JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00q08q2

Jimmy talks about Travelling Riverside Blues and the Maida Vale session during this 2-part documentary "Jimmy Page and the BBC Sessions" which aired in 2009 on BBC 6Music. The programmes themselves don't seem to be available any more - but the link above also contains links to separate bits of BBC documentation relating to the Zep sessions.

Apologies if the link doesn't work outside the UK - it might not...

http://JohnPeelJPTD.jpg

Thank you as always, PlanetPage. I love this picture he used of London. I love "Traveling Riverside Blues" and I am glad he did an OTD with it included.

Thanks to aen27 & PlanetPage for all of their hard work and contributions to this thread :friends:

I love to do it, Deborah. I feel it's as exciting as when Jimmy began this close to a year ago. You're welcome. :D

Thank you,aen for your efforts almost everyday. I also feel happy that Jimmy mentions his beautiful family on his own website. All of them must have been proud of Dr.Jimmy page. :D

According to Scarlet Page Photography on Facebook, this photo was taken by Scarlet.

Thank you for your opinions, Alice75. I didn't know that Scarlet took that picture, but she did a wonderful job. He looks as beautiful as ever.

• Administrators

One of the great mysteries, never solved in Steve's Mystery's thread, is the set list for this Iceland concert. Robert touches on the possibilty of trying new songs in this interview, and the difference between the set lists from the last American date in Phoenix in April, to the Bath festival less than a week after this show is big. One wonders if Zep attempted any Zep 3 songs at this Iceland show? What is great about this entry by Jimmy is all of the newspaper coverage, which includes, it looks like, a concert review or two of this show. Don't know translation-wise if the reviews indicate if any Zep 3 songs were attempted, but it would be in those reviews if they did, one would think. Outside of Dazed and Confused, we don't know what they played in Iceland!

I provided those article for OTD, so if someone is able to fully translate them, I can give them the full articles. From what I've seen, the song titles I could decipher are the ones listed in the Timeline: http://www.ledzeppel...ow/june-22-1970

Broadcasted? [arches an eyebrow] Is that a Briticism? It's in the dictionary but I can't recall ever hearing it before. Hmph. I'm learning a lot from this Jimmy person.

It's good that the Maida Vale studios are still in use after all these years. Seems like we're losing a lot of the great old recording studios from days of yore.

^^Like a lot of you, Traveling Riverside Blues is one of my favorite, but agree with SAJ and MissMelanie.

Thanks to aen27 & PlanetPage for all of their hard work and contributions to this thread :friends:

...Deborah, thank you for all that you contribute for The Fans, you have been here with us for so long now...your presence is truly magnificient...I truly thank you for your dedication from the bottom of my heart...I think this is what this Forum is about, sharing and enjoying the music of Led Zeppelin and that magical era with each other...

One of the great mysteries, never solved in Steve's Mystery's thread, is the set list for this Iceland concert. Robert touches on the possibilty of trying new songs in this interview, and the difference between the set lists from the last American date in Phoenix in April, to the Bath festival less than a week after this show is big. One wonders if Zep attempted any Zep 3 songs at this Iceland show? What is great about this entry by Jimmy is all of the newspaper coverage, which includes, it looks like, a concert review or two of this show. Don't know translation-wise if the reviews indicate if any Zep 3 songs were attempted, but it would be in those reviews if they did, one would think. Outside of Dazed and Confused, we don't know what they played in Iceland!

I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that they played Led Zeppelin III songs at this Iceland concert. As Sam says in his post, "Since I've Been Loving You" is mentioned in the article about the show, and I feel certain that "Immigrant Song" was played as well...maybe even used as an opener just like at the Bath Festival. I mean, come on...the song has lyrics that go "We come from the land of ice and snow"; you think Led Zeppelin could pass up the opportunity to sing that in Iceland?

"That's the Way" and maybe even "Bron-Yr-Aur" were probably debuted in Iceland, too.

In fact, given how important Led Zeppelin knew this Bath Festival gig was to connect with the English fans, it seems impossible to believe that they wouldn't have a test-run of the new setlist before the Bath Festival. Why play the by-now antiquated 1970 Jan-April setlist a week before debuting a new setlist at Bath?

