Favorite Smell

chillumpuffer

Nothing evokes the memories like the smell sense. I have just mowed the lawn at CP towers and the smell of cut grass reminds me of long hot summer days. Here are a few of my favourite smells. What's in your nose memories?

Rosemary

A log fire

A BBQ ( at a distance)

My all time fav. An Amsterdam Coffee Shop

Of course my good man. I have just cured my Californian Orange bud which smells outstanding. When the lid comes off the jar you can smell it all over the house. A heady skunky aroma with citrus notes :D

Years ago, when I did my indoor farming, I never could get my buds to smell like that. They always had an earthy/ammonia like smell to them. Do you know what causes this ?

Years ago, when I did my indoor farming, I never could get my buds to smell like that. They always had an earthy/ammonia like smell to them. Do you know what causes this ?

Sure Mickey. You hadn't dried the buds properly/or you had **bud rot - which is down to too much humidity. When your buds are ready they need to be dried in a completely dark area ( preferably with a fan on - but not on the buds as this dries them too quickly). You need to dry them for @ 5-9 days depending on the size of the buds. When they feel dry and you can bend the stems without snapping then they are ready. Now this is the really important part. Put the little beauties in an airtight jar. The ones that snap shut with a rubber seal on them. Every 3 to 4 hours (not when your asleep obviously) open the jar for about 15 mins. Do this for at least 2 weeks. Then do the same once a day for a week. The buds will be dry to the touch and fluffy and will smell great. These wondrous bundles of joy will keep for months to come.

** Bud rot. Too much humidity and not enough air when the plant starts to bud. This nasty enemy of the indoor garden is easily avoided with a fan to circulate the air and a constant flow of fresh air to reduce the amount of humidity.

Nowadays with the emphasis on feminized seeds and strains which are hardy to diseases and pests, the indoor green fingered amongst us can produce top quality 'erb surprisingly easily.

Next topic: How to prune a plum tree. :lol:

When I was a kid fishing on the old ferry slips I loved the smell of the creosote on the pilings.

I also loved the smell of the pile driver diesel fumes from the construction sites.

Also, the smell of the salt water by the ocean. :)

A mowed lawn, sea air, popcorn in a cinema (even though I don't eat the stuff), freshly laundered clothes just off the clothes line and creamy caramel yankee candles.

• live Christmas tree in the house
  • DEFINITELY that strong smell of potent, sticky buds
  • bacon cooking
  • rain

Oddly, as a kid, I loved the smell of gasoline, but now I despise it, particularly if I accidentally get it on my hands or clothes.

Thanks, Chill. Due to circumstances, I had the whole operation down in the cellar. I knew about the fan thing, but I guess a dehumidifier would have been in order also. I had to stop growing due to urine testing at work. Now, l have two grandchildren in the house.....Maybe when NYS comes to it's senses, I'll try it out again. Nothing like a harvest 3X a year !

BTW, the strains I grew were Skunk #1 & Haze/Northern Lights 5.

The first thought that came to mind when I read this thread title, which stands alone above all others, is the fresh, clean smell of the Pacific ocean.

But also the scent of cutting into a fresh lime, coriander, basil, lemon myrtle and the flower of a white and yellow frangipani.

I'll also never forget the delicious, salivating aroma of walking past a Devonshire pasty shop.

Archived