New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

@TheROver: Thanks again, but if one is gonna play HD files through CRAPPY computer speakers, then one is missing the point. I see only TWO alternatives: UPGRADE and get kick ass comp speakers (I understand SONOS is supposed to make some fantastic ones), or record the file onto a disc of some sort that would allow you to play it on an APPROPRIATE hi-fi system, but wouldn't that be defeating the purpose? Hmmm...

Edited by Trufan

It's hard to believe HDtracks is charging $30 per album. It would be cheaper to buy the Super Deluxe, use the card, then sell the remainder of the set on eBay...

That's $30 for the deluxe editions. The single albums are only $20, which is in line with their prices for most HD albums.

Also, they have a 10% promotion going, so it's $18 for the single albums and $27 for the deluxe editions.

The CDs are about $13 and $15, while the LPs are about $24 and $35-40. So the HD downloads are priced in-between. I certainly join you in wishing they were cheaper, but the pricing doesn't seem unreasonable when taken in context.

The main source of the sticker shock, IMHO, is that despite the retail price, the deluxe CDs are actually selling for just $1 or $2 more than the single CDs at most outlets. So the price spread between the deluxe CDs and the deluxe HD downloads is larger.

They are charging $139.99 here at my local record store zia record exchange.for the super deluxe box sets, I pre ordered them through soundstage direct for $114.98 each, a $75 dollar savings.

Edited by luvlz2

That's $30 for the deluxe editions. The single albums are only $20, which is in line with their prices for most HD albums.

Also, they have a 10% promotion going, so it's $18 for the single albums and $27 for the deluxe editions.

The CDs are about $13 and $15, while the LPs are about $24 and $35-40. So the HD downloads are priced in-between. I certainly join you in wishing they were cheaper, but the pricing doesn't seem unreasonable when taken in context.

The main source of the sticker shock, IMHO, is that despite the retail price, the deluxe CDs are actually selling for just $1 or $2 more than the single CDs at most outlets. So the price spread between the deluxe CDs and the deluxe HD downloads is larger.

Good points. The main source of sticker shock for me is that I'm used to buying iTunes music :)

@TheRover: (sorry, for some reason, the "quote" function is disabled on my PC) Thanks for your post, an actual INFORMATIVE, substantive one! Wow, they do exist! ;)

Seriously, while the idea of having a format that has more "info" than a CD (pardon the pun) SOUNDS great, how does one translate it into a real world setting? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this "96/24" format comes on some kind of thumb drive you plug into a computer, right? So if, like me, you have typical computer speakers, you really WON'T hear the difference, right? Thanks!

If your going to go with computer audio its worth upgrading for the new Zep, check out Audioengine powered speakers, would be a big upgrade over typical computer speakers.

@TheROver: Thanks again, but if one is gonna play HD files through CRAPPY computer speakers, then one is missing the point. I see only TWO alternatives: UPGRADE and get kick ass comp speakers (I understand SONOS is supposed to make some fantastic ones), or record the file onto a disc of some sort that would allow you to play it on an APPROPRIATE hi-fi system, but wouldn't that be defeating the purpose? Hmmm...

Theres actually multiple ways to do that. You can store the HD files on your pc and play on a regular hifi system. I'm doing that right now. Simplest way is to run a cable out of your sound output jack on the pc into the rca inputs on the amplifier. The other more expensive way is USB out to computer but then you need a digital analog converter.

Edited by Tone_Boss

Listened to companion cd's of 2 and 3, waiting on superdeluxe 1:

Extremely impressed! with quality and the out-take difference, almost like listening to new material:-)

This stuff is clearly not money making gimmickry, way to go JP!!

BTW, anyone want to but my complete studio recordings, circa 1993?

First time post. May be useful to know that the Deluxe vinyl(currently out of stock) is now available with autorip(perfect for vinyl purchases without download code) on amazon uk. So ordered last night and started listening on my Cloud Player straight away.

The MP3's (LZIII) sound great on Ipad through half decent (£150.00) headphones. I will enjoy them and let the vinyl land when it does and take the listening experience up another level in due course.

I don't know if anyone else understands the logic of autorip as I found out of Amazon that if you order prior to product being labelled for autorip you will then not automatically receive an MP3 when/if it does. I ordered the California Breed CD without autorip and it is now available for autorip and amazon, following my query, have agreed to issue me a free download as a good will gesture.

The fact that someone whose name is Trufan is even wondering about getting a physical copy shows a tremendous gift for irony. I mean, seriously...it's LED ZEPPELIN!

That's a shame, TDL. For one who shows such appreciation for the finer qualities of viny, I would have thought you would get your box sets at your local record haunt?

That sucks for all of you who are having snafus with your amazon orders, especially if you were hoping to get a numbered edition.

