Raising Attention...Plant's biggest post Zep album is.....

Honeydripper

Raising Sand....... It hit the gate at #2 on Billboard, Plant's highest charting since Zep....sold a couple hundred thousand in the first week and a half...and is still selling like hotcakes.

There is something alot of Zep fans are missing when they think it's a small potatoes project. The truth is, it's far from it...country music as a whole outsells rock music 2-1 right now. This record has been promoted heavily in arenas we normally would'nt look. Bringing Zep/Plant fans together with Kraus fans is a win win situation. I'm happy as hell for Plant with this project and can't wait to see him on tour. Sure, everyone here wants a Zep tour, but this thing Plant has going on right now is bigger than anything any member of Zep has ever done outside of Zep and to be denied that for the sake of reliving his past....again.....would be a shame IMO.

Raising Sand is...............

Amazon.com's current #2 best seller

Barnes And Noble.com's current #3 best seller

Buy.com's current #8 best seller

...and so on.

The Plant/Kraus 2008 tour is being booked as we speak...some dates already confirmed, including Boneroo! Check the official site for updates.

Raising Sand....... It hit the gate at #2 on Billboard, Plant's highest charting since Zep....sold a couple hundred thousand in the first week and a half...and is still selling like hotcakes.

There is something alot of Zep fans are missing when they think it's a small potatoes project. The truth is, it's far from it...country music as a whole outsells rock music 2-1 right now. This record has been promoted heavily in arenas we normally would'nt look. Bringing Zep/Plant fans together with Kraus fans is a win win situation. I'm happy as hell for Plant with this project and can't wait to see him on tour. Sure, everyone here wants a Zep tour, but this thing Plant has going on right now is bigger than anything any member of Zep has ever done outside of Zep and to be denied that for the sake of reliving his past....again.....would be a shame IMO.

...and so on.

It's great, don't get me wrong, but I still prefer Pictures at Eleven to this.

The Plant/Kraus 2008 tour is being booked as we speak...some dates already confirmed, including Boneroo! Check the official site for updates.

...and so on.

I posted this under a separate thread.....before I read your post. I should've checked more thoroughly....oh well, at least one member of Led Zeppelin is confirmed to perform at Bonaroo. :)

• 3 months later...

Oh Country Music is just a Phase it will dissapear .Thats what the Country Music fans over here said about Rock&Roll I used to laugh now when I hear most of what is out there . I have to think they may have been right.I like some of the newer faster Country and some of the Southern Rock that has become Country .I like verry little newer Rock.

Although I now love the Raising Sand musical content, (it took me awhile to love it) I firmly believe all the hype surrounding the reunion gig of Led Zeppelin at the O2 Area fueled the fire for the Plant/Kraus union. It brought mega attention to Plant and Kraus, along with major curiosity to hear the album.

I do not believe it would be the huge success it is otherwise.

The other thing I think Zep fans tend to overlook is Alison Krauss's huge success and stature in her field. Many of her fans are following her to Robert, not so much vice versa. It's a good cross over for both of them, but IMO helps Plant more than Krauss, actually.

The other thing I think Zep fans tend to overlook is Alison Krauss's huge success and stature in her field. Many of her fans are following her to Robert, not so much vice versa. It's a good cross over for both of them, but IMO helps Plant more than Krauss, actually.

That may be the view from a US standpoint but here in the UK she was/is still relatively unknown. Bluegrass isn't that big or extensivley heard here in the UK. I think the project just opens up audiences for both of them. Whether diehard bluegrass fans will take to Robert and diehard rock fans will take to Alison remains to be seen. But someone has been buying the album and tickets for the shows. And thats cool. B)

That may be the view from a US standpoint but here in the UK she was/is still relatively unknown. Bluegrass isn't that big or extensivley heard here in the UK. I think the project just opens up audiences for both of them. Whether diehard bluegrass fans will take to Robert and diehard rock fans will take to Alison remains to be seen. But someone has been buying the album and tickets for the shows. And thats cool. B)

Agreed. She was brought to my notice via this collaboration with Plant. But then when I mentioned it to a friend at work he was enthused about Allison, having been a long time fan of hers. Together they make something a little bit different for everyone to sink their teeth into, for sure.

Oh i don't doubt her pulling power. We know Roberts. It will be very interesting to see how the audiences are made up when the shows hit town.

