Favorite Album Closer

BlackDog71

Favorite Album Closer  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite album closer?

• How Many More Times (Zep I)
    • Bring It on Home (Zep II)
    • Hats off to (Roy) Harper (Zep III)
    • When The Levee Breaks (IV)
    • The Ocean (Houses of the Holy)
    • Sick Again (Physical Graffiti)
    • Tea for One (Presence)
    • I'm Gonna Crawl (In Through The Out Door)
    • Wearing and Tearing (Coda)

What's everyone's favorite album closer and why? Maybe it's because of these songs is your personal favorite from the band or you just like the way it ties in with the rest of the album. Or you feel the song just brought the album to a fitting close. Or maybe you just like one of these the most.

For me, I chose "When The Levee Breaks" because Bonzo brings the wonderful fourth album to a close with this rockin' track. Nothing more awesome than those drums at the start of the song. I chose both IV songs for both the opening and closing. I know that's cliche but I just think they were placed where they were for a reason. Is IV my favorite album? Who knows. That answer changes day-to-day. I just love both tracks as openers and closers.

Please share with me your pick and reason(s). :thumbsup:

Blackdog71,

I picked "The Ocean" because I got HOTH and IV in 1973/1974 as my intro to the band (other than AM radio). First I bought HOTH.

I remember the record had so much variety on it. I never understood why it seems to be underrated. I love "Dancing Days". :)

And TSRTS, The Rain Song and No Quarter? Just stop, no really how good is that little trio? :D

Back to your question. I recall that as soon as I heard the familiar "la-la-la-la-la, sit 'round singing songs till the night turns into day.....la la la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la (x3) Now I'm singing all my songs to the girl who won my heart....she is only three years old and it's a real fine way to start."

This was my signal to get ready to flip the album over, lol.

I never realized back then it was his daughter whom Robert was singing about at the end!

P.S. I'm doing the lyrics from memory, so blame me if there is a mess-up!.................:) missy

Not that it's the best of songs on this list. But How Many More Times would do it for me. The superb bass of Jonsey is just an excelent closer to a fantastic album.

Oh yea! I second this. That bass gets me groovin' every time. :stereo:

Blackdog71,

I picked "The Ocean" because I got HOTH and IV in 1973/1974 as my intro to the band (other than AM radio). First I bought HOTH.

I remember the record had so much variety on it. I never understood why it seems to be underrated. I love "Dancing Days". :)

And TSRTS, The Rain Song and No Quarter? Just stop, no really how good is that little trio? :D

Back to your question. I recall that as soon as I heard the familiar "la-la-la-la-la, sit 'round singing songs till the night turns into day.....la la la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la (x3) Now I'm singing all my songs to the girl who won my heart....she is only three years old and it's a real fine way to start."

This was my signal to get ready to flip the album over, lol.

I never realized back then it was his daughter whom Robert was singing about at the end!

P.S. I'm doing the lyrics from memory, so blame me if there is a mess-up!.................:) missy

:goodpost:

I chose "I'm Gonna Crawl" purely because I went through a phase of playing it as the last piece of music I played before going off to bed.... I also think it sounds more like closure than HMMT or Levee ..............Last Album (proper) Last Track.

• 3 weeks later...

They went out with a bang on I'm Gonna Crawl. The performance was very powerful.

I have grown to love this song a lot more than I used to. It's such a sad song with powerful lyrics. Melancholy ending to the bands final album.

• 4 weeks later...

I voted for I'm Gonna Crawl too. As much as I could never quite stand ITTOD that particular track was pretty epic and a great album finisher.

I felt like crawling out the door after listening to that album for the first time, still do too.

Great tune though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived