Five pictures of Jimmy in a box... £7000?

woz70

I've mentioned this before. About 4 years ago, (after a couple of drinks) I emailed Halfin for the hell of it. I asked that since he was a friend of Jimmy's, what is he up to musically. He emailed me back, rather quickly and simply wrote, "He's retired". I believe him. Page is 68. He's no Jeff Beck, who's still innovative. There is no more music. I think this BS about new music is getting old. I just don't understand why he keeps rehashing old material, (Mothership, the Genesis book, Deathwish soundtrack, Lucifer Rising and these absurdly priced nostalgic photos).

Just to add.. Jimmy attended a preview of this Gered Mankowitz exhibition in London, a week or so ago. I wonder if he passed on the news that of the 6 JP portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, Gered's was the one not included in the big sale ?

http://www.artlyst.com/articles/gered-mankowitz-photographic-retrospective-opens-in-london

I will not be purchasing these...anything with Halfwit I will no longer be part of...he has bashed Robert and Jason to a point that IMHO he is vile...the last straw was his choice words about Jason last year.

Looks like it ! He looks particularly gorgeous in these photos. If I were a National Portrait Gallery curator I'd think hard about including these in my national archive.

Gered Mankowitz, over to you !

Yay I think so too! :wub:

Thanks to Strider, I went on eBay this morning and picked up a signed edition (1032/5000) of Neal Preston's "Led Zeppelin Portraits" for $14.50! Saved myself $11,180.80, got some great Jimmy photos and kept any money from going to leech Halfin!

Thanks Strider!!!

Well so far no one has admitted that they will buy any of these photos.I certainly won't. As a few of you have mentioned, JP is indeed retired as an active musician and presumably he has returned to art as a creative endeavor.

And sorry to offend (not really) but Robert Plant should retire as well.

2922m44.jpg

I have to admit that this charming photo of Jimmy (his facial expression, his hands) makes me realize that he still melts my heart to my very soul.

These photos look beautiful and I am sure that there are fans who are collectors of such things who are willing and able to purchase them to have in their collections.

I think the day has come when the phrase "guitar player Jimmy Page" can be retired. For playing guitar seems to be the least of his priorities and desire.

Look, for all the joy, consulation, succour and pleasure Jimmy's music has provided me throughout my life, I don't begrudge the man for wanting to take it easy now. I even can see the appeal these high-priced books and photo-sets and whatnot would have for someone with the wherewithal to afford them.

Silver gelatin prints ARE fucking amazing. The difference between such a print and a book reproduction or a print taken from the internet is striking. What irks me, and where the current Jimmy dishonours the Jimmy of the past is by not at least providing a fan-friendly priced alternative.

One of the best Led Zeppelin photo books ever published was Neal Preston's landmark "Portraits" in 1983. They were first offered by mail-order for only $15 for a signed and numbered edition. I got two of them. Each of the photos in that book is frame-worthy.

I realize it's easy to blame Ross Halfin for this, but it takes two to tango...Jimmy still has the last word; he has the ability to say yes or no to Halfin's ideas. At least I presume he does...let's hope and pray that Jimmy hasn't yet developed any symptoms of Alzheimer's or Dementia and is becoming more dependent on Mr. Halfin.

Note that only one of the photos is by Halfin...the other four are by Preston and other photographers. I assume they are getting a piece of the action, too? Actually, even if I had the dough to get this, I would probably pass as the 5 photos chosen aren't really my favourites...they could have picked better ones I think. Only Neal Preston's is one that I would pay good money for.

But yeah, as someone said, Jimmy is starting to come off as a classier version of Gene Simmons. It is hard to reconcile this musically dormant huckster Jimmy with the vibrant, shape-shifting, sexual beacon charismatic Jimmy I saw on stage all those years ago. Either you are making music or you are not. It shouldn't take...when was that interview promising new music? 2008? 2009?...three years to make an album.

I hate to keep using Jack White as an example...but I just saw Jack White play an amazing concert two weeks ago with his FOURTH different band in what seems in as many years. Christ, "Icky Thump" was released in 2007, and the White Stripes last official release was the live album "Under the Great White Northern Lights" in 2010. In that time frame Jack White has also given us albums with The Raconteurs, Dead Weather, Wanda Jackson, and countless others.

THAT is what a working guitarist/producer does...make and produce music. Not worry about selling memorabilia.

So come on Jimmy. Either you are a working musician or you're not...and it's no problem if you don't feel it anymore. Just be honest with us and say "that's all, folks" instead of promising new music in interviews when there is none.

Well, since most of us are all friends here,,,who's going to lend me $11,236.20 for the full package? Any takers? (That's today's US Dollar/ British Pound exchange rate) I must have this! Well, not if I'm of sound mind! A bit much, I must say.

Totally agree with you Strider in your synopsis of Jimmy's (career?) over the last several years. So different than Jack White. I actually saw Wanda Jackson at ACL, last September in Austin and at 73, she puts on a great show. What a performer. Even better, she dated Elvis at one time.

