New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

A couple dates to consider:

• In the U.S., Jimmy's non-limited autobiography will be released on Tuesday, Oct. 14. What are the chances the remastered 4th and HOTH are also released that day? Is he more likely or less likely to release the audio the same day as the book?
  • Physical Graffiti celebrates its 40th anniversary on Feb. 24th, a Tuesday--the day new music is released in the U.S. What are the chances Jimmy releases PG and Presence that day (and around that day for other markets)? I don't know that Jimmy necessarily keeps track of dates/anniversaries.

A couple dates to consider:

• In the U.S., Jimmy's non-limited autobiography will be released on Tuesday, Oct. 14. What are the chances the remastered 4th and HOTH are also released that day? Is he more likely or less likely to release the audio the same day as the book?
  • Physical Graffiti celebrates its 40th anniversary on Feb. 24th, a Tuesday--the day new music is released in the U.S. What are the chances Jimmy releases PG and Presence that day (and around that day for other markets)? I don't know that Jimmy necessarily keeps track of dates/anniversaries.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next two releases coincide (at least about the same time) as Jimmy's "autobiography," but I'm less convinced re: the 40th anniversary of Physical Graffiti...the only real anniversary they've celebrated was that commemorative "Stairway to Heaven" single years ago, and the 40th anniversary of the band's formation passed with the slightly retouched "Definitive Collection" box set...

I wouldn't be surprised if the next two releases coincide (at least about the same time) as Jimmy's "autobiography," but I'm less convinced re: the 40th anniversary of Physical Graffiti...the only real anniversary they've celebrated was that commemorative "Stairway to Heaven" single years ago, and the 40th anniversary of the band's formation passed with the slightly retouched "Definitive Collection" box set...

I also think the releases with be around the time of the book in October.

I would not be surprised that this is Jimmy's plan as I did read early next year. Yes, PG was released on 2/24. That would be perfect and so much fun to be on its birthday. Also Presance was released in March (3/31/76) ,as in pictures from Jimmy's interviews in his striped suit that were taken in March where he is promoting Presance. Maybe this will mean that possibly In Through the Out Door would be released next August 2015 to conincide with it's release date?

I also think the releases with be around the time of the book in October.

I would not be surprised that this is Jimmy's plan as I did read early next year. Yes, PG was released on 2/24. That would be perfect and so much fun to be on its birthday. Also Presance was released in March (3/31/76) ,as in pictures from Jimmy's interviews in his striped suit that were taken in March where he is promoting Presance. Maybe this will mean that possibly In Through the Out Door would be released next August 2015 to conincide with it's release date?

But don't you see the slippery slope there? Why weren't any of the first three albums re-released near any of their anniversaries?

But don't you see the slippery slope there? Why weren't any of the first three albums re-released near any of their anniversaries?

No, but wasn't the idea to have them all out by next year? I thought I had seen that.

I guess I'll be one of the last Led Zeppelin fans on earth, to receive a copy of the Deluxe editions of Led Zeppelin I, II and III (will sadly, be receiving it only on the 7th of July), but I guess it's worth the wait! :)

Also, since Untitled (aka SOZO aka 'Led Zeppelin IV'), Physical Graffiti and Presence happen to be my fav albums, I am hoping to get my hands on the Super Deluxe box sets, when the time comes.

Has anybody seen posters or pictures of the alternate covers? I'd love something with the alternate Led Zeppelin III cover, even if it was just a postcard or a mug...

There have been some promo materials (mats, cards and stuff) given out to some retailers.

So, speculation time for the rest of the albums ? Will be interesting to see Physical Graffiti....

As you mentioned PG, I would expect a "full" companion disc, i.e. 70+ minutes. Could be all sorts of things on there as I expect a wealth of material is available, but I would look for a possible early acoustic take of 'The Rover', an alternate version of 'Trampled Under Foot', an instrumental Kashmir, the 'In The Morning' version of 'In The Light', an early take of 'Down By The Seaside', an alternate version of 'Sick Again' plus one of the short versions of the unreleased 'Swan Song'.

As you mentioned PG, I would expect a "full" companion disc, i.e. 70+ minutes. Could be all sorts of things on there as I expect a wealth of material is available, but I would look for a possible early acoustic take of 'The Rover', an alternate version of 'Trampled Under Foot', an instrumental Kashmir, the 'In The Morning' version of 'In The Light', an early take of 'Down By The Seaside', an alternate version of 'Sick Again' plus one of the short versions of the unreleased 'Swan Song'.

I don't care much for the released version of "Trampled," but really like the funky (literally) outtakes on "Brutal Artistry". There should be plenty from PG to share...question is, how much will Mr. Page want to avoid stuff readily available?

I don't care much for the released version of "Trampled," but really like the funky (literally) outtakes on "Brutal Artistry". There should be plenty from PG to share...question is, how much will Mr. Page want to avoid stuff readily available?

I've heard Jimmy say about the Deluxe Edition of III that there's some material that HAS to go on there because of importance and/or quality (i.e. Jennings Farm Blues), BUT he said he wants to avoid things that are readily available as a bootleg. And of course Jimmy can really amp up the quality of recordings available as bootlegs (again like Jennings Farm Blues.) So IMO I would imagine Swan Song, In The Morning, and maybe an alternate take of Trampled Underfoot would definitely be on there because of the completeness and importance of the recordings. And then of course we've got the other surprises Jimmy's got in store for us...