It would be like Led Zeppelin playing the 1975 Earl's Court or 1977 tour setlist at the 1979 Copenhagen shows the week before Knebworth. That's why I am pretty confident that not only did they play Led Zeppelin III songs at Iceland, the setlist was probably in the same order as Bath, as well.

On this day… 28 Jun 1969

Led Zeppelin played Bath, UK

Led Zeppelin played at the Bath Festival twice - once in 1969 and once in 1970 - and both concerts coincided on the 28th June. In 1969, Led Zeppelin were within the bill, but I remember seeing The Nice play with Keith Emerson for the first time. He was phenomenal to watch at that time, stabbing the keyboard with knives to set up a drone, whilst playing and improvising over it. Rocking the organ backwards and forward, switching it on and off, making it alter in pitch and defying gravity. At this time he was the Hendrix of the Hammond organ. Fantastic.

In 1970, we played and it was really cold. The people at the front of the audience were covered by sleeping bags, coats and blankets to keep them warm. It was because of the cold weather that I wore my overcoat and hat that day. It was an honest statement.

This was around the Bron-y-aur and third album period, so material was played hot off the press. We started with 'Immigrant Song' and were relentless in showing why we deserved to be top of the bill. Here's a setlist.

There was an attempt to film this, but, as we preferred to play at dusk, the filming was unsuccessful as the film crew had brought daylight film - as opposed to the High Speed film needed to capture night filming.

Sir Peter Blake told me that he attended both of these concerts.

http://bathJPTD.jpg

Setlist:

Setlist

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Dazed & Confused

Bring It On Home

Since I've been Loving You

Thank You

The Boy Next Door (That's The Way)

What Is and What Should Never Be

Moby Dick

How Many More Times

Whole Lotta Love

Encore:

Communication Breakdown

Long Tall Sally

I feel certain that "Immigrant Song" was played as well...maybe even used as an opener just like at the Bath Festival. I mean, come on...the song has lyrics that go "We come from the land of ice and snow"; you think Led Zeppelin could pass up the opportunity to sing that in Iceland?"

The point of contention here is it's uncertain if the lyrics were completed before or after the journey to Iceland given Robert has said they were inspired by the experience. Of course he's very well read and may have sketched them out well in advance of the journey.

However, if the song was still an unfinished instrumental at the time of the Iceland date it's doubtful it was performed there.

I think the photo is from the 2011 Roskilde Festival. I'm not surprised as I don't recall ever seeing a photo of Page/Plant's 1995 Roskilde Festival performance.

me neither and i was at the gig, so i've had an eye open over the years. i remember they played a really fine full band rendition of Yallah (TheTruthExplodes) there, not sure if they also involved the egyptians into that tune, but kinda most likely.

30t June '12

On this day… 30 Jun 1990

I played at Knebworth with Robert Plant for the Nordoff Robbins Silver Clef Award

On this day in 1990, I played at the Nordoff Robbins Silver Clef awards show. Nordoff Robbins is a music therapy charity. I guested with Robert Plant who had been Cleffed! Also on the bill was Cliff Richard and The Shadows, Dire Straits, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Genesis, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, Status Quo and Tears for Fears.

Our set consisted of: 'Hurting Kind' / 'Tall Cool One' / 'Wearing and Tearing' / 'Rock 'n' Roll'. 'Wearing and Tearing' was performed live by Robert and myself for the first time.

I had an opportunity to speak with the Cobbold family, who owned Knebworth House, and of Edward Bulwer-Lytton, the 19th Century author, who wrote ‘Zanoni’ (1842) and ‘A Strange Story’ (1862). They told me his library was still in existence in the house.

http://knebworth90JPTD.jpg

video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZpK8sZHD_Q4

I had an opportunity to speak with the Cobbold family, who owned Knebworth House, and of Edward Bulwer-Lytton, the 19th Century author, who wrote ‘Zanoni’ (1842) and ‘A Strange Story’ (1862). They told me his library was still in existence in the house.

Led Zeppelin, arguably the world's most popular hard rock band, came down before the (1979) festival to meet us and look around Knebworth House. Guitarist Jimmy Page was a fan of Sir Edward Bulwer Lytton, who lived in the House in the early 1800's. They shared an interest in the occult, and Jimmy wanted to see all our Bulwer Lytton memorabilia. He used to have a resident medium living at Knebworth and we have his crystal ball and books on magic and witchcraft. It is his ghost that roams the passages at night!