I knew from last night that Amoeba got tons of limited numbered editions of the Super Deluxe Box set, but after the crowds and hassles of Record Store Day back in April, I still wasn't taking chances. I got up early so I could be there right when the doors opened at 10:30am. FYI, none of the Best Buys and Targets that I checked were selling the Super Deluxe Boxes...only the regular and deluxe double-cd packages.

I'm still at work, but this will be waiting for me later tonight as I finally give Led Zeppelin I a spin.

ZepSh09B_161_582.jpg1653443-256-k874970.jpg

For the record, I am immersing myself one record at a time. Which means, Led Zeppelin will be what I listen to for the month of June. Then, for July I will break out Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III in August. Just as I had to wait and be satisfied with the one album when I first bought Led Zeppelin in 1969, I want to build up the anticipation for the next album, while still allowing myself time to fully ingest the current album.

Yes, I'm weird like that. :bagoverhead:

Sounds like a great plan, Strider! My kind of plan. I'd get into more detail, even: LZ = wine / LZII = beers / LZIII = bit of the green stuff. Still a week or two for me, though. Can't wait

It's more of a gash than a scratch in afraid. There's no sorting this. I wonder how it happened? As earlier suggested I will try to wait for the replacement before I send back to get the best number :-)

Please check your vinyls first folks.

Same here on both vinyls on Lz1 curved scratch on last 2 tracks

Going back anyway as box is damaged but i am shocked at how many people have the same problem

seems poor QC or those packing don't realise vinyl is not like a cd?????

^^Strider- I may have to follow your lead due to delivery date. I got an email this morning that the Super Deluxe I will be here by tomorrow, but II and III... it may be until June 16th and I ordered these all together the day we could order them. I know the wait will be worth it..and they better be numbered:-)

Same here on both vinyls on Lz1 curved scratch on last 2 tracks

Going back anyway as box is damaged but i am shocked at how many people have the same problem

seems poor QC or those packing don't realise vinyl is not like a cd?????

Sorry to hear that. I need to check my live zep 1 disks next. Amazon have been quick though as my replacement iii has already been delivered!

First time post. May be useful to know that the Deluxe vinyl(currently out of stock) is now available with autorip(perfect for vinyl purchases without download code) on amazon uk. So ordered last night and started listening on my Cloud Player straight away.

The MP3's (LZIII) sound great on Ipad through half decent (£150.00) headphones. I will enjoy them and let the vinyl land when it does and take the listening experience up another level in due course.

I don't know if anyone else understands the logic of autorip as I found out of Amazon that if you order prior to product being labelled for autorip you will then not automatically receive an MP3 when/if it does. I ordered the California Breed CD without autorip and it is now available for autorip and amazon, following my query, have agreed to issue me a free download as a good will gesture.

I think that happened to me on LZ1, they gave me a credit. Amazon should sort that out as customers should not be penalized for pre ordering.

For the record, I am immersing myself one record at a time. Which means, Led Zeppelin will be what I listen to for the month of June. Then, for July I will break out Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III in August. Just as I had to wait and be satisfied with the one album when I first bought Led Zeppelin in 1969, I want to build up the anticipation for the next album, while still allowing myself time to fully ingest the current album.

Actually, I like that idea. It's not weird to me. I often will listen to one show only for weeks at a time, so what you plan to do makes a lot of sense to me - so much so that I think I'll do the same. Question, though - are you going to listen to both the remaster of Led Zeppelin only the first month, or Led Zeppelin + the Companion Audio for the first month? I'm thinking one at a time for myself. Maybe not a whole month, though. Maybe two weeks of the original album, two weeks of the companion before moving on to the next. Then on to Led Zeppelin II etc. (As you might tell, though I opened the packages and savored the contents visually, I have not yet listened to anything. That pleasure starts today).

My boxes were waiting for me at the front door last night....checked everything over for any damage, scratches, etc. NOTHING BUT PERFECTION! Seriously, I haven't handled vinyl in a while - these records seem much heavier than I remember, anybody else feel the same way? I thought about showing restraint and going album by album, but Walter Jr. wanted to hear the companion disc for III - so that's where I began last night (with a tall shot of Kraken). That was unbelievable! Next I put in the companion disc for II, awesome as well. Listened to the first three songs of the Paris concert - it sounds so much better than the boot (plus no irritating French DJ in the middle of the songs). Looking forward to going through the hard covered books, press releases, etc. over the next few days. Loved the attention to detail with the wheel in the cover for III, the plastic wrap for the cd's inside the covers, the boxes themselves they came in, everything is first class, IMO. I couldn't be happier with these releases, they are everything I hoped for and more......

Eventually I plan on getting the artwork print framed, for each album, also - but that's down the line.

Just received all 3 Super Deluxe from MusicDirect.com....As of yesterday they still had stk on all...Havent had a chance to open and inspect just yet...Ea is enclosed in the box that shipped from the distributor or direct from Pallas and then Music.direct enclosed all in a larger box with additional paper...