Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
BlackDog71

Favorite Album Closer

Favorite Album Closer  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite album closer?

• How Many More Times (Zep I)
    • Bring It on Home (Zep II)
    • Hats off to (Roy) Harper (Zep III)
    • When The Levee Breaks (IV)
    • The Ocean (Houses of the Holy)
    • Sick Again (Physical Graffiti)
    • Tea for One (Presence)
    • I'm Gonna Crawl (In Through The Out Door)
    • Wearing and Tearing (Coda)

I'm suprised Sick Again doesn't have more votes. I always thought that was a pretty popular tune amongst Zep fans, but apparently I thought wrong.

:mellow:

I picked I'm gonna crawl just cus i feel like that was a perfect way to end it and looking back i feel like it was a good closing song to Led Zeppelin, kind of like the end with the Beatles, lt summed up their emotions at the moment of the recording of the song in my opinion

I chose Bring it on Home 'cause it reminds me of my best holidays, when I didn't have the radio so I used to shut into my dad's car and listen to LZ II every night. What a huge difference between this and Sonny Boy Williamson's version (even if I still like his)! It reminds me of the terrible heat in there, sweat, excitment, and just its wonderful sound...it's such a beautiful image...!

I was thinking about this the other day while I was listening to Led Zeppelin, and it really got me to thinking

even though "Hey Hey What Can I Do" had been released as a B-side to "Immigrant Song", it's an extremely fitting song to put at the end of Coda!

"Good Times Bad Times" just sounds like an amazing opener to Zeppelin as a band, almost sounding like a theme song to a television show (in a way), and having a song like "Hey Hey What Can I Do" at the end of their last studio album just sounds like it's closing the book?

It's kind of like it's the closing credits to an emotional movie, giving you that somber feeling of not wanting it to be over

Anybody have the same thoughts?

[Obviously, I'm talking about the re-release of Coda]

Edited by jayceeporter

It was a toss up between HMMT, Bring it on Home and WTLB...I think those three are equally solid for a closer. Wearing and Tearing has no votes as of yet, wonder why. Hats off to (Roy) Harper would be my last choice.....Acousticly, Gallows Pole would have been a good closer for Zep 3.

Edited by Rock Historian

Ranked:

1.When The Levee Breaks

2.How Many More Times

3.The Ocean

4.Bring It On Home

5.Tea For One

6.I'm Gonna Crawl

7.Sick Again

8.Hats Off To Roy Harper

I went with Levee as well, but HMMT is just so amazing, it sounds like something GNR or Velvet Revolver would do today...it doesn't age. And I love IGC, but since I can only pick ne, it would have to be Levee.

I chose Bring it on Home 'cause it reminds me of my best holidays, when I didn't have the radio so I used to shut into my dad's car and listen to LZ II every night. What a huge difference between this and Sonny Boy Williamson's version (even if I still like his)! It reminds me of the terrible heat in there, sweat, excitment, and just its wonderful sound...it's such a beautiful image...!

When I used to play in a dart league, and we were close or winning in the last round, that's the song I made sure was ready in the jukebox!

Sick Again, just a notch over levee breaks, both are of the main reasons i loved zeppelin for, and both inspired me to play the guitar, condensed awesomeness those two are.

i only voted for i'm gonna crawl because it SOUNDS like the last song Zep ever wrote, it has a hangover Sunday vibe that couldn't of been more fitting

When the levee breaks is just awesome,it's my favorite closer -followed by sick again. pardon any mis-spellings I've been up for 29 hours straight.

Tea for One.

When the Levee Breaks is awesome - I think more so, as a song. But the question was about the song as an album closer.

I think Presence is so high-energy, fast-paced and demonstrates less light/shade in the track listing ( as opposed to within the individual songs). Until Tea for One : an abrupt shift into a quite different level of intensity. Really really powerful effect.

No contest for me: When The Levee Breaks. After an album full of what could be another band's greatest hits comes this loud, pounding, hard blues rocker. It ends the album with a major bang.

I'm Brave For Deleting my vote for Sick again and revoting for Tea for One ... I'm Proud of Myself :)

Sometimes, opinions on Zeppelin songs can change. I know they do for me all the time.