New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I could be wrong, but I believe the Davis remaster of "In the Light" features an earlier fade-in.

:yesnod:

On the Davis remaster you hear Page bowing for two or three seconds, then there's a break in the sound when the bow changes directions. On the "Cube" set, the fade is immediately after the break.

Cool promo, Sam! I was really hoping I'd see some "The Effect Is Shattering" posters with these releases, but I guess they're holding those back for Houses of the Holy. ;)

:yesnod:

On the Davis remaster you hear Page bowing for two or three seconds, then there's a break in the sound when the bow changes directions. On the "Cube" set, the fade is immediately after the break.

Sweet, sweet confirmation. :P

As much as I'm liking the Olympia concert companion disc, I would have loved the opportunity to hear a different recording of ICQYB. Imagining a variation/different JP solo for that song creates goose bumps

a al the SIBLY companion version.

Dave Grohl also forgot the lyrics, should of let Hawkins sing both as he did a very good job on RnR.

Imo...they both over sang the songs and really sucked vocally. They Tried to be Robert Plant - ish and totally ruined both efforts.

Dave Grohl's singing has its charm. And I do very much like Taylor Hawkins' singing, e.g. Coattail Riders. But in my blog post all I was saying was that I liked how JP handled the guitar for that particular rendition of Ramble On (with Foo Fighters at Wembley) compared to how it sounded on the LZII remaster. I think JP brought new expression to Ramble On in the later performances that really brought out more to it (including O2), singers aside.

PS - I didn't particularly like Robert Plant's rendition of Ramble on at O2. <shrug> It's all personal opinion.

Yeah, it was still in the cardboard box it was shipped in, with the foam around it. I never took it out. The cashier was all set to do the exchange. She didn't know exactly how to enter it into the computer, so she called the manager over for help. He's the guy that nixed it. I told him I would shell out the $129.99 in cash for LZII, as long as he would credit me the difference. He said he couldn't do it.

Well, here's today's chapter to this bizarre saga : I got an email this AM saying that there will be a delay in my shipment of LZII. I checked my order & there was a link called "Find in store". I put my zip code in the box & clicked. It says I can pick up my order of LZII at the same store I was just at, the one that said they couldn't exchange it for me ! I'd go there, again, to see if I'd be lucky this time, but I noticed that the email said they would ship the rest of the order w/o LZII. Maybe I'll wind up with an extra LZI & LZIII ! ! !

Many of us have had the new material for at least a week. I for one haven't listened to this much Zeppelin in such a short time for quite awhile. And I'm not burned out on it yet!

And as great as these first three are, I'm already hungry for the fourth album and HOTH. As I listened to the new stuff, in the back of my mind, I kept imagining "Levee", "Rain Song" and "Over the Hills" in HD. :)

So...when do we expect Mr. Page to start talking about the next two? I would assume another 3-month build up, so, given an anticipated Oct. release, I would predict the first announcements in about five weeks (mid July).

Thoughts?

Many of us have had the new material for at least a week. I for one haven't listened to this much Zeppelin in such a short time for quite awhile. And I'm not burned out on it yet!

And as great as these first three are, I'm already hungry for the fourth album and HOTH. As I listened to the new stuff, in the back of my mind, I kept imagining "Levee", "Rain Song" and "Over the Hills" in HD. :)

So...when do we expect Mr. Page to start talking about the next two? I would assume another 3-month build up, so, given an anticipated Oct. release, I would predict the first announcements in about five weeks (mid July).

Thoughts?

Assuming the October date is (still) correct, I believe you're right in your assumptions.

All 3 of my SDBS came in Monday, June 9, even though they shipped a day apart both boxes arrived the same day from Amazon Canada (I and III in one box and II in another). All 3 are numbered, I is 10,000s, II is 24,000s and III is 12,000s.

I cannot be more pleased with the quality and sound, only listened to the vinyls so far but: "mind....blown". I can only imagine how fast my face will melt when I DL the HD tracks and burn to DVD-A. Kinda confused why there is not a physical HD release, I would have shelled out more money to Mr Page and gang but whatever I will take the free DLs with the box sets, much better than a flimsy scarf and marble.