Just wish there was hope for Jimmy to perform on somewhat of a regular basis like Robert does and get the inspiration to put out some good music. Maybe lost at this point. Only one who can change this.

And sorry to offend (not really) but Robert Plant should retire as well.

Why? Because the type of music he's doing these days isn't to your liking? Not sure if Sensational Spaceshifters or Crown Vic are only temporary bands but personally I'm looking forward to what he does next. I don't like every single thing Page, Plant, Jones and John Bonham did throughout their careers (with and without Zeppelin) but you never know what's around the next corner. I hope Plant continues to make music for as long as it makes him happy. Same for Page and Jones.

Why? Because the type of music he's doing these days isn't to your liking? Not sure if Sensational Spaceshifters or Crown Vic are only temporary bands but personally I'm looking forward to what he does next. I don't like every single thing Page, Plant, Jones and John Bonham did throughout their careers (with and without Zeppelin) but you never know what's around the next corner. I hope Plant continues to make music for as long as it makes him happy. Same for Page and Jones.

Sorry, I just don't think it works, but maybe it's a matter of taste. Even when he was young his voice was frequently annoying.

Just seen on Facebook and Jimmypage.com that Jimmy's selling 5 photos at £1000 a pop, or £7000 for the lot in a posh box.

For that kind of $$$$, I would expect the prints to include underage girls and mudsharks. :yesnod:

Wow..lots of negativity here!

I have to disagree with Betteremily saying "I too saw The O2 as uninspiring, to be frank. Never want, or have any intentions of buying that concert if it were to be released. Might be a way for some folks to make a quick Buck. Cause that's what it's about, right?"

I was at the O2 show - front and just left of center - and Pagey's playing was anything BUT uninspiring! Good Lord, with the amount of pressure on thsoe four guys, Page having to learn the songs in different keys and even re-learning some of the solos that he'd been playing for years (Stairway, especially), I can't believe they put on a show that even the critics admired (finally!) Best concert I've ever seen and the lads were on fire that night! I still hold out hope that it is officially released. If not my three versions do just nicely!

Wow..lots of negativity here!

I have to disagree with Betteremily saying "I too saw The O2 as uninspiring, to be frank. Never want, or have any intentions of buying that concert if it were to be released. Might be a way for some folks to make a quick Buck. Cause that's what it's about, right?"

I was at the O2 show - front and just left of center - and Pagey's playing was anything BUT uninspiring! Good Lord, with the amount of pressure on thsoe four guys, Page having to learn the songs in different keys and even re-learning some of the solos that he'd been playing for years (Stairway, especially), I can't believe they put on a show that even the critics admired (finally!) Best concert I've ever seen and the lads were on fire that night! I still hold out hope that it is officially released. If not my three versions do just nicely!

He didn't have to learn ANYTHING in a different key - you just re-tune the guitars. It's a piece of piss. And as for re-learning solos..... again he winged it IMO - that means 'made it up on the spot' - basically what he did every night at every Zep gig ever. That's what guitarists do.

I'm not saying they weren't good - they were. But they could have been even better.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, lets face it i get the impression that Jimmy's website has nothing to do with his input, it just seem's like some fan updating every day, something any of us could do, i cant exactly see Jimmy on his keyboard typing "on this day" now im getting the complete feeling of exploitation of selling items through said website. Death Wish 2 re-released, with a couple of different tracks and for a couple of hundred quid extra you can have Jimmy's autograph, Lucifer rising, his book, again for a few hundred quid more his autograph, and now this exploitation, come on Jimmy we have seen it all before, if you want to do new stuff it's entirely up to you not us, but please stop exploiting us to buy these things to make us feel like we are missing out on something and to make us feel like we are special fans if we buy them.

This is the problem right here.

December 2009

"We're running up to Christmas now and next year I have every intention of playing music live and manifesting it," Page told Sky News. "I've got the music waiting, and that's what I'll be doing. It's been two years since the O2, so it's time to do that."

January 2010

"I think it's very important to do some musical statements with new material and that's exactly what I plan to do over the forthcoming year. Musically it will be a different picture in quite a radical frame, I hope. I'd like to try some ambitious projects. But we'll see."

June 2010

“I'm just looking forward to making some music and surprising people with it,” he said. “It won't be just teaming up with lots of people who are [big] names. I've got an idea of something which I've had for a long time and now's the time to do it.”

"I have got other ideas that have been nagging at me for a long, long time,” he continued. “It will be quite an interesting menu of music.”

May 2011 there was the Ivor Novello Awards interview. Remember? the Website was the vehicle to getting 'new music' out there.

Perhaps I fell asleep during intermission but how did we go from (ACT 1) Releasing and performing NEW MUSIC to (ACT 2) Photo Autobiographies/Rehashed Soundtracks/ and 1000 pound photographs? How is this going to manifest music?