Its not that long until my first show. :)

Can't wait... please let us know all about it! :)

Although I now love the Raising Sand musical content, (it took me awhile to love it) I firmly believe all the hype surrounding the reunion gig of Led Zeppelin at the O2 Area fueled the fire for the Plant/Kraus union. It brought mega attention to Plant and Kraus, along with major curiosity to hear the album.

I do not believe it would be the huge success it is otherwise.

I disagree with that. There was a lot of anticipation for the record prior to any announcement of the 02 concert. It sold because it's a damned good album and I think so different than a lot of what's out there. From a lot of blogs I've read, people who knew neither too well bought it (in addition to both of their fans of course) and were floored by how good it is (thus spreading the word). Many of these people made no mention of being big Zep fans either or the recent concert.

Can't wait to see them next month :D

I disagree with that. There was a lot of anticipation for the record prior to any announcement of the 02 concert. It sold because it's a damned good album and I think so different than a lot of what's out there. From a lot of blogs I've read, people who knew neither too well bought it (in addition to both of their fans of course) and were floored by how good it is (thus spreading the word). Many of these people made no mention of being big Zep fans either or the recent concert.

Can't wait to see them next month :D

Same here, but I'll be going June 10th to MSG.

As far as your disagreement with my take on the whole success of P and K, you could be right, but I still think others connected the dots out of curiosity - for a variety of reasons.

I liked fate of Nations Better than any of his work, as a complete album. Like great Spirit and his take on If i were a Carpenter. his first album was good too, but the rest i didnt even buy, and i have heard them all. Raising Sand is ok, but i wont buy it or go see it.

Agreed. She was brought to my notice via this collaboration with Plant. But then when I mentioned it to a friend at work he was enthused about Allison, having been a long time fan of hers. Together they make something a little bit different for everyone to sink their teeth into, for sure.

I am not a country music fan per se, however, I went out and bought the Raising Sand cd and loved it, it's different certainly from anything Robert Plant has done, but it works, I especially like his vocals on Fortune Teller, and I have a friend who is in her sixties and was a Zep fan and also loved the cd. If I could go see the show I would, however, I can't take time off from work to drive to Phoenix.

I'm glad that it's been a success commercially, but can't really see what all the fuss is about myself.

It's a pleasant enough listen, if a bit soporific in places.

Killing The Blues & Please Read The Letter are great, but on the whole does anyone think it's really that good? I'll sit this one out & wait for another Plant/Strange Sensation project. :bagoverhead:

Stick With Me Baby is a good song, and there are a few others I listen to when I'm driving that are not so bad.

Oh yeah, as I said it has several nice tracks, and the harmonies are fantastic in places. I just don't think that (as a whole) it lives up to the hype that surrounded the release.

Now I gather they are talking about a proposed second volume. Is anyone else hearing alarm bells, and thinking about Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook series? :blink:

Oh yeah, as I said it has several nice tracks, and the harmonies are fantastic in places. I just don't think that (as a whole) it lives up to the hype that surrounded the release.

Now I gather they are talking about a proposed second volume. Is anyone else hearing alarm bells, and thinking about Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook series? :blink:

Wherever there is a several times Grammy winner there is going to be hype because the industry sees that artist as worthy of promotion.

As for the Great American Songbook, I have not noticed Robert Plant or Allison Krauss doing

tunes; one possible exception would be the song that Janis Joplin recorded with Big Brother and The Holding Company, Summertime. A revival of Swanee would surprise me.

Wherever there is a several times Grammy winner there is going to be hype because the industry sees that artist as worthy of promotion.

As for the Great American Songbook, I have not noticed Robert Plant or Allison Krauss doing

tunes; one possible exception would be the song that Janis Joplin recorded with Big Brother and The Holding Company, Summertime. A revival of Swanee would surprise me.

lol....Plant doing Gershwin...now there's a thought! :D

No, I was talking about the law of diminishing returns really. However, as always I'm prepared to be proved wrong. B)

lol....Plant doing Gershwin...now there's a thought! :D

No, I was talking about the law of diminishing returns really. However, as always I'm prepared to be proved wrong. B)

was popular in film for awhile during the seventies but mostly for the Entertainer, so late comebacks are not unknown. Diminishing returns make sense during a recession.

Archived