The Vaccine for Covid is coming fast

LedZeppfan1977

Unlike our friends in Europe - they're doing it righ:

Denmark has lifted all COVID restrictions. Unfortunately, the U.S. cannot do the same thing

| Opinion BY ANDRES OPPENHEIMER FEBRUARY 09, 2022 5:29 PM AP

Denmark has become the first country to lift all domestic COVID- restrictions and to allow people to return to fully normal lives. But I’m not sure that what works for Denmark would work for the rest of us — at least not yet. I reached that conclusion after interviewing Danish health minister Magnus Heunicke, and following the decision by Norway and other European countries to start dismantling their own restrictions. At least five U.S. states — New York, New Jersey, Oregon, Connecticut and Delaware — announced in recent days that they will lift statewide mask mandates, amid a wider debate about whether the time has come to lift all COVID-19 restrictions. Denmark announced its decision on Feb. 1, as COVID-19 infection rates were still growing and the country had one of the world’s highest COVID-19 contagion rates, according to the University of Oxford’s Our World in Data pandemic tracker. 

But Health Minister Heunicke told me that the rise in contagions did not stop the government from lifting its virus restrictions because the country’s main goal — protecting the elderly — had been achieved. The virus is no longer a “critical threat” because almost all adults aged 65 and older are vaccinated, and the omicron variant is not as deadly as the previous one, he said. “When you look at the people over the age of 65 in Denmark, 94% of them have gotten three shots,” Heunicke told me. “So that is very important, and a very big part of the explanation on why we can do this at this early stage in Denmark.”

Among the general population, 80% of Danes are vaccinated with two shots, and 60% with three shots. “Our campaign for the third shot has been really targeting those vulnerable groups that we know are in danger of a severe illness,” Heunicke told me. Denmark now only requires visitors from abroad to show proof of vaccination when they enter the country. But once you have entered, all restrictions have been suspended, he said. “Everything is open. Nightclubs, bars, restaurants and cinemas are open, and you don’t have to wear face masks in public areas,” he added. “The only exception is when you are visiting elderly homes and hospitals.” When I mentioned that the World Health Organization has stated that, “It’s premature for any country to either surrender or declare victory,” and that it is “concerned” about other countries rushing to follow Denmark’s steps, Heunicke nodded in agreement. “Well, it is always wise to listen very carefully to the WHO and then to look at your own numbers,” Heunicke said. “That is why this is not something we recommend all other countries to do tomorrow.” The Miami Debate A weekly look at thought-provoking opinions from the Miami Herald’s Editorial Board, fresh insights from columnists and other local views.

. Indeed, the United States and most Latin American countries are far behind Denmark in vaccinating their people. Only 44% of Americans 65 or older have received a booster or additional primary dose of COVID-19 vaccine, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported in December. While that figure may have risen somewhat since, it’s still way below Denmark’s vaccination rate for the same demographic. In Latin America, where vaccination rates in most countries are lower than those in the United States, lifting COVID-19 restrictions would be even more dangerous. “We have to keep in mind that Europe is one or two months ahead in time,” Jarbas Barbosa, a top official of the Pan-American Health Organization, told me. “The omicron variant started circulating in Europe long before it did in Latin America.” Therefore, we cannot compare Europe with the United States or Latin America when it comes to lifting COVID-19 restrictions. While Denmark and other European countries have virtually all people over 65 fully vaccinated with three shots, and the omicron variant has already started to decrease, the Western Hemisphere is nowhere near those benchmarks. Let’s congratulate Denmark for what it’s doing and drastically speed up our vaccination rates at home. But don’t make the mistake of saying, “If it’s safe to do it in Denmark, it’s safe to do it here.” It’s not.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/andres-oppenheimer/article258223498.html#storylink=cpy

Early ‘lab-grown’ Covid virus found in sample lends weight to Wuhan theory

Sarah Knapton
Wed, February 9, 2022, 7:36 AM

Wuhan Institute of Virology - Reuters/Thomas Peter

An early version of Covid-19 that appears to have been grown in a laboratory has been discovered in samples from a Chinese biotechnology firm.

