New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I'll be very happy even if there is only early versions of existing songs. I'd be extatic with some unreleased songs, though i think the proportion of unreleased tracks to cobwebs in the vault is skewed heavily in favour of the spiders.

I'm non plussed about the remastering. I'll judge when I hear.

Zeppelin is not in the present, it's history, they owe us nothing as they already delivered in spades (except ITTOD lol), which is why I'm exceptionally grateful when they give us something.

Now, about that studio version of as long as I have you....

I said I'm sure I'll be purchasing the reissues. However, at this point the actual content hasn't even been revealed, has it?

That's why I said "to an extent". I really have no interest in hearing numerous studio takes of the exact same song especially if there's little to no variation between the different versions. You may find my thoughts on that "silly" but I would have no desire to listen to something like that more than once. That's just far too much repetition for me. If you're a completist that has to have every little thing a band ever released I can certainly understand that, I'm just not one of those people. Again, none of us even knows what's going to be on these releases yet so there's hardly any point in arguing about it.

On the same note, I'm not at all opposed to "I Can't Quit You Baby" and "Communication Breakdown" being repeated on BBC Sessions as there's something markedly different about each one. That's not what I'm referring to here. However, the repetition factor on Robert Johnson's The Complete Recordings box set is too much for me. Your mileage may vary.

Have you listened to the Johnson alternate takes? In at least a couple of cases, they sound almost entirely different. I just don't understand why you wouldn't want more Robert Johnson in your life.

Edited by Melcórë

I’m a huge Zeppelin fan but new to the Forum so this will be my first post.

It’s possible I’ve watched too much X-files, but I see a sort of pattern to new official Led Zeppelin releases in the past 15 years. They come in periods of 5,6 years apart, and they always come in pairs:

1997: Whole Lotta Love (single) + BBC Sessions

2003: DVD + How The West Was Won

2007: Remasters of The Song Remains The Same + Mothership

2012/3: Celebration Day + ……?

If Jimmy Page continues this pattern than that would mean IMHO that the release of the first box set is only a few months away. Let’s hope so! On the other hand, this is Jimmy Page we’re talking about so it could take another 6 years… :)

What would the bonus material in the box sets consist of? I don’t think there are a lot of studio outtakes or alternate takes left that we, fanatic fans, haven’t already heared on one of the multi-disc bootleg releases of all the Led Zep studio outtakes.

I think it would be more likely that previously unreleased live-material is released (albeit in mixed and remastered form). Especially the tours of 1973 and 1977 are in my opinion underrepresented in the current official live-releases:

1969: BBC Sessions

1970: DVD

1971: BBC Sessions

1972: How The West Was Won

1973: The Song Remains The Same & DVD

1975: DVD

1979: DVD

The tour of 1973 is represented in official live releases but only parts of a show, and we all know that despite the remastered version, Jimmy Page isn’t pleased with the performances on TSRTS.

There is the persistent rumour for years coming from various sources that the show in Southampton 1973 was recorded by Jimmy Page with an official release in mind. If that is so, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is finally released as bonus material on the boxset for Led Zeppelin 4 for instance.

The tour of 1977 is not represented in official live releases at all so it could be that a good show from that tour is finally released.

Having said all this, I will buy any new official Led Zeppelin release, if only to keep my collection up to date. :)

- peace all -

Trapper, welcome to the forum.

The Southampton show was multitracked, but well-mixed bootlegs are already available, so releasing them wouldn't be a big gem for us. However, I still wouldn't say no to a Southampton live album.

I think a true holy grail for us all is Japan 1971. I would say that if the tapes still exist and are in Page's possession, a release is guaranteed. Probably the best shows the band ever played.

As for the 1977 tour, none of the shows were multitracked but I'd love seeing at least small video snippets of the Pontiac show (I hope the taes still exists).

Edited by Geezer

I don’t think there are a lot of studio outtakes or alternate takes left that we, fanatic fans, haven’t already heared on one of the multi-disc bootleg releases of all the Led Zep studio outtakes.

There's an element of the unknown there - we have very little concept of what they do/don't have in terms of studio outtakes. I'd err on the side of maybe not as many as have been bootlegged will be released, but seeing as there are huge sections of the catalogue that have been unbootlegged, I'd say there's a good chance we'll have at least a few previously unheard recordings to get excited about.

I’m a huge Zeppelin fan but new to the Forum so this will be my first post.

