Backing Vocals on Thank You

Today I was listening to Thank You, and for some reason, I could hear the backing vocals more prominently than I ever have before (possibly due to listening through my computer speakers rather than my main stereo speakers).

To my ears, the other voice singing the line, "little drops of rain, whisper of the pain" (which comes through almost louder than Plant's voice) belongs to Bonham. However, it is Page that is listed as the backing vocals of the song on its Wikipedia page.

Anyone know who it is?

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

According to Led Zeppelin: All the Songs, it is Bonham on backing vocal.

Don't think so,  It doesn't sound like Bonham to me but here is what the wiki says

Personnel[edit]

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:34 PM, hummingbird69 said:

Don't think so,  It doesn't sound like Bonham to me but here is what the wiki says

Personnel[edit]

That little word in brackets next to Personnel [edit]. That's the trouble with Wiki, anyone can edit anything they like. for instance. I just did this.

Personnel[edit]

From the companion book of the LZ II super deluxe box:

Description of  the Thank You mastertape:  audio track nr. 6: backing vocals 1, audio track nr .7: lead vocals & audio track nr. 8: backing vocals 2

This doesn´t necessarily mean that both Pagey & Bonzo did the backing vocals, most likely Robert did one of the backing vocals.

To my ears it is Jimmy.

It's a gentle sounding voice that sounds similar to the voice on Jimmy Page's single "She Just Satisfies."  I've heard Robert Plant say that John Bonham had a good singing voice but I don't know if I've ever heard it.  I also don't think its John Paul Johns because it doesn't sound similar to his singing on the Thunder Thief album.  So I'm voting Mr. Page.

6 hours ago, mrlowry said:

It's a gentle sounding voice that sounds similar to the voice on Jimmy Page's single "She Just Satisfies."  I've heard Robert Plant say that John Bonham had a good singing voice but I don't know if I've ever heard it.  I also don't think its John Paul Johns because it doesn't sound similar to his singing on the Thunder Thief album.  So I'm voting Mr. Page.

You can hear Bonham quite clearly on Bron Yr Aur Stomp on DVD.

Edited by Mook

On 2/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, William Austin said:

Today I was listening to Thank You, and for some reason, I could hear the backing vocals more prominently than I ever have before (possibly due to listening through my computer speakers rather than my main stereo speakers).

To my ears, the other voice singing the line, "little drops of rain, whisper of the pain" (which comes through almost louder than Plant's voice) belongs to Bonham. However, it is Page that is listed as the backing vocals of the song on its Wikipedia page.

Anyone know who it is?

Man I love this group cause we are all such crazy fans that we think about things like this. 

I've been enjoying revisiting the Classic Albums documentary series and it sucks that one was never done... on Zep 2 or 4... or whatever. Having all the band members with sound engineers commenting on the making of an album would be a treasure. We might get answers to questions like this from the source. Such a shame they didn't do one. It's not too late though.  

Edited by porgie66

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

I've been enjoying revisiting the Classic Albums documentary series and it sucks that one was never done... on Zep 2 or 4... or whatever. Having all the band members with sound engineers commenting on the making of an album would be a treasure. We might get answers to questions like this from the source. Such a shame they didn't do one. It's not too late though.  

The fact they never did should be taken advantage of. Someone should approach Jimmy with this as an idea and beat it into him until accepted. A series where the albums are dissected and explored in the same manor. The boys commenting and engineers/producers also chiming in. It would be fking GREAT. There was no better rock outfit in the '70's. Led Zeppelin deserves a great in depth series on the albums.

4 hours ago, rm2551 said:

The fact they never did should be taken advantage of. Someone should approach Jimmy with this as an idea and beat it into him until accepted. A series where the albums are dissected and explored in the same manor. The boys commenting and engineers/producers also chiming in. It would be fking GREAT. There was no better rock outfit in the '70's. Led Zeppelin deserves a great in depth series on the albums.

It's hard to believe they weren't approached by the producers of Classic Albums at some point. If not, surely Jimmy is aware of the series. I haven't checked but I think the series may not be in production any longer but, an in depth analysis of even one iconic album would be huge, if it were BY THEM. Then we could actually hear the solo backing vocal track on Thank You for example. 

I recently started to watch a Physical Grafitti special because someone told me it was a " Classic Album" video, and I was sure it wasn't, but anyway....it was a disappointing program. The usual pablum.

This is something that should've been worked up for the 50th ... especially with Glynn Johns, Eddie Kramer or George Chkiantz. 

Maybe they just want to keep things mystical and mysterious. 

16 hours ago, porgie66 said:

It's hard to believe they weren't approached by the producers of Classic Albums at some point. If not, surely Jimmy is aware of the series. I haven't checked but I think the series may not be in production any longer but, an in depth analysis of even one iconic album would be huge, if it were BY THEM. Then we could actually hear the solo backing vocal track on Thank You for example. 

I recently started to watch a Physical Grafitti special because someone told me it was a " Classic Album" video, and I was sure it wasn't, but anyway....it was a disappointing program. The usual pablum.

This is something that should've been worked up for the 50th ... especially with Glynn Johns, Eddie Kramer or George Chkiantz. 

Maybe they just want to keep things mystical and mysterious. 

I’d imagine it’s not something that fits with Jimmy’s vision of how the band should be presented. Also allowing Classic Albums to make a documentary would mean relinquishing some element of control over the final product. The Beatles and Stones haven’t been featured either.

• 3 years later...

Weird - I always thought it was Jimmy singing backing vocals on Thank You and was convinced that I'd actually read a quote where Jimmy said that it was him.
But I can't find it anywhere, so now I'm wondering if my brain's turned an assumption into a false fact! Getting old, man...
I'm torn re. a 'classic albums' type of documentary. On the one hand, yes, I'd love to know all about it.
On the other hand, do I really want all the magic and ambiguities explained away?
Hmmm...

Edited by Brigante