The finding lends weight to claims that the virus may have started life as a lab experiment that accidentally leaked out.

Bioinformatics experts from the University of Veterinary Medicine and Lorand University in Budapest, Hungary, made the discovery by accident while examining genetic data from soil samples collected from Antarctica in late 2018 and early 2019.

The samples were sent to Sangon Biotech in Shanghai for sequencing in Dec 2019, where they became contaminated with a previously unknown variant of Covid-19.

The variant has mutations that bridge the gap between bat coronavirus and the earliest Wuhan strain, so it may be an ancestral version of the virus.

The samples also contain DNA from hamsters and monkeys, suggesting that the early virus may have been grown in animal cell lines.

Viscount Ridley, author of Viral: The Search for the Origin of Covid-19, said: “The unique mutations hint at it being an ancestral variant. So if it was sequenced in say mid-December, before anybody had identified the virus in people and started trying to grow it in labs, then it points to secret samples in labs in 2019.”

Commenting on the animal DNA discovered, he said: “These are not from seals or penguins but from African green monkeys and Chinese hamsters. Both species are the source of commonly used laboratory cell lines.”

Sangon Biotech in the spotlight

Sangon Biotech is frequently used by Chinese scientists for sequencing, including the Wuhan Institute of Virology, which some experts think is the most likely location for a leak.

The exact date at which the DNA extraction took place is uncertain. However, researchers say that if it took place in December 2019, the virus could be the ancestor of the original human Wuhan strain.

2 minutes ago, Stryder1978 said:

Early ‘lab-grown’ Covid virus found in sample lends weight to Wuhan theory

Sarah Knapton
Wed, February 9, 2022, 7:36 AM

An early version of Covid-19 that appears to have been grown in a laboratory has been discovered in samples from a Chinese biotechnology firm.

The finding lends weight to claims that the virus may have started life as a lab experiment that accidentally leaked out.

Bioinformatics experts from the University of Veterinary Medicine and Lorand University in Budapest, Hungary, made the discovery by accident while examining genetic data from soil samples collected from Antarctica in late 2018 and early 2019.

The samples were sent to Sangon Biotech in Shanghai for sequencing in Dec 2019, where they became contaminated with a previously unknown variant of Covid-19.

The variant has mutations that bridge the gap between bat coronavirus and the earliest Wuhan strain, so it may be an ancestral version of the virus.

The samples also contain DNA from hamsters and monkeys, suggesting that the early virus may have been grown in animal cell lines.

Viscount Ridley, author of Viral: The Search for the Origin of Covid-19, said: “The unique mutations hint at it being an ancestral variant. So if it was sequenced in say mid-December, before anybody had identified the virus in people and started trying to grow it in labs, then it points to secret samples in labs in 2019.”

Commenting on the animal DNA discovered, he said: “These are not from seals or penguins but from African green monkeys and Chinese hamsters. Both species are the source of commonly used laboratory cell lines.”

Sangon Biotech in the spotlight

Sangon Biotech is frequently used by Chinese scientists for sequencing, including the Wuhan Institute of Virology, which some experts think is the most likely location for a leak.

The exact date at which the DNA extraction took place is uncertain. However, researchers say that if it took place in December 2019, the virus could be the ancestor of the original human Wuhan strain.

perhaps it took origin the day Faucci gave them a big fat check

8 hours ago, custard pie man said:

raise your hand if you actually voted for this total pos

Raise your hand if you didn’t vote for the the other total pos! People who talk about turn out, and all the Let’s go Brandon Memes. Stuck in a sheep world. Those who wanted to follow a want to be tyrannical leader raise their hands. Those right wing believers who all the sudden think Putin is cool raise their hand! 

Here is the point, the right love to talk about the left and being the sheep! Except the right just spouts out whatever bullshit Tucker C, or Sean H, or Ben Shapiro has to say. If someone actually thought that the previous administration was good, and that they were good for the country then we have a set of problems to discuss. If you would like to talk about his VP being a good man, someone I could see myself voting for, or talk about Mitt being a good man/person with dignity, then I’m willing to listen. But when people try and compare that total ass hat of a human to whoever else that everyone in America voted for, it’s funny, he had a bunch of country bumpkins at his rallies, you know that’s not a representation of America. It is certainly a part of it. But not all of it. I’ll make this clear, I identify as a independent, and just based off of being a person with decency I couldn’t stand one more day with that lying, conniving, trash bin. 

