they stay true to their roots. Although I appreciate and love all of their albums, I would say that their Real Growth and JUMP to succcess centeres around the trilogy of albums and that being

Attack and Release

Brothers

El Camino

Now I know there are people that may say that they've become too POP-ish and shit...I'd say that's bullshit. Every band has to evolve and progress unless they want to be the new fashion of the day for little teenage girls like Justin Bieber and shit...

Overall, if I was to compare The Black Keys to say cinema? I'd say they are almost 100% Quentin Tarantino Style!)))) I don't understand why he didn't take any of their songs as soundtracks for his movies?

Edited by Neon Genesis

Loving this band. Dan is one of the best guitar players out there. I love the raw stripped down style. I played them for a friend and he said they should be "rated M for manly". I liked the older stuff with just guitar and drums better than the more recent discs though.

• 6 months later...

A new member started a thread about The Black Keys, and it was mentioned there's already a thread, so I figured I'd bump this up with my comment that I just purchased my first Black Keys CD this week. Good band.

A new member started a thread about The Black Keys, and it was mentioned there's already a thread, so I figured I'd bump this up with my comment that I just purchased my first Black Keys CD this week. Good band.

Next step: Seeing your first Black Keys concert, where they'll really wow you.

I first heard of the Black Keys after reading an interview with Robert Plant in 2005(?) where he said he had been really digging their new album. The album was Rubber Factory. I was into it from the first note, and it's still my favorite. I like how each of their albums have retained their core sound, but still evolved. I also think it is interesting how they have allowed their music to be used frequently in commercials, tv shows and movies. I know they are making a lot of money by doing this, but it also gets their music out there in the public consciousness which has really helped with their recent popularity. Saw them in 2008 and will be seeing them again in April. Also really liked Dan's work with Dr. John on Locked Down.

• 1 year later...

great topic on the black keys, like planted I found them by accident reading any interview in uncut magazine by R. Plant, with a free cd with 15 tracks chosen by Robert Plant. the black keys track grown so ugly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...