Just a note on differences I noticed in my 3 sets, I and III are identical and numbered 10k and 12k so pretty close, but the II numbered at 24k has some slight differences. First, the I and III box sets the CDs are NOT sealed in plastic wrap, but II the CDs were sealed. None of the LPs were sealed (not a biggie but somewhat surprising they did not shrink the LPs inside the boxes). On the HD DL cards the code is typed in a smaller font on the Zep II code. Also the outer brown cardboard boxes they shipped in (the one with the foam inside, BTW super nice touch had some sweet vinyl orders ruined by insuffient packing on pretty limited LPs in the past), 1 and 3 had WARNER on the sticker in big letters, and II did not just smaller text.

Anywoo all my vinyl is in perfect flat condition no warps no non-fill issues and no snaps, crackles or pops, sounded so warm and fuzzy I am truly impressed and I am a bit of a douche when it comes to new vinyl releases, so many have small issues that I live with but I have had to send back several releases over the last few years, paying $30-$50 for an LP and it has non-fill or warping out of the shink is unacceptable (or the USA Beatles box which had a potpourri of everything wrong with it).

One thing I kinda was disappointed in was Zep II LP jacket is not textured and not as thick as the original, not a biggie just would have been a sweet touch.

I wonder how they will treat ITTOD, in a paper bag I presume (come on Jimmy!) and 1 of 5 covers, 30000 numbered boxes with 6000 of each cover maybe? (hello, ebay!) I predict more like one standard LP cover, and 5 art prints in that box.

Also must comment on the schwag people are scoing at the BM stores, I would LOVE a turntable mat and that blimp, too bad there are no inflatable blimps (yet anyways).

Or an inflatable mud shark.....of a vibrating mud shark.

Another small difference between my I and III box sets compared to II box set is the CDs in I and III have a clear plastic inner sleeve only, the II set has both a plastic sleeve and a white paper sleeve. Guess they tweaked some things in mid-run.

I am also curious if the numbered prints correspond at all to the vinyl print run. In other words, if you have art print number 00150 do you have one of the first of the vinyls printed? I am assuming it is random but you know on serial numbered vinyl like DCC everyone wants the early pressings with low numbers (check ebay prices, and look at original beatles white albums with serials).

Also I wonder if the SDBS got the first 30,000 vinyl and then they printed the regular vinyl releases or if it was all just random. Anyone with inside info on this? Since its digitally sourced does it even matter any more compared to when they did LE 5000 print runs from original source tapes and audiophiles said the earlier the pressing the more pure the sound?

PS-Moby Dick on vinyl at loud volumes on a decent stereo was a revelation to me. Close my eyes and I swear Bonzo is in front of me, you can really feel the dynamics. on Thank You the fade out and fade back in the keyboards are so crystal clear. IMO I still find WLL to still be a little muddy and busy on the vinyl. I will have to compare to the Classic Records edition on WLL. This is just my opinion it is probably the original source since Lemon Song on the same side same vinyl sounds crystal clear, all of Zep II sounds like a layer of grime was cleaned off of it (I think someone else said this as well).

I am quite sure once I download the HD tracks the CDs and LPs will be just about obsolete.....

Congrats on the delivery. A lot to enjoy.

I have SDBS 1 and the cd's had 2 sleeves, paper and plastic.(#15k)

If you don't mind me asking, what stereo system(turntable) are you running for the vinyl?

Why dvd? and how does the quality of the HD download compare to the cd? I just thought it was a convenient transfer to your ipod/portable device.

Thoughts?

Can you imagine how difficult it must be for Jimmy not to release them all at once...or talk about all of them during the recent interviews! He has got to be excited, knowing what lies ahead for the eager fans!

Can you imagine how difficult it must be for Jimmy not to release them all at once...or talk about all of them during the recent interviews! He has got to be excited, knowing what lies ahead for the eager fans!

No doubt about it. I wonder if the next round of "marketing" will be as busy. That kind of effort can take a toll on a 70-year-old rocker.

If you don't mind me asking, what stereo system(turntable) are you running for the vinyl?

Why dvd? and how does the quality of the HD download compare to the cd? I just thought it was a convenient transfer to your ipod/portable device.

The HD files contain too much info to fit on a CD, so you need to burn them on a DVD.

