Jimmy Page is releasing £1,600 signed photo prints of his guitars

Rodrigo

If he sold ALL of these to anyone who has no sense whatsoever, it comes to this:

4 Pictures x 75 @ £1600 each ( OK let's assume the framed pictures are sold) £480,000 quid. OK I understand he has to sign them, which must have interrupted his game of Scrabble or whatever he gets up to with his missus for a while. Frame them and print them but...…….???

Beats working eh man?

Page doesn't owe anybody anything but it makes me sad that his peers are still creating and playing music while he does stuff like this.

I suppose at least he's stopped with the comments about a solo album. Seems he's not even kidding himself anymore on that front...

3 hours ago, tom kid said:

Page doesn't owe anybody anything but it makes me sad that his peers are still creating and playing music while he does stuff like this.

I suppose at least he's stopped with the comments about a solo album. Seems he's not even kidding himself anymore on that front...

+1

It would not surprise me if Genesis publications touted the idea for these limited edition prints.  Expensive they may be but they will sell out. The target demographic is mainly the older, wealthier "fan" possibly retired, out to spend/invest their money on things that will increase in value. Things their kids can sell because there won't be much left when the care homes get their hands on their houses.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:58 AM, chillumpuffer said:

If he sold ALL of these to anyone who has no sense whatsoever, it comes to this:

4 Pictures x 75 @ £1600 each ( OK let's assume the framed pictures are sold) £480,000 quid. OK I understand he has to sign them, which must have interrupted his game of Scrabble or whatever he gets up to with his missus for a while. Frame them and print them but...…….???

Beats working eh man?

One can only hope that money goes into a project to release some of the live stuff he has on tape. With current technology - and as has been proven even in this forum by clever remasters and fan releases, a LOT is possible. So good luck to him banking the coin. I just hope it goes into developing something with actual MUSIC.

Surely Jimmy doesn't need to flog anything to raise income for owt, though - he's got more than enough rolling in to cover anything he'll ever need, no? 
Stuff like this makes me glad I don't have the Collector Gene - it must drive collectors mental knowing that stuff like this is out there but it's out of their grasp.   
People should do what they want with their own money but, frankly, anyone who'll spend 1600 quid on a photo deserves to spend 1600 quid on a photo...

Edited by Brigante

He’s sold so many autographed things now, and will probably continue to do so that   I believe he’s devaluing them. I bought two Led Zeppelin 4 signed prints around 2002, before he started selling polo shirts and signed anything-he-could-find-lying-around I’m starting to think I shouldn’t have bothered. 

Maybe he should get a shop and just sell signed stuff for the rest of his days. It all seems quite tawdry to me

4 hours ago, jsj said:

I bought two Led Zeppelin 4 signed prints around 2002, before he started selling polo shirts and signed anything-he-could-find-lying-around I’m starting to think I shouldn’t have bothered.

Totally disagree - those are great prints/posters. I wish I had one myself, so don't regret getting one. They're really cool and limited in number. 

4 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Totally disagree - those are great prints/posters. I wish I had one myself, so don't regret getting one. They're really cool and limited in number. 

You’re probably right. They sell for more than double the price I paid for them now. My plan was to sell one when they reached this price, so effectively getting one for free. I paid £750 framed each, now they’re £1500+. I’ll do so when the gallery sell the last one and they’ve increased the price more 

But a signed photo for £1600? To buy all four of these signed photos will cost £6400! It’s nuts. No one on this forum, so far, seems to think it’s a good thing. What was the price of a signed J.P. book, however many years ago it was? At least that had substance to it. Now it’s all just cashing in, and he has a very high rating of his own signature’s worth. Seemingly higher than most of us on here agree with

I remember SAJ commenting something like -some of us want a Jaguar, not a Ford- when the first signed Page luxury edition book was released, ten years ago? and some forum commenters wondered why it was better to buy that instead of the unsigned plain version. Which was fair enough at that time

Now it seems Page is signing Fords and passing them off as Jaguars 

Personally I'm in the boat where 1600 quid for a print with a signature on it is just crass. But I'm not under the illusion that it's too highly priced for the market (if it sells, it sells). If, say, I had a few hundred k in the bank instead of bugger all, to buy anything I liked that will probably not lose its value would make sense. A signed JP print showing a snapshot of his legacy? Even better. Fuck it, if I have enough money I'll buy them all and create an artificial scarcity to drive up the price. To a very rich bloke, paying £200k for a Lamborghini is not unlike most of us spending 40 quid for food in a nice restaurant. Not something you can do every day or week but no big financial impact.

If there wasn't such growing wealth inequality as there is, maybe there wouldn't be so many people willing to pay for this sort of stuff. £1600 could buy me a very nice new or used Les Paul or Tele. Fancy that, a whole premium guitar for the price of a photo print with some bloke's pen scribble on it!

But what I'm saying is that if I had a few hundred thousand or more in the bank, the price of these prints wouldn't really have much of a financial impact. What is to most people in England a full month's net wages (or more) is to some a day's or even an hour's pay.

Edited by SilverVishnu