It’s possible I’ve watched too much X-files, but I see a sort of pattern to new official Led Zeppelin releases in the past 15 years. They come in periods of 5,6 years apart, and they always come in pairs:

1997: Whole Lotta Love (single) + BBC Sessions

2003: DVD + How The West Was Won

2007: Remasters of The Song Remains The Same + Mothership

2012/3: Celebration Day + ……?

If Jimmy Page continues this pattern than that would mean IMHO that the release of the first box set is only a few months away. Let’s hope so! On the other hand, this is Jimmy Page we’re talking about so it could take another 6 years… :)

What would the bonus material in the box sets consist of? I don’t think there are a lot of studio outtakes or alternate takes left that we, fanatic fans, haven’t already heared on one of the multi-disc bootleg releases of all the Led Zep studio outtakes.

I think it would be more likely that previously unreleased live-material is released (albeit in mixed and remastered form). Especially the tours of 1973 and 1977 are in my opinion underrepresented in the current official live-releases:

1969: BBC Sessions

1970: DVD

1971: BBC Sessions

1972: How The West Was Won

1973: The Song Remains The Same & DVD

1975: DVD

1979: DVD

The tour of 1973 is represented in official live releases but only parts of a show, and we all know that despite the remastered version, Jimmy Page isn’t pleased with the performances on TSRTS.

There is the persistent rumour for years coming from various sources that the show in Southampton 1973 was recorded by Jimmy Page with an official release in mind. If that is so, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is finally released as bonus material on the boxset for Led Zeppelin 4 for instance.

The tour of 1977 is not represented in official live releases at all so it could be that a good show from that tour is finally released.

Having said all this, I will buy any new official Led Zeppelin release, if only to keep my collection up to date. :)

- peace all -

You can go even farther back than that if you want. The first box set in 1990 and the Box set II in 1993 of the remasters of what was left. Perhaps, you can do some more math if you wish!

BTW, a big welcome to the forum Trapper!

I remember when I first saw the Apollo space program era "Spacesuit" cover for Early Days...

OMG what were they thinking, ridiculous. That had to be a record company art dept idea.

Please don't tell me that the Band thought those outfits would be cool...

I remember when I first saw the Apollo space program era "Spacesuit" cover for Early Days...

OMG what were they thinking, ridiculous. That had to be a record company art dept idea.

Please don't tell me that the Band thought those outfits would be cool...

Silly, for sure. But in fairness, it was a not-entirely-stupid play on the LZ II cover.

What would you prefer?

DVD and BluRay release of uncut Royal Albert Hall show 1970

DVD and BluRay release of full MSG show 1973 without dream sequences

DVD and BluRay release of full Earls Court show 1975

DVD and BluRay release of ful 1977 show

DVD and BluRay release of full Knebworth show 1979

Other (please say what)

DVD and BluRay release of full MSG show 1973 without dream sequences

Impossible.

They didn't have enough film - that is why there are fantasy sequences, not to mention re-shoots from Shepperton more than a year later, interspersed within the genuine concert footage.

We could, conceiveably, have unedited (or mostly so) album releases of the concert run, though.

Depends on what 1977 show you are talking about. I think I'd take Pontiac over uncut Blu-ray of MSG.

I don't think anyone has Pontiac there's never been a whisper or snippet about it and Seattle is degraded beyond belief, nothing from 77 video is ever gonna come out Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

I don't think anyone has Pontiac there's never been a whisper or snippet about it and Seattle is degraded beyond belief, nothing from 77 video is ever gonna come out

This is degraded?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHNycVDvsKg

Now to be fair, there is only two and a half songs in this quality, but it's proof that lower gen video does indeed exist. I have to think that it's been excluded up until this point due to it not having a multitrack audio. There is a boot out there that is from an (assumed) official source provided to BET (yes, BET) for a possible project including Puff Daddy. The audio is just the video soundtrack, and possibly better than Year of the Dragon.

Edited to add "assumed"

Edited by publicenemy3

Impossible.

They didn't have enough film - that is why there are fantasy sequences, not to mention re-shoots from Shepperton more than a year later, interspersed within the genuine concert footage.

We could, conceiveably, have unedited (or mostly so) album releases of the concert run, though.

The band decided to reshoot some parts at Shepperton because camerawork of the original footage was unacceptable, not because there were gaps in between filmed portions.

There's not really any proof that there were any multitracked shows from 1977. Confirmed? No.

That's disappointing. I've heard that Eddie Kramer was going to record a live album in 1977 but finally decided that the band was way too sloppy that year. However, almost everyone will agree that Led Zeppelin played some of their best concerts in the end of June 1977. Edited by Geezer