Why does he choose to alienate people with his bs prices?

Remember when Peter Grant went off his nut at the Bouncer in TSRTS the scene in the dressing room where he was shouting "your exploting Led Zeppelin by selling these dodgy posters, but it doesn't matter as long as you can squeeze every knickle and dime out of Led zeppelin's name" or something along those lines. Get my point guys?

Remember when Peter Grant went off his nut at the Bouncer in TSRTS the scene in the dressing room where he was shouting "your exploting Led Zeppelin by selling these dodgy posters, but it doesn't matter as long as you can squeeze every knickle and dime out of Led zeppelin's name" or something along those lines. Get my point guys?

Apples to oranges. Grant was berating the controller of the venue for permitting the sale of pirated promotional photos (unauthorized).

Views may vary - and indeed they do - concerning Jimmy's photo set but there is no question it is an official artist-endorsed product.

Apples to oranges. Grant was berating the controller of the venue for permitting the sale of pirated promotional photos (unauthorized).

Views may vary - and indeed they do - concerning Jimmy's photo set but there is no question it is an official artist-endorsed product.

I know what your saying Steve, it's just the same feeling that's all

I mean, can you imagine walking around London , and going into a market and Jimmy was there with Ross Halfin, and you were carrying your copy of the Genesis publication, and because you couldn't afford it bought the cheap un-autographed edition, then proceeded to say to Jimmy that you have been a massive fan for the last 35 years, could you please sign my book? and he replied no, you should have bought the autrographed copy for a couple of hundred quid more. :hysterical:

I mean, can you imagine walking around London , and going into a market and Jimmy was there with Ross Halfin, and you were carrying your copy of the Genesis publication, and because you couldn't afford it bought the cheap un-autographed edition, then proceeded to say to Jimmy that you have been a massive fan for the last 35 years, could you please sign my book? and he replied no, you should have bought the autrographed copy for a couple of hundred quid more. :hysterical:

That's if each and every one of the Jimmy Page books from Genesis Publications were not signed in the first place of course ;)

Not YOUR favourites? Oh, but they have the endorsement of the National Portrait Gallery... so they MUST be the ones to have.

They're part of 5 recent additions to the National Portrait Gallery archive - you may have seen the publicity as one of the images ( the RH one of course ) just happened to be the one which became the 100,000th to be digitised. Who could argue with any of that? - snap them up now.

Except that until 2012, according to its website, the NPG did not apparently have any individual portraits of Jimmy Page. He appeared on a striking 1966 photograph of the Yardbirds by Gered Mankowitz. This is listed as having been purchased by the National Portrait Gallery in 2010.

Their Acquisition and Disposals policy states that images can be obtained by purchase, acquisition or gift.

And their five subsequent acquisitions - just by chance the ones now offered on Jimmypage.com - were obtained by gift.

Each of them has been "Given by the wish of James Patrick (Jimmy) Page - 2012" ... that would be: given, and publicised, shortly before the planned release of the 5 photos and, presumably, once the 5 photographers had been signed up to the marketing project ( and perhaps for some of them the kudos of the NPG inclusion would encourage them to take a smaller cut ? )

We all have a choice about whether we get out our credit cards or not. And if Jimmy's marketing anything, he might as well have PR/management/marketing people who like to play sharp and mean - it's what he had in the past after all..

But it looks like the National Portrait Gallery has been badly hoodwinked here - and also looks like, having accepted (obviously! ) that JP as an individual deserves inclusion in their archive, they have failed to consider other fabulous portraits because these 5 - admittedly gorgeous - images happen to come free. Though at a different kind of price.

Truth and Beauty,

Excellent post. When I made the posting on the news forum about Halfin's photo being the 100,00th portrait, it occured to me at the time that this is all too much of a coincidence. It had to be the portrait of Jimmy, that just happened to be taken by Halfin - why not by one of the other four? And that particular announcement was made just days before these prints were put up for sale. I have come to the conclusion that Jimmy and his sidekicks must think we are all as thick as two short planks of wood!!!

I looked again at the JimmyPage.com site re the prints' pricing and this is what it states:-

"Pricing

As is customary in the art world, the price of the Fine Art Prints will increase as the editions sell through, starting at £1000 for the lowest available individual edition number. Once an edition is sold out, it will never be made available again."

Now, unless I am reading this wrongly, it looks like £1,000/£7,000 is in fact the starting price point. If that is indeed the case, how much will they be by the time you get to the end of the run?

I feel sorry for the stallholder in the market who was refused a photo by Jimmy - he should have walked up and offered him (or Halfin) £1,000 - that might have done the trick. For a number of years now, Jimmy has been refusing autographs to fans on the basis that he was preserving his signature for charity auctions - why therefore put out a photographic book, prints and vinyl which incorporate his autograph? The truth of the matter with Jimmy is that he will give his signature, or allow a photo, if you hand over the cash.

Archived