No clue where I'd put these ARTIST'S PREDICTIONS of Jimmy's theme with the SDBS. but since I figure the official themes will eventually find their way here, I figured I'd put these up just for visualization? I remade the first three so as to get a reference.

post-28179-0-71936100-1402596225_thumb.jpost-28179-0-09256000-1402596211_thumb.j

post-28179-0-62344100-1402596216_thumb.jpost-28179-0-56222900-1402596221_thumb.j

post-28179-0-99275200-1402596201_thumb.jpost-28179-0-26240000-1402596231_thumb.j

post-28179-0-71103000-1402596234_thumb.jpost-28179-0-93132200-1402596206_thumb.j

post-28179-0-13205900-1402596197_thumb.j

Really like what Jimmy started with the first three boxes. i hope this isn't too far from reality. these colors would look brilliant all lined up on a shelf.

Nice work. I can't imagine Houses NOT being some variant of orange. For PG, I'm thinking a rich gray/charcoal, to match the building. I could see green for the fourth album...I wonder if a pale green would work.

Presence...I could see white again, or black, but will the colors repeat?

^^^ thanks man, i used blue for PG just because I can't see that color NOT being used somewhere (Presnece even for the water in the back?), but i thought the Brown/Charcoal looked too similar to II and I wanted to stay away from repeat color uses. III is technically an off-white, so a pure white for Presence is still likely, but again, the color i chose was just for variation and to please the eye.

I reallllly hope they use green for IV. it looks great, imo.

For my turntable I have a Music Hall MMF-7 on my modern system, I have an old system with a Thorens but it is starting to sound its age (late 70s). Through B&W Speakers on both systems.

For the DVD-A I prefer to have a disc, I will DL the hi-res to my PC and I have that direct hooked up to my home office system (Denon, Thorens & B&W with a good ol' technics MASH CD player and Technics tape deck) I have it linked by Optical (toslink) so the sound is pretty good direct from the PC. I have my entire library on the PC in WAV Lossless (47,000+ songs) and mostly just play off that in my 2 upstairs systems (my amp has a ZONE 1 and ZONE 2). However my better system is in the basement in my "lounge" which I need a disc for the DVD player. I do not own any ipods or any MP3 gadgets, I am somewhat anti-Apple. Steve Jobs loved vinyl and sound quality, and almost ruined the music business with the MP3 and buying single tracks (Sure, someone else would have come up with it but....Jobs was a vinyl enthusiast, somewhat ironic).

Imagine if when Zeppelin II came out you could have bought JUST Whole Lotta Love for about 10 cents and the ringtone for your phone.....

I prefer a jacket with photos and liner notes, something to hold and feel and smell. A song list intended by the artist and listen to the whole album. I go to garage sales still to this day and still score some choice vinyl (except a lot of hipster kids buying it all up nowadays), and lots of great CDs for $1 each and under. Few weeks ago I got the "No Introduction Necessary" CD for 1.00, can't beat that!

Don't want to hi-jack the thread but what turntables/setups are other people enjoying their new Zep Vinyl on?

Anyone do a back-to-back comparison yet with the Classic Records editions? I have them but no time yet to sit down and compare. But back to back on CD the new ones are stunning compared to the Marinos and even the Diaments (which were the CD versions I preferred until this week). The SHM japan Mini LP CD Box from around 2008 was decent but the marino mixes are just not as good as Diaments 80s mixes for Atlantic IMO, I know Jimmy helped produced the Marinos buit this is my opinion.

It does seem that all the "problems" from both the Diaments and Marinos have been fixed here, so Jimmy clearly listened to the CDs and the complaints over 30 years (early fade outs, volume issues, BIGLU channels are switched back to original like the vinyl, etc.)

I am picturing gray for IV, your HOTH is bang on, a darker brown than II for PG, your ITTOD is bang on, but who knows for Presence and Coda, if he repeats colors both could be gray (darker gray for coda like the text, and light gray for presence), presence could also be black. Your coda color makes sense too matching the line. I agree green would be cool for IV but IV cover always gave me a rainy gloomy day feel from the back cover photo.....

I trust IV will have LED ZEPPELIN on the spine with the 4 symbols only, NOT IV or untitled.

Archived