From the vault - My front row pix from the 1975 tour - Part 2

18strings

Front row for all three shows? Well done, sir. These photos really capture a special moment in time. I am praying that you have more to share for I have yet to see any "No Quarter" shots with the sea of dry ice or some of Jimmy Page playing the Danelectro or Jimmy's bow solo spectacular. 

Question: How many rolls of colour and how many rolls of black-and-white did you shoot?

Edited by Strider

On 7/31/2020 at 3:34 PM, hummingbird69 said:

Always love to see photos that weren't taken by all the known photographers.   Great shots!!!   One of them may make my new avatar! as long as there's no problem.

No problem. Happy to share. So happy you and the others here are enjoying them. 

4 minutes ago, 18strings said:

No problem. Happy to share. So happy you and the others here are enjoying them. 

Truly some of the best new pictures I’ve seen of the band in the last decade.  Absolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing these

20 hours ago, Strider said:

Front row for all three shows? Well done, sir. These photos really capture a special moment in time. I am praying that you have more to share for I have yet to see any "No Quarter" shots with the sea of dry ice or some of Jimmy Page playing the Danelectro or Jimmy's bow solo spectacular. 

Question: How many rolls of colour and how many rolls of black-and-white did you shoot?

Actually front row for 2 shows, second row for the other one. $8.75 per ticket, so crazy by today's standards. I still can't get my head around it. There are quite a few more, but lots of blurs from them moving too fast for my shutter speed, some just out of focus, sometimes they turned their heads, so it's just hair. The ones I posted were the best shots. I shot three rolls of Ektachrome, 36 shots per roll. To be totally honest, they were all shot in color. Some of them just looked better when I removed the color on my computer. Some of them needed virtually no touch up in the computer. Others required a lot of work. Most are full frame, but some were cropped. I'll go back over them and see if there are more that are close to the quality of these. 

Just now, TM said:

Truly some of the best new pictures I’ve seen of the band in the last decade.  Absolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing these

Thanks! The reactions from everyone here are very gratifying. What drives me crazy is that I have more from 71 and maybe 72 somewhere. Not the same seats to be sure, but still. Probably still in the attic at the home I grew up in!

12 hours ago, duckman said:

Wow, Thanks for these unexpected treasures...do you remember what kinda gear you used during those days, SLR, lenses...??? (I'm a camera geek you know 🤓)

Yep. I still have the stuff. Honeywell Pentax H1a with a Vivitar 85-205 zoom lens (about a foot long). Keep in mind that there were no metal detectors and no pat downs way back then. I just put it under my jacket and hoped for the best. Still stunned that the security people didn't take it during the show or confiscate my film. 

2 hours ago, 18strings said:

Yep. I still have the stuff. Honeywell Pentax H1a with a Vivitar 85-205 zoom lens (about a foot long). Keep in mind that there were no metal detectors and no pat downs way back then. I just put it under my jacket and hoped for the best. Still stunned that the security people didn't take it during the show or confiscate my film. 

You must have seen Neal Preston down there taking photos? Do you remember the shutter speed you used? How fast a film did you use...800 or higher?

55 minutes ago, Strider said:

You must have seen Neal Preston down there taking photos? Do you remember the shutter speed you used? How fast a film did you use...800 or higher?

Slide film is usually pretty low, like 64 or 100 which is why I commented earlier that he did a great job considering is slide film. 

1 hour ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Slide film is usually pretty low, like 64 or 100 which is why I commented earlier that he did a great job considering is slide film. 

Damn....that is low. I took a camera to Judas Priest in 1984 and all I had was a roll of 200 and only three of the 36 shots turned out halfway decent. The rest was a blurry mess.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Damn....that is low. I took a camera to Judas Priest in 1984 and all I had was a roll of 200 and only three of the 36 shots turned out halfway decent. The rest was a blurry mess.

Yeah, that was the problem. I think I was shooting at 1/60, so you totally get it. I think it was six rolls of 36 over two nights, so 216 shots. About half of them were way too blurry for even the biggest fans. Then another 50 were just bad shots, for a variety of reasons. That left about 60 which were decent including the ones I shared here. Of course these days with digital, you can shoot all you want with no development costs. I was in the pit for the Rolling Stones in Phoenix last year. I probably took 300 shots between my camera and my phone + a handful of videos. So much easier these days.