Drummer John Bonham was more interested in the gardens and singer Robert Plant nearly took a swim in our pool but decided his hairdresser wouldn't be happy about it if he did.

--Chryssie Lytton Cobbold

On this day… 28 Jun 1969

Led Zeppelin played Bath, UK

Led Zeppelin played at the Bath Festival twice - once in 1969 and once in 1970 - and both concerts coincided on the 28th June. In 1969, Led Zeppelin were within the bill, but I remember seeing The Nice play with Keith Emerson for the first time. He was phenomenal to watch at that time, stabbing the keyboard with knives to set up a drone, whilst playing and improvising over it. Rocking the organ backwards and forward, switching it on and off, making it alter in pitch and defying gravity. At this time he was the Hendrix of the Hammond organ. Fantastic.

In 1970, we played and it was really cold. The people at the front of the audience were covered by sleeping bags, coats and blankets to keep them warm. It was because of the cold weather that I wore my overcoat and hat that day. It was an honest statement.

This was around the Bron-y-aur and third album period, so material was played hot off the press. We started with 'Immigrant Song' and were relentless in showing why we deserved to be top of the bill. Here's a setlist.

There was an attempt to film this, but, as we preferred to play at dusk, the filming was unsuccessful as the film crew had brought daylight film - as opposed to the High Speed film needed to capture night filming.

Sir Peter Blake told me that he attended both of these concerts.

http://bathJPTD.jpg

I loved this one. I love when Jimmy goes into details on his memories.

I loved to tonight's too. I remember that PagesAngel, as anyone who would remember her on here told me that Jimmy was a friend of the Lytton Cobbold family and happened to visiting on the other side of Kembworth House while she was beginning to set up this same Zeppelin exhibit she invitied me to portiscpate in. She told me Jimmy was very interested in hearing a Zep exhibit was in the works and would be in the library. I could feel her excitement as she wrote this to me. I loved knowing he was there. I always associate Kembworth House with Jimmy. :D

Thanks for this background, Steve. I forgot about that.

Led Zeppelin, arguably the world's most popular hard rock band, came down before the (1979) festival to meet us and look around Knebworth House. Guitarist Jimmy Page was a fan of Sir Edward Bulwer Lytton, who lived in the House in the early 1800's. They shared an interest in the occult, and Jimmy wanted to see all our Bulwer Lytton memorabilia. He used to have a resident medium living at Knebworth and we have his crystal ball and books on magic and witchcraft. It is his ghost that roams the passages at night!

Drummer John Bonham was more interested in the gardens and singer Robert Plant nearly took a swim in our pool but decided his hairdresser wouldn't be happy about it if he did.

--Chryssie Lytton Cobbold

...tks for the details SAJ...

and our Webmaster, herein, also attended the 1990 Knebworth Performance...

http://forums.ledzep...__fromsearch__1

Official Site of Knebworth House Photo Gallery, Background...

http://www.knebworth...otos/page2.html

edited for clarity

...and tks AEN27 for that memorable detail sometime back

edited for clarity

edited for clarity

You re welcome. It was exciting to hear he was in another part of the building the same time she was there.

30t June '12

On this day… 30 Jun 1990

I played at Knebworth with Robert Plant for the Nordoff Robbins Silver Clef Award

Our set consisted of: 'Hurting Kind' / 'Tall Cool One' / 'Wearing and Tearing' / 'Rock 'n' Roll'. 'Wearing and Tearing' was performed live by Robert and myself for the first time.

http://knebworth90JPTD.jpg

video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZpK8sZHD_Q4

That was a GREAT DAY! Listened to Robert's set on the radio, I remember he also did a wonderful version of "Going To California", just before "Liars Dance" (one of my fav RP solo songs). When Jimmy came on the emotion jumped up 1000%, hearing his Les Paul growling through those radio speakers was awe inspiring! They first played "Misty Mountain Hop", then my jaw dropped as they tore through "Wearing and Tearing" - I couldn't believe they were playing it! They wrapped up with "Rock and Roll" which Jimmy played masterfully, his playing was so much better than 2 years prior at the Atlantic Records reunion! It took awhile to come down after that set and would not have wanted to follow them in that line-up! I believe it was Jim Ladd who said, "You've just learned a lesson of what it is to walk with the big dogs...". Indeed!

Archived