POSSIBLE TOUR RUMORS/ANNOUNCENTS THREAD

madison

personally I think Michael Lee is a much better drummer than Jason Bonham, I'd prefer to see him tour with the band than Grohl and Bonham, purely on the basis of ability

contraversial I know, correct too.

I think -michael lee is great too and have said on the -dave grohl threads, that if one wants to hear -zeppelin songs w/a dave grohl sound...listen to -page/plant w/michael lee on drums.

With the current show in -london, -led zeppelin had a focused, solid sound. The songs were scaled back, less stretching and room. With this approach, -jason was great and the days of 1/2hr -zeppelin songs are long over anyway. Also this was only one show, i havent followed -jason's work with -foreigner or -ufo, but he has obviously become a very good drummer.

don't get me wrong, he's come a long way since the Hall of Fame gig, but if anyone thinks Jason Bonham was behind the drums for any other reasons than sentimental ones then you're kidding yourself. Decent drummer, yes, great drummer, absolutely not I'm afraid.

I'll be fair, he's got a hell of a lot to live up to and not many, if anyone, could. Michael Lee was fantastic on the Page/Plant tour and has many more stings to his bow than Bonham

don't get me wrong, he's come a long way since the Hall of Fame gig, but if anyone thinks Jason Bonham was behind the drums for any other reasons than sentimental ones then you're kidding yourself. Decent drummer, yes, great drummer, absolutely not I'm afraid.

I'll be fair, he's got a hell of a lot to live up to and not many, if anyone, could. Michael Lee was fantastic on the Page/Plant tour and has many more stings to his bow than Bonham

If -jason wasnt playing as well as he is now, -page/plant/jones wouldnt have played with him under the name -led zeppelin. Thankfully jason is a good drummer and he is -john bonham's son. That only adds to this particular reunion imo.

I agree that -page/plant w/michael lee was great. That was 10yrs plus ago now...and i don't think a current -led zep would tour like -page/plant did in 95 and 98.

deluded, they played with him because he is capable and John's son, the end.

You're talking like Jason is one of the best drummers available for a Zep tour, sorry but all sentimantality to one side, he just isn't.

I think -michael lee is a better drummer too... but its not like -jason bonham was groomed to be a -led zeppelin drummer like some political family grooming their kids to be politicians. Its a circumstance that -john bonham passed away and if they want to play under the name led zeppelin and choose to play with -jason, then thats what it is. Yeah there is a thousand "best drummers" and -michael lee and -dave grohl are great drummers.

I think -michael lee is a better drummer too... but its not like -jason bonham was groomed to be a -led zeppelin drummer like some political family grooming their kids to be politicians. Its a circumstance that -john bonham passed away and if they want to play under the name led zeppelin and choose to play with -jason, then thats what it is. Yeah there is a thousand "best drummers" and -michael lee and -dave grohl are great drummers.

you're semi arguing with me without actually making a point, well done.

I never said anything about being groomed or auditioning, my first post on this subject was purely about Jason Bonham being behind the kit solely because he is John Bonham's son. Fair enough. For a tour, though, I would like to see Michael Lee on the drums because technically he is a better drummer's all.

It really isn't that difficult.

you're semi arguing with me without actually making a point, well done.

I never said anything about being groomed or auditioning, my first post on this subject was purely about Jason Bonham being behind the kit solely because he is John Bonham's son. Fair enough. For a tour, though, I would like to see Michael Lee on the drums because technically he is a better drummer's all.

It really isn't that difficult.

Actually just stating my opinion about the -led zep show with -jason bonham on drums, as this was discussed on several threads -"before" the show. I see that you want to argue and i respect your opinion on -michael lee. My point is the fact that -page/plant/jones played as -led zep with jason on drums and i could see them doing more shows, a limited tour or whatever, with -jason and it being as good as the o2 show, especially with their current approach to zeppelin songs. This is an older -page/plant/jones...no more long jams etc. and there is no need for a technically perfect drummer. In a way, its a step further into the direction where they were headed in 1980, scaling things back, getting back to basics. At this point in their lives, its especially a good way for them to be playing and -jason is a good drummer for that approach. They dont need a michael lee or dave grohl approach with technical flash.

I didn't want to argue about anything. Seriously, and I don't mean to be rude/xenophobic/racist here, but the fact you cant understand a simple point and your awful punctuation is that an American trait?

Don't answer that, you'll start harping on about auditions and grooming or something as if that was something I was talking about.

Actually just stating my opinion about the -led zep show with -jason bonham on drums, as this was discussed on several threads -"before" the show. I see that you want to argue and i respect your opinion on -michael lee. My point is the fact that -page/plant/jones played as -led zep with jason on drums and i could see them doing more shows, a limited tour or whatever, with -jason and it being as good as the o2 show, especially with their current approach to zeppelin songs. This is an older -page/plant/jones...no more long jams etc. and there is no need for a technically perfect drummer. In a way, its a step further into the direction where they were headed in 1980, scaling things back, getting back to basics. At this point in their lives, its especially a good way for them to be playing and -jason is a good drummer for that approach. They dont need a michael lee or dave grohl approach with technical flash.

Oh and this is some of the biggest load of garbage I've ever read, by the way. Well done for that.

They're too old to jam now, yeah, too old for that nonsense. It's got nothing to do with the fact that they have a tecnically limited drummer who hasn't the ability to jam with them, no nothing to do with that. (That's sarcasm by the way). Yeah, they're too old to jam, oh they could still do a world tour though yeah, they're not too old for that.