I would have voted for a fence post over him. Americans need to wake up. All this talk about left and right, other countries are leaving us in the dust in most major categories. Specifically education, tech, and maybe more importantly patriotism. 

I’ve never wanted any President to fail, no matter if I voted for them or not. Yes, a vast majority of the left wanted Trump to Fail, and I don’t agree with that either. How about this, let’s try and not vote in Qanon quacks on the right, and the left should focus on not voting in cancel culture vultures. Goddamn I’m so sick of this team mentality. 

And just for fun, let’s see who has created bigger government under which party, and who has had a better economy. We can go back to WW2. One group says they are for smaller government but has increased its size every term they were in office, and that group also says they are better for the economy, except they have ruined the economy, or have had very little effect on its growth. And there are some educated people on this forum. These are easy stats to fact check. 10 of the 11 recessions we have had since 1953 onward have been under Republican administrations. That’s a fact. Is “ Sleepy Joe” a good President, so far not so great. Let’s not try and act like he didn’t have a shit storm to clean up. When the previous administration took over, they lied about all the stuff they had to fix. Economy was strong, healthcare which is a major issue was trying to be fixed, maybe it was because a black man was in office, and so many Americans can’t stand it. 

Sorry to ramble, I’m just tired of the right acting like they are the tough guys who are going to right the ship. And I’m tired of the left being whimps and not actually doing what they say, or should be doing. 

Facts matter. Yes I said it. No matter who is in office, let’s try and get behind each other and our community and make a difference. Instead of letting these lobbyists, and big corporations dictate what the hell happens to us and our politicians and policies. 

5 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Raise your hand if you didn’t vote for the the other total pos! People who talk about turn out, and all the Let’s go Brandon Memes. Stuck in a sheep world. Those who wanted to follow a want to be tyrannical leader raise their hands. Those right wing believers who all the sudden think Putin is cool raise their hand! 

Here is the point, the right love to talk about the left and being the sheep! Except the right just spouts out whatever bullshit Tucker C, or Sean H, or Ben Shapiro has to say. If someone actually thought that the previous administration was good, and that they were good for the country then we have a set of problems to discuss. If you would like to talk about his VP being a good man, someone I could see myself voting for, or talk about Mitt being a good man/person with dignity, then I’m willing to listen. But when people try and compare that total ass hat of a human to whoever else that everyone in America voted for, it’s funny, he had a bunch of country bumpkins at his rallies, you know that’s not a representation of America. It is certainly a part of it. But not all of it. I’ll make this clear, I identify as a independent, and just based off of being a person with decency I couldn’t stand one more day with that lying, conniving, trash bin. 

I would have voted for a fence post over him. Americans need to wake up. All this talk about left and right, other countries are leaving us in the dust in most major categories. Specifically education, tech, and maybe more importantly patriotism. 

I’ve never wanted any President to fail, no matter if I voted for them or not. Yes, a vast majority of the left wanted Trump to Fail, and I don’t agree with that either. How about this, let’s try and not vote in Qanon quacks on the right, and the left should focus on not voting in cancel culture vultures. Goddamn I’m so sick of this team mentality. 

And just for fun, let’s see who has created bigger government under which party, and who has had a better economy. We can go back to WW2. One group says they are for smaller government but has increased its size every term they were in office, and that group also says they are better for the economy, except they have ruined the economy, or have had very little effect on its growth. And there are some educated people on this forum. These are easy stats to fact check. 10 of the 11 recessions we have had since 1953 onward have been under Republican administrations. That’s a fact. Is “ Sleepy Joe” a good President, so far not so great. Let’s not try and act like he didn’t have a shit storm to clean up. When the previous administration took over, they lied about all the stuff they had to fix. Economy was strong, healthcare which is a major issue was trying to be fixed, maybe it was because a black man was in office, and so many Americans can’t stand it. 

