JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Melody played on a theremin : pretty cool ...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w5qf9O6c20o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I should add the irresistible comment on YouTube which followed this "Leon Theremin Playing his own instrument"

" I once tried making a video of me playing my own instrument, but YouTube thought it was too indecorous to publish"

6th July'12

I played with Led Zeppelin at the Newport Jazz Festival, RI

On this day in 1969, Led Zeppelin played the iconic Newport Jazz Festival slot after Buddy Rich and his big band. The festival site was becoming overcrowded and the radio stations started to announce that we weren’t going to appear to try and cut the numbers of people that were travelling to the site. Such was the popularity of the group that we had hijacked such a prestigious jazz festival.

http://

newportjazJPTD.jpg

I'll say one last thing on that theremin subject:

Jimmy playing the theremin is the same as Yoko Ono singing.

Yes, it is (or was) avant-garde.

Your right; most all the long drawn out solos during the 77 tour was just a bunch of drug induced nonsense, that did little more than give the other 3 a chance to go blow backstage. It served a purpose though. It added to the Zeppelin mystic and to the whole Jimmy/black magic/mystery thing. Nonetheless, short usages worked better than 30 minutes of noise before ALS. I remember many a fan taking bathroom breaks at the Seattle 77 show. Worked well during WWL and HMMT (98 p/p tour).

Your right; most all the long drawn out solos during the 77 tour was just a bunch of drug induced nonsense, that did little more than give the other 3 a chance to go blow backstage. It served a purpose though. It added to the Zeppelin mystic and to the whole Jimmy/black magic/mystery thing. Nonetheless, short usages worked better than 30 minutes of noise before ALS. I remember many a fan taking bathroom breaks at the Seattle 77 show. Worked well during WWL and HMMT (98 p/p tour).

Your Wrong you had to be there Baton Rouge 77 this SHOW set the standard for what a concert of Zep was like.You didn't see anyone leaving during Jimmy's Noise Solo.

I'll say one last thing on that theremin subject:

Jimmy playing the theremin is the same as Yoko Ono singing.

Yes, it is (or was) avant-garde.

No, it's not the same. Jimmy Page was actually talented enough as a musician to pull it off - Yoko wasn't.

Blasphemy and arm-chair judgment almost forty years on. I bet the '77 version of you was blown away - and if you weren't, many others would have been.

8th Jul/12

On this day… 08 Jul 1997

Rainer Ptacek's tribute album 'The Inner Flame' was released

Today sees the 1997 release date of Rainer Ptacek's tribute album, 'The Inner Flame' and I played on the track ‘Rude World’, with an interesting use of a digitech Whammy pedal with Robert on vocal, Charlie Jones on bass, Phil Andrews on keyboards / sandwiches and Michael Lee on drums. I really felt that people might have thought this a cool direction, I did.

http://rainerJPTD.jpg

Audio This Day...

http://soundcloud.com/jimmypage/rude-world/s-hIx1K

No, it's not the same. Jimmy Page was actually talented enough as a musician to pull it off - Yoko wasn't.

Blasphemy and arm-chair judgment almost forty years on. I bet the '77 version of you was blown away - and if you weren't, many others would have been.

To a certain degree I have to go with Mudslider on this. The noise solo was too damn long and the theramin was great sauce for the goose, but it should never have been the whole goose. I have several, um, un-official recordings, um, and this is such a u-turn in the show it just screws up the whole flow. Now don't get me wrong, the solo itself could have been great, real Frank Zappa meets Brian Eno meets Robert Fripp, unfortunately it was way too long and way too convoluted. This is what happens when a great idea is given no restraint thus becoming a wreck.

To a certain degree I have to go with Mudslider on this. The noise solo was too damn long and the theramin was great sauce for the goose, but it should never have been the whole goose. I have several, um, un-official recordings, um, and this is such a u-turn in the show it just screws up the whole flow. Now don't get me wrong, the solo itself could have been great, real Frank Zappa meets Brian Eno meets Robert Fripp, unfortunately it was way too long and way too convoluted. This is what happens when a great idea is given no restraint thus becoming a wreck.

I'm not talking about how it sounds to us, now, listening through our computer speakers - from a historical frame of reference, where more than half of the audience would have been drunk/high on something, I'm sure it would have been a cool experience. I wouldn't listen to Noise Solos from more than one show in a row, but they're still part of the overall experience.

FAIL

The spacing between the circles is uneven, revealing an alien's face.

With respect sir, the spacing has always been uneven. Check your album cover/remasters box set cover/the bottom of the page.

With respect sir, the spacing has always been uneven. Check your album cover/remasters box set cover/the bottom of the page.

:lol:

I was hoping he would explain why the July 8 Berlin concert (appears on official tour t-shirt) was dropped but seems he may not know.

8th Jul/12

On this day… 08 Jul 1997

Rainer Ptacek's tribute album 'The Inner Flame' was released

Today sees the 1997 release date of Rainer Ptacek's tribute album, 'The Inner Flame' and I played on the track ‘Rude World’, with an interesting use of a digitech Whammy pedal with Robert on vocal, Charlie Jones on bass, Phil Andrews on keyboards / sandwiches and Michael Lee on drums. I really felt that people might have thought this a cool direction, I did.

http://rainerJPTD.jpg

Audio This Day...

http://soundcloud.com/jimmypage/rude-world/s-hIx1K

I agree with Jimmy, thought this was a bold, progressive solo. When Jeff Beck tries something out of left field fans praise him. Sometimes I get the feeling Jimmy gets put in a box by people who want him to do the Heartbreaker solo over and over.

If he ever does new music, I hope he pushes forward the way he did on this track...

Oh, please. A bit dramatic. I agree some shows were much better than others. Seattle was not a good show by any means. However, I witnessed what I witnessed. I was 22 at the time and a huge Zep fan, but this was the low point of the show. It was horrible. Your welcome to your opinion, but dont try to judge what I witnessed. I am a huge Page fan, but will call out crap when I see it.

Oh, please. A bit dramatic. I agree some shows were much better than others. Seattle was not a good show by any means. However, I witnessed what I witnessed. I was 22 at the time and a huge Zep fan, but this was the low point of the show. It was horrible. Your welcome to your opinion, but dont try to judge what I witnessed. I am a huge Page fan, but will call out crap when I see it.

If that was the low point, you were lucky.

11july12

11 Jul 2000

I played with The Black Crowes on the 'Late Night with Conan O’Brien' show

Conan O'Brien was a really bright guy, extremely personable and a muso. It was cool doing his show with The Black Crowes. We played 'Your Time Is Gonna Come' from the first Led Zeppelin album. The Black Crowes brought so much to the Zep songs we did in our time together.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/planetPage_bucket/conancrowesJPTD.jpg]http://conancrowesJPTD.jpg

Video..

11july12

11 Jul 2000

I played with The Black Crowes on the 'Late Night with Conan O’Brien' show

Conan O'Brien was a really bright guy, extremely personable and a muso. It was cool doing his show with The Black Crowes. We played 'Your Time Is Gonna Come' from the first Led Zeppelin album. The Black Crowes brought so much to the Zep songs we did in our time together.

http://conancrowesJPTD.jpg

Video..

This was really a great appearance, cool to see it again. Used to have it on VCR! Great interview too...

I was there, third time I saw them that summer! Awesome, awesome show.

...very lucky to witness The Legendary Collaboration Mstork, perhaps you can reveal some highlights details, as to view of the stage, I hope you took some photo of the show...

thank you...

Archived