All My Love

Aitch58

Just curious, why is this track so well liked by Zep fans? 

For me personally, this track is SO not Zep's style. It's a pleasant pop song, no more, no less. But considering the band's previous recordings, it just doesn't sit right. 

Like I said, this is just my opinion.

I've been a massive Zep fan since buying Houses Of The Holy back in 1973 when I was 15 years old. From then on I was hooked. 

I appreciate that the band never stayed stuck in one groove, and thats one reason I love them, but this track? I dunno, I just don' t get it. 

1 hour ago, Aitch58 said:

I think a part of it is It's a part of their skillset to produce that kind of variety. From D'yer Maker to Communication Breakdown to Down By the Seaside to so on and so on.... Even the re-release with the extra's had even more with stuff like 10 Ribs & All / Carrot Pod Pod and St Tristan's Sword which sounded like the opening to a '70's action packed "hard edged cop/detective" type of TV show.

Plus like SAJ says, find a more poignant song than that!

....and that middle section is magic.

Fair comments, like I said, just curious as to what others thought. 

Not trying to knock the song per se, just, for me, it doesn't really sit right. 

Sounds to me something like Plant would have recorded about the time of Pictures At Eleven, as a solo artist. 

Edited by Aitch58
Put a space in between two words

This would be a tough song to knock given the subject matter, but I've never attempted to. I was hooked the 1st time I heard it on FM radio years ago when I was first getting into Zeppelin. For me it goes back to what I like most about my favorites bands--Rush and STP included--and that would be the musical variety & different styles of musicianship.

Or the "Light and Shade" as Zep coined it during their years together. Btw, I've always slightly favored the live cuts from the Tour over Europe to the one from the album...

Ok, let me re-emphasise, I'm not knocking the song. I'm fully aware of what the song is about. I'm merely saying that in my opinion I don't see it as a Zep song, more of a Plant solo song. So for me it doesn't sit comfortably in the Zep catalog. And yes, I totally get that Zep were about light and shade, thats what made them so interesting. 

But having said that, I respect other folks opinions, was just curious to hear what their opinions were. 

Peace. :)

54 minutes ago, Aitch58 said:

So for me it doesn't sit comfortably in the Zep catalog.

The Zep catalog is so diverse, I wonder if there are other tracks you don't think sit comfortably in it?  Growing up in the 70s I would hear this point about numerous songs on each album starting with LZ III  as it was released.  

D'yer Mak'er

Most of In Through The Out Door. 

However, it's all subjective. Everyone has certain songs that they don't take to as much as others. 

I love Zeppelin, but I don't necessarily love every single thing they recorded. Like I say, its all down to individual tastes. 

However, I think most people on here would agree, there will never be another band like Led Zeppelin. They left a legacy which few, if any, can equal. 

3 hours ago, Aitch58 said:

I'm merely saying that in my opinion I don't see it as a Zep song, more of a Plant solo song. So for me it doesn't sit comfortably in the Zep catalog. 

Fair enough but the fact remains it IS a Led Zeppelin song. We'll never know for certain what musical direction they may have taken together in the future.

We agree on that point, friend. 

Not taking anything away from Jason Bonham, who is a phenomenal drummer, a chip off the old block, but with John Bonham's passing what constituted Led  Zeppelin as a foursome finished as well. What might have followed, musically, is anyone's guess. 

I've always thought that if Zeppelin released an album in the early 80s it would have followed in the same footsteps as ITTOD & the entire new wave vibe of the 80s (synthesizers and all). I know JP has said he wanted to do something in more of a hard rock vibe, but given his drug addled state, I think Jonesy still would have been the driving force if their had been a 9th studio album....

Edited by paul carruthers

You could well be right. JPJ was getting more into the new technology at that time. But lets not forget, it was Jonesy who came up with the riff to Black Dog. He could, and still can, rock with the best of them. 

Edited by Aitch58
Correct a spelling mistake

28 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

I've always thought that if Zeppelin released an album in the early 80s it would have followed in the same footsteps as ITTOD & the entire new wave vibe of the 80s (synthesizers and all). I know JP has said he wanted to do something in more of a hard rock vibe, but given his drug addled state, I think Jonesy still would have been the driving force if their had been a 9th studio album....

