Robert Plant Announces Podcast 'Digging Deep' June 3rd

zeplz71

4 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'm glad he's finally got around to talking about Zep tunes, but his reluctance to give any true insight or details about the song production is frustrating. He constantly beats around the bush and makes jokes but never really tells us anything we don't already know. Car crash? Check. Wheelchair? Check. Based on Morocco? Check. I did find it interesting that he mentions Maureen's morphine use after the crash. Could that have been what caused their split? 

Plant is the master of using flowery language to not answer anything he doesn't want to. Ironically, similar to Page's interviews. I like hearing both of them talk, so I listen to these kind of things, but I'm not expecting to hear any great revelation tbh.

6 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'm glad he's finally got around to talking about Zep tunes, but his reluctance to give any true insight or details about the song production is frustrating. He constantly beats around the bush and makes jokes but never really tells us anything we don't already know. Car crash? Check. Wheelchair? Check. Based on Morocco? Check. I did find it interesting that he mentions Maureen's morphine use after the crash. Could that have been what caused their split? 

Doubt it - I would predict his infidelity was the impetus to their splitting up. 

So far it's been pretty enjoyable to listen to but I'm not getting much in the way of depth.   Everything Uncle Bob has discussed he's touched on in previous interviews but he's definitely fun to listen to. 

At a minimum, he managed to avoid the unholy trinity of JPP answers, "Yeah, sure and okay."

Old Bob would certainly my pick for a pub mate out of the boys. :friends:

Edited by Paimonus Rex

5 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Doesn't he have a child with her too (the sister)? 

What a life! RP's is def the book/auto bio I'd most like to read. 

Jesse is Plant's kid with Shirley. Complicated!

Plant will never do an autobiography though. He's said as much. Shame. The one I'd love to see write something like that, is JPJ, maybe that'll happen one day.

Some great lines in episode 3.

He was just a wedding singer at the front of a tremendous three piece band.

"It's not a Yes song, it's not from Tales from Topographic Oceans."

Presence is not an easy listen.  It's not something you would have a nice listen with your girlfriend and a glass of wine.

When his ladyfriend said Achilles was so intense she could not be left alone in a room with it on.

His points about how a vocal can work even if you don't understand it - he talked about the Moroccan vocals he heard, and how the Beatles are loved in all kinds of places where people do not understand English.

The beauty and "absurdities" of Morocco and how funny the people are.

I’d like to hear an episode where Robert speaks about recording (unreleased) Led Zeppelin tracks including “Fire”, “Swansong”, etc and those solo tracks from a few years ago with Danny Lanois.

R😎

Robert seems genuinely humble with the comments about being a wedding singer in front of an epic band. I do hope he realises how he is equal part to the rest in creating the pure magic that emerged. From early on with his killer strong blues delivery matching and at time driving what Jimmy was doing all the way to the end with beautiful lyrics delivered perfectly.

Equal with all.

I always liked when robert plant talked about music in general, the history of of rock and the blues and current music. I think he could have one of the most interesting podcasts out there if "he" interviewed other musicians and if he expanded on that with interviewing other important and interesting people. Also, there were cool interviews with page and plant that were like conversations and were interesting...like the one with dave grohl and a few others. 

3 hours ago, kirchzep27 said:

I always liked when robert plant talked about music in general, the history of of rock and the blues and current music. I think he could have one of the most interesting podcasts out there if "he" interviewed other musicians and if he expanded on that with interviewing other important and interesting people. Also, there were cool interviews with page and plant that were like conversations and were interesting...like the one with dave grohl and a few others. 

Yes, indeed. I mentioned this a few months ago, suggesting Robert interview others as he has a perfect calming speaking voice for radio / podcasting.  I’m glad he has a podcast now, but wish he’d dive deeper and interview others, too. 

R😎

29 minutes ago, anniemouse said:

I wish BBC 6 Music would give him a show. Iggy Pop, Martin freeman and Cillian Murphy have all done shows so Robert would be amazing.

Yes. Or Sirius XM.

R😎

• 2 weeks later...
On July 11, 2019 at 12:15 AM, reids said:

Yes, indeed. I mentioned this a few months ago, suggesting Robert interview others as he has a perfect calming speaking voice for radio / podcasting.  I’m glad he has a podcast now, but wish he’d dive deeper and interview others, too. 

R😎

Yup me too, i remember there was a time for me in the 80s after reading robert plant interviews, where i was immediately going to record stores and buying huusker du and willie dixon at the same time.

Even when he touched upon subjects in the news he was always very centered and smart in responses. I actually would think that someone of his intellect would be very interested in exploring the knowledge of podcasts for education.  

There are comedians and actors with podcasts where they interview people on different subjects and its very interesting....especially when the 2 people talking....are interesting people. Makes for a very listenable and educational podcast. So what i was trying to say was, that i would like to see robert plant continue his podcast, after he is done discussing his own music...being he himself is such a well spoken and interesting person...interview others

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...