Sorry to ramble, I’m just tired of the right acting like they are the tough guys who are going to right the ship. And I’m tired of the left being whimps and not actually doing what they say, or should be doing. 

Facts matter. Yes I said it. No matter who is in office, let’s try and get behind each other and our community and make a difference. Instead of letting these lobbyists, and big corporations dictate what the hell happens to us and our politicians and policies. 

Are you happy now?   You got exactly what you wanted a fence post for a president. Enjoy the grass as you languish along the primrose path the left is walking you  down.

Edited by hummingbird69

8 hours ago, Plant77 said:

I didn't vote for Obama because he struck as an anti american, however I wanted him to succeed, he didn't, economy was weak, morale low, defense was horrible but he got us socialized medicine, yikes, Trump came in and righted the ship, lets see  he secured the border, cut down  on crime, increased wages for all americans and minorities especially over the previous  minority president, stopped war by building our military, took out terrorist with quick drone strikes, created fair trade, went after China for their manipulation of the dollar, balanced trade with them in forms of tariffs, saved or brought back the factories and jobs that Obama/ Biden destroyed, had energy independence which also created thousands more of good paying jobs, fought for school choice which we know the democrats are dead against, even went after that useless NATO and told the countries to pay their fair share, things were going so well that only  the China virus could derail what Trump accomplished all the while another known fact is the democrats, FBI, and CIA colluded to derail his presidency even before he took the oath, Durham just concluded what most already knew, these bogus investigations started and were paid for by the Clintons, now fast forward  one year later and look at what Biden and his friends have done to this country, lost energy independence, wars starting up because of his weakness and ineptness, the Afgan debacle, inflation at a 40 year high, millions pouring in the border because of His policies, bringing  enough drugs to kill us all, and biggest negative of all is losing our freedom and constitution with mandate after mandate, these are just a few facts! Biden is an utter disaster and media and big tech are doing all they can to protect what a real time disaster the democrats have self created in just  one short year, sorry to vent, time  to relax and enjoy super bowl

On 2/11/2022 at 1:14 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Up to their old tricks:

Australian Police Storm Catholic Mass Searching for Unmasked | Sara A. Carter (saraacarter.com)

Interesting how the Australian and Austrian governments seem to be in a competition to see who's more loathsome.  

I'd like to thank China and the USA for putting the world in this position for creating and spreading the virus in the first place. 

What is disturbing about the church incident apart from the police is that someone dobbed them in.

This just in and sure to upset a few people.

Crown Resorts accepts $8.9 billion takeover bid from American private equity firm Blackstone (9news.com.au)

7 hours ago, cryingbluerain said:

Not a mask in sight at the Super Bowl while the kids in school are forced to wear them.  Talk about child abuse..

https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2022/02/14/super-bowl-mask-hypocrisy-was-on-bold-display-while-kids-in-school-still-have-to-suffer-n521899

do as I say and not as I do! let them eat cake, remember cnn trying their best to explain why Obama and his leftist at his mansion had no masks " they were highly sophisticated"

I know this is stating the obvious, but......

Most local COVID deaths involve chronic conditions

b715488e5f0cd103cf28b1e6768aaffe
Nicole Cobler
Tue, February 15, 2022, 5:20 AM

Reproduced from Austin Public Health; Chart: Axios Visuals

Local health officials have released new data that reveals virtually everyone who died from COVID-19 in Austin-Travis County had chronic health conditions.

The big picture: At least 1,282 people have died from the coronavirus in the last two years, and local health officials found that 95% of those victims had at least one comorbidity.

• More than half had two or more.

• Hypertension, diabetes and cardiac disease accounted for many of the underlying conditions associated with local COVID deaths, city data shows.

Get market news worthy of your time with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free.

Why it matters: The figures give us a better understanding of who is most at-risk for severe illness and makes it all the more important to increase vaccinations, health officials say.

• "Much of our community is at high risk for COVID-19 due to comorbidities," said Desmar Walkes, Austin-Travis County Health Authority. "These patients often experience severe symptoms of the virus, which can mean longer hospital stays and death."

• Residents with medical conditions should get vaccinated and boosted as soon as possible, Walkes added.