Possibly. In my opinion, it was 50/50 at best that they would have continued once their contractual obligations to Atlantic Records were met with the next album. Of course we'll never know for certain.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:43 AM, Aitch58 said:

Ok, let me re-emphasise, I'm not knocking the song. I'm fully aware of what the song is about. I'm merely saying that in my opinion I don't see it as a Zep song, more of a Plant solo song. So for me it doesn't sit comfortably in the Zep catalog. And yes, I totally get that Zep were about light and shade, thats what made them so interesting. 

But having said that, I respect other folks opinions, was just curious to hear what their opinions were. 

Peace. :)

Well, to be fair it is kind of a Plant solo song with the other three involved as any and all such songs within a bands (any bands) catalogue typically are. This was a song Plant wrote about the passing of his son and he and Jones (mostly Jones) wrote the music. So though it is a Zep song and part of the Zep catalogue I personally consider it more of a Plant project. I really like the song, always have but I feel the song "I Believe" off of Fate of Nations is a superior song in general.

Fantastic song. Another perfect example of what separates zeppelin from the rest. Instead of a guitar/drum driven song like Kashmir, it’s a synth/vocalist driven song. A dimension of zeppelin (Jones/plant) that was never delivered until that album. Love it. 

On 8/3/2021 at 6:41 AM, Aitch58 said:

For me personally, this track is SO not Zep's style. It's a pleasant pop song, no more, no less. But considering the band's previous recordings, it just doesn't sit right. 

Like I said, this is just my opinion.

I've been a massive Zep fan since buying Houses Of The Holy back in 1973 when I was 15 years old. From then on I was hooked. 

I appreciate that the band never stayed stuck in one groove, and thats one reason I love them, but this track? I dunno, I just don' t get it. 

Have you heard the extended version?

In all honesty, no I haven't. Probably because when I listen to Zeppelin, 9 times out of 10 I tend to not listen to the In Through The Out Door tracks. I've tried to over the years, but for reasons I've explained, I never bonded with that album. 

In all honesty, no I haven't. Probably because when I listen to Zeppelin, 9 times out of 10 I tend to not listen to the In Through The Out Door tracks. I've tried to over the years, but for reasons I've explained, I never bonded with that album. 

ITTOD is, believe it or not, one of my favorite Zep albums and I was very pleasantly surprised when it was released in 79'. Several other rock bands had gone disco, such as KISS but Zeppelin went more the Roxy Music, New Wave direction instead which was great as I loved the early New Wave from 78'-82'. IMO those were some golden years for music with Thomas Dolby, Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Modern English, Joe Jackson, Nick Gelder, and the criminally underrated Rick Springfield to name just a few. My main issue with ITTOD is they kept some amazing tracks off that album (Wearing & Tearing is one example), and did not develop a couple of seriously awesome jams Jimmy brought to the sessions (Fire & Shake My Tree). The album would have had much greater balance with W&T and SMT or Fire included.

If you are not a fan of ITTOD (justifiable as it was quite the departure for LZ), just imagine how much you would have loved In the Evening or Fool in the Rain with a sweet disco beat and mellowed out harmonies. Oooofff!

The 'extended' version isn't extended in the sense of a horrible '80s 12" version - it's pretty much the released version except that it carries on and finishes after the point at which the released version fades out.
It doesn't have Jonesy's keyboard solo, but after the point at it's faded on ITTOD there's some great 'vocalising' from Robert and a short not-quite solo from Jimmy.
It also sounds as if Robert sang the whole thing in one go. Well worth hearing.

I think it's a great song and it shows their range as musicians.  It demonstrated that they could have made top 40 pop singles if they wanted to but it just wasn't on their agenda.  I have read a few places that Jimmy Page doesn't like the song, feels it was very un-Zeppelin, and may even have turned down a writing credit.  But at a true pro he still turned in some beautiful, and understated guitar work.   

I'm with the OP.  This song has never done much for me.  Page's playing on it is very good, Bonzo's drums feel a little too heavy for such a soft song.  It does (in retrospect) feel a bit like a Principle of Moments song, though POM is one of my fave Plant solo works.  To each their own.