I've heard Jimmy say about the Deluxe Edition of III that there's some material that HAS to go on there because of importance and/or quality (i.e. Jennings Farm Blues), BUT he said he wants to avoid things that are readily available as a bootleg. And of course Jimmy can really amp up the quality of recordings available as bootlegs (again like Jennings Farm Blues.) So IMO I would imagine Swan Song, In The Morning, and maybe an alternate take of Trampled Underfoot would definitely be on there because of the completeness and importance of the recordings. And then of course we've got the other surprises Jimmy's got in store for us...

A very reasonable assessment.

PG is the one I can't wait for the most. It will hopfully have Swan Song and maybe it will include the unidenfied jams that are on Brutal Artistry. There is also the intersting track of a man talking/ singing? with a little girl. I have always wondered if it was Jimmy and Scarlet or Jonsey and one of his daughters.

There is also the intersting track of a man talking/ singing? with a little girl. I have always wondered if it was Jimmy and Scarlet or Jonsey and one of his daughters.

I think I know the track to which you refer. As I recall it's possibly it's the ABC song, or a recitation of the ABCs? Anyway, when discussed years and years ago the consensus was it was not a legitimate Physical Graffiti outtake because the sound quality of the recording was noticeably superior to that of all the other PG outtakes released with it. On the other hand, it's hard for anyone outside of the band to say

for certain. So if I had to guess - and I will - I'd say it could be JPJ and his daughter Jacinda. It's been too many years since I last heard it.

I think I know the track to which you refer. As I recall it's possibly it's the ABC song, or a recitation of the ABCs? Anyway, when discussed years and years ago the consensus was it was not a legitimate Physical Graffiti outtake because the sound quality of the recording was noticeably superior to that of all the other PG outtakes released with it. On the other hand, it's hard for anyone outside of the band to say

for certain. So if I had to guess - and I will - I'd say it could be JPJ and his daughter Jacinda. It's been too many years since I last heard it.

I seem to think it was the ABC song. It has also been a long time. It comes right after the 'jam' and is not identified. It doesn't quite sound like Jimmy so it maybe JPJ. Maybe it will resurface with the boxset. I have never heard it mentioned before but was always curious by it. It was so different from anything else.

Did someone on here post last week that their CDs in the II super deluxe were not shrink wrapped, but were wrapped in III (or perhaps vice-versa)? What have others seen with the CDs (wrapped or not wrapped)?

The two CDs with the first album SDBS I got were sealed.

Also...I assume the jackets/sleeves for CDs in II and III are single style, i.e., no gatefold (can't tell from the SDBS images). Is that right? Does III have the spinning wheel?

Thanks in advance.

I have the deluxe III cd and it has a miniature spinning wheel. I don't recall shrink wrappage on SD I

Each of my boxes and each cd inside of the boxes were shrink wrapped. Nothing else was.

I have only opened the first album SDBS...book, cds were individually shrink wrapped, but not the vinyl or the press kit.

Sorry to sound a little catty here, but there's been a whole lotta reporting on delivery and packaging, on download numbers and photos and text -- and not so much on the music itself.

I know there are people who are musically educated and fluent in the language of music who could talk about the the remasters from that point of view and I am begging you to speak up about what you are thinking!

Thanks in advance!

Music discussion and anything else related to listener's opinion of these new remasters, whether it is the music or the packaging, are happening here:

Led Zeppelin I: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/21646-remastered-led-zeppelin-i-post-your-reactionsreviews-here/

Led Zeppelin II: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/21645-remastered-led-zeppelin-ii-post-your-reactionsreviews-here/

Led Zeppelin III: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/21644-remastered-led-zeppelin-iii-post-your-reactionsreviews-here/

I seem to think it was the ABC song. It has also been a long time. It comes right after the 'jam' and is not identified. It doesn't quite sound like Jimmy so it maybe JPJ. Maybe it will resurface with the boxset. I have never heard it mentioned before but was always curious by it. It was so different from anything else.

I have it on a mid-1980s vinyl bootleg. I shall attempt to confirm which one and see if I have any other notes on file.

Edited to add: Here's a link to the ABC Song reputedly performed by Led Zeppelin. Interestingly enough, this is not the Led Zeppelin ABC recitation recording from the mid-1980s vinyl bootleg that I am referring to.

http://ledzeppelinbootlegs.bandcamp.com/track/abc-song

^ I know what version you're referring too, Steve. I have a copy of it somewhere, buried away with the others.

I'm convinced it's JPJ's.

Simply saying each letter as she (a little girl) repeats behind him.

Kinda cute - I must find it now.

Yes! That's the recording I'm referring too. Going from memory it's possibly on 1980s-era In Through The Outtakes bootleg vinyl album.

I have it on a mid-1980s vinyl bootleg. I shall attempt to confirm which one and see if I have any other notes on file.

Edited to add: Here's a link to the ABC Song reputedly performed by Led Zeppelin. Interestingly enough, this is not the Led Zeppelin ABC recitation recording from the mid-1980s vinyl bootleg that I am referring to.

http://ledzeppelinbootlegs.bandcamp.com/track/abc-song

That's interesting, thanks for the link Steve. Geez, I really can't identify that voice as any of them! I suppose if it's any of them, it's Jones...

Archived