Jesus christ. I registered here because I thought it might have an informed, adult and reasonably intelligent community. How wrong was I?!

deluded, they played with him because he is capable and John's son, the end.

You're talking like Jason is one of the best drummers available for a Zep tour, sorry but all sentimantality to one side, he just isn't.

I think your missing the point. It isn't about the best drummer available for a Zep tour,

it's about who is the RIGHT drummer. Jason is the right drummer.

no, ability-wise, Michael Lee is a better drummer - FACT

umm. I dont know about this comment. Michael Lee never did anything that WOW-ed me at all. Jason has. And I know quite a bit about drumming and technical skill. Not to say that Michael Lee isnt any good -- he is definately a very good drummer. NOT SO SURE, however, if he is as good as Jason Bonham.

Jason also has a mountain of knowledge when it comes to his dad's drumming. He understands it and feels it better than anyone --- even if he cant execute it absolutely perfectly (NO ONE CAN). Were you there or have you listened to the O2 show at all? Even Jason's minor miscues here and there (there were a small few of em) were so much like John Bonham that it was scary!

Jason is the only person for the job and its ridiculous that anyone thinks otherwise. Blasphemy, I think!

Jason got the call because of his name, but if he wasn't so good in rehearsal they probably wouldn't have expanded the set to 2 hours or even considered a tour.

but come on, Jason Bonham drummed at the O2 because he fits with the way they were going as a band and not purely because he's John's son? if you think that you are absolutely deluded.

Jason is an AMAZING drummer, listen to the O2 bootleg for God's sake!

Without him, granted, they probably wouldn't have used the name "Led Zeppelin" and having a Bonham looks good but if they were called "Page/Plant/Jones" the gig would still have got 20 million hits and they wanted to do one last amazing show, if Jason was crap, they wouldnt have picked him.

Jason played brilliantly at the O2, the critics raved about him, I've heard the bootleg and he was phenomonal.

To tour without Jason would be a big let down as he is 25% of the reason that the O2 gig was a complete success.

Dave Grohl is not the man for the job.

Nothing better when some new user comes on here spouting nothing but pure opinion, labeling it fact, then chastising people who contradict him and write crap like "I thought it might have an informed, adult and reasonably intelligent community" after saying pure bullshit one post earlier saying "I don't mean to be rude/xenophobic/racist here, but the fact you cant understand a simple point and your awful punctuation is that an American trait?". Nice, nil. Or is it Zero? Or which guise are you planning on using next after you get banned again?

Frankly, if you think Jason Bonham was only a nostalgic choice, YOU are deluded. In interviews leading up to the gig, all three members cited Jason's "encyclopedic knowledge" of the LIVE Zeppelin catalog for the reason this was going off so well. They said HE was the one who remembered how to segue between songs and passages. Plant went so far as to say Jason was the reason it was exciting and working.

Why don't YOU read a little bit before you make your assnine assumptions, nil. The FACT is Plant/Page/Jones had their choice of any drummer in the world because of they are LED FUCKING ZEPPELIN (to borrow from Grohl).

They chose Jason Bonham.

Not Dave Grohl. Not Michael Lee. Not Neil Peart. Not Ginger Baker.

And it was their decision. Not yours. Grow up, lil child.

Oh, and I'm not only a proud American, but one who can use proper punctuation perfectly, prick. And I am not afraid to use consonance to counter your assholenance.

http://www.gigwise.com/news?contentid=39680

To ditch Jason after the O2 show would be disgraceful, and I dont believe that it would happen. Even though Dave would be great, if Zeppelin tour its got to be Jason on the kit. It wouldnt be right if it wasnt, for me.

ditto that!

except i don't think Dave G. is a match in any case.

Jason is good.....He plays the tunes like he's been waiting all his life for this gig and you can't replace this type of intensity so easily. He drumming is more straght ahead than I expected but still he's a hard hitter and I find it hard not to like him. Not to mention his excellent vocals that appear to be spot on and a great addition to the show. As far as the jams go, The Cream tour was much the same and they had Baker, their origional drummer so it's hard to say why this is occuring in this geriatric genre. Don't forget that these guys had mega stage muscles back in the day and it's hard to reach that in a gig or 2 or 3. Plus, everyone was very, very, very, very, very stoned when Zep was in their prime.

Nothing better when some new user comes on here spouting nothing but pure opinion, labeling it fact, then chastising people who contradict him and write crap like "I thought it might have an informed, adult and reasonably intelligent community" after saying pure bullshit one post earlier saying "I don't mean to be rude/xenophobic/racist here, but the fact you cant understand a simple point and your awful punctuation is that an American trait?". Nice, nil. Or is it Zero? Or which guise are you planning on using next after you get banned again?

Frankly, if you think Jason Bonham was only a nostalgic choice, YOU are deluded. In interviews leading up to the gig, all three members cited Jason's "encyclopedic knowledge" of the LIVE Zeppelin catalog for the reason this was going off so well. They said HE was the one who remembered how to segue between songs and passages. Plant went so far as to say Jason was the reason it was exciting and working.

Why don't YOU read a little bit before you make your assnine assumptions, nil. The FACT is Plant/Page/Jones had their choice of any drummer in the world because of they are LED FUCKING ZEPPELIN (to borrow from Grohl).

They chose Jason Bonham.

Not Dave Grohl. Not Michael Lee. Not Neil Peart. Not Ginger Baker.

And it was their decision. Not yours. Grow up, lil child.

Oh, and I'm not only a proud American, but one who can use proper punctuation perfectly, prick. And I am not afraid to use consonance to counter your assholenance.

Right on. :